cold weather starting

/ cold weather starting #1  

ualjack

Tractor
DK40
Hi,I have a dk40 and have a little trouble starting in the infrequent cold weather here in Oregon. but am looking at moving to Maine and was wondering if anyone could recomend a good block heater or somthing to help get started on cold days. Jack

/ cold weather starting #2  
What sort of problems are you having starting? I have a CK30 here in Maine, yesterday morning it was 5dF, I turned the key to the ON position until the glow plug light went out, turned key to glow plug on position for another 10 seconds, turned the key to start... started right up no issues. My dealer installed a heater in the lower radiator hose, have not had the need to use it.

/ cold weather starting #3  
FYI mine is in my pole building, which never gets below about 40 degrees, and it has a hard time starting in that temperature.

When I say hard time, I should clarfiy and says that it knocks like crazy, and emits smoke. Doesn't do that when its 80 out.

Still love the tractor though, I use the method described by IXLR8 to start it.

/ cold weather starting #4  
A tech at my dealer showed me a trick where you turn the key to the preheat position right after it starts, and it seems to smoothe it out quite a bit when I start my tractor cold.

/ cold weather starting #5  
Just install a block heater or inline heater and use it. Rough starting troubles will be over and it's easier on the gear.:D :D

/ cold weather starting #6  
I started my CK25 today for the first time in about a month. It's been pretty cold here too. Today, it was about 30 F when I started it. Gave it a little throttle, waited on the glow plugs light to go out, turned on started..... started right up. About 2 seconds of smoke and then starting purring like a kioti Kitten. No hesitation or slow crank. Turned right over. I would think something is not quite right there.

/ cold weather starting #7  
You say you "have a little trouble starting" but don't mention exactly what the problem is. If the engine catches and just has a real rough time idling or stalls, then use the glow plugs again after it starts. When it drops below 20F or so, I do this; I put the throttle to about 1/4 and turn the key and wait for the glow plug light to go out and then crank it. As soon as it catches and starts, I release the key to the "on" position and then turn it to the glow plug position again and hold it there until the idle is smoother (usually 2 or 3 seconds). Since the engine is running, this is not draining your battery at all as it would if you just cycled the glow plugs twice before starting.

If the problem is that it doesn't catch, then either your fuel is slightly gelled, the fuel filter is clogged, your not given it enough throttle or your glow plugs are not working properly. A block heater really just heats the oil in the pan and makes cranking a ton easier since the oil is warm and thinner and a lower radiator hose heater works good at heating the coolant and circulating it by convection but I don't beleive either is necessary until well below 0f temps in these little engines. A full size diesel truck is another story.

/ cold weather starting #8  
I alway recommend changing your fuel filter right before winter.
Also make sure you treat your fuel with an additive.
Their is a block heater available from tisco.

/ cold weather starting #9  
Do not judge the performance of all diesel engines by the the performance of one!:D :D

If you do there may be a surprise or two in your future!:D :D

/ cold weather starting #10  
Ive never had to use my glow plugs more then once. I have a block heater as well and rarely use it. The engine starts up every time first try like the day i got it. Its 3 years old in March. My temps here in Ny are commonly in the single digits and below this time of year at night.