Disconnected Backhoe - Simply turn off remote valve?

/ Disconnected Backhoe - Simply turn off remote valve? #1  

ladracer

I have a dk35 with a backhoe. i detached the backhoe for the first time yesterday to put a rake on the back. i put the stabelizer feet down, the bucket down pulled the pins, pulled the tractor forward a bit, then shut tractor down and disconnected the hoses to the hoe. driving off to hook up rake.

5 questions:

1. was the above procedure correct?
2. do i need to do anything other than cap the backhoe hoses... i read about burping them in the hydraulic section (here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/hydraulics/114818-backhoe-lines-after-removal.html#post1320546)
3. do i need to run a hose from the tractor to connect the rear remotes in a loop to avoid "dead heading" of the pump [as mentioned in the earlier post above] OR simply turn remote valve to neutral?
4. the hydraulic warning lamp is coming on and off intermittantly, i was pulling the rake a bunch in some fairly dirty dusty locations being careful to keep rpms up around 2200....any thoughts? (could this be due to the dead heading?)
5. what is the difference between A and B on the remote valve (and their uses)?

thanks

/ Disconnected Backhoe - Simply turn off remote valve? #2  
After disconnecting the hoe, return the remote valve to the neutral position, otherwise you are deadheading the pump.

BTI

/ Disconnected Backhoe - Simply turn off remote valve? #3  
BTI said:
After disconnecting the hoe, return the remote valve to the neutral position, otherwise you are deadheading the pump.

BTI
Please explain deadheading

/ Disconnected Backhoe - Simply turn off remote valve? #4  
Deadheading is giving the hydraulic fluid no where to go. This makes the pump run a max pressure all the time, pump not happy :( sooner or later a seal will say enough is enough and let go. I was told on my CK30, if the seal lets go... it fills the engine sump with the hydraulic oil, doesn't sound good for the engine operation. It also means you don't know if the seal is gone until you either get an indication that the hydraulic resevoir is low. Putting the remote valve in the neutral position allows the fluid to pass on to the next valve or back to the sump. This way the pump moves lots of fluid, but no pressure... pump is happy. :)
If you put the valve in the "A" position, fluid flows through the remote connections in one direction, if you put it in the "B" position, the fluid flows through the remote connections in the opposite direction.

/ Disconnected Backhoe - Simply turn off remote valve? #5  
In an "open" hydraulic system like the DK35 has the hydraulics, while using a hoe will flow out of one port thru the hoe and back through the other port back to tank.
If you remove the hoe the port closes off and has nowhere to go and forces the system into relief.
In reality it deadheads for only an instant then the relief valve opens and the fluid goes back to tank.
This causes the fluid to get hot and makes the 3pt work erratically if at all, depending on the machine.
It can also cause cavitation.

BTI

/ Disconnected Backhoe - Simply turn off remote valve? #6  
IXLR8 said:
Deadheading is giving the hydraulic fluid no where to go. This makes the pump run a max pressure all the time, pump not happy :( sooner or later a seal will say enough is enough and let go. I was told on my CK30, if the seal lets go... it fills the engine sump with the hydraulic oil, doesn't sound good for the engine operation. It also means you don't know if the seal is gone until you either get an indication that the hydraulic resevoir is low. Putting the remote valve in the neutral position allows the fluid to pass on to the next valve or back to the sump. This way the pump moves lots of fluid, but no pressure... pump is happy. :)
If you put the valve in the "A" position, fluid flows through the remote connections in one direction, if you put it in the "B" position, the fluid flows through the remote connections in the opposite direction.
That is what happen to my CK30. I took it in last Friday because of a drip, got a call from the dealer. All seals gone, pump is shot and must be replaced. I also found out my warranty runs out in April. Stiil have additional time on the drive train. This all started out as a small drip.