Steering shaft replacement on LK3054

/ Steering shaft replacement on LK3054 #1  

Uglyhat

I broke the shaft coming out of the steering box (as described in thread "broken steering shaft, any used parts?"). Removing the steering box to have the shaft replaced appeared at first to be a straightforward procedure, but I've run into a couple hitches I'm not sure how to solve.

First, I can't get the steering box to come loose after getting the four bolts connecting the box to the transission casing. The box appears to be simply bolted to the transmission casing beneath, with no apparent mechanical interchange between the two. I've tapped 'firmly' but no harder with 5lb hammer and wooden block to no avail. I can find no other means of fastening the box to the transmission casing. I'm thinking either there IS a mechanical conncetion between the box and casing, or it should come loose with the appropriate force. The power steering lines are loose, no other wires or attachements.

Second, the splined stub of the broken shaft is quite stuck in the cast piece into which its inserted. Threads and a 19mm nut extend on the side opposite the broken stub, providing a great deal of force to pull the spilned shaft into the hole in the cast piece. I've soaked each side with PB blaster and pounded rather hard, but I didn't want to shatter the cast piece and it didn't budge.

So, am I missing something with the way the steering box is attached to the transmission casing, or do I just need to encourage the box more firmly with hammer and block? And how can I get the stub of the shaft out?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

/ Steering shaft replacement on LK3054 #2  
Based on my service manual, highly recommended to have, there is at least one stud involved with the steering box and the case. Probably a matter of getting the stud to release. Not certain on the shaft question.

/ Steering shaft replacement on LK3054 #3  
lk3054 steering.jpg

I would say that the dowel pins are going to be the problem that is holding it.
Also just to help you here is a breakdown and these are the only parts that Kioti lists available so you may have to go out side the box for other parts.

/ Steering shaft replacement on LK3054 #4  
Sorry there are a couple of seals that are not show in the picture which are available.

If there is some way to fix your problem I would say do anything you can because a new one is over a grand.:eek:

/ Steering shaft replacement on LK3054 #5  
We have replaced a couple of those shafts without removing the box from the tractor. Its been a while, but the shaft is availble as a separate part. As I recall, it comes out the right side of the box.

/ Steering shaft replacement on LK3054 #6  
The shaft that You neeed is 35270-16600.
As a rule it real simple to put in but you be careful to make sure you keep it in time. when You bring old one out make sure the new is in same gear slot.
We do have that in stock. newed more info call 540 894 8770

/ Steering shaft replacement on LK3054 #7  
I have the same problem and have the 4 bolts out of the right side of the steering box and it is loose but will not come out. Is there a trick to getting the broken sector shaft out?