Tires How much will filling the tires help my DK45SE HST?

/ How much will filling the tires help my DK45SE HST? #1  
I just took delivery of a 2008 DK45SE HST, with the loader. During checkout we played with my gravel pile. A bucket full of roadbase almost lifted the rear end off the ground. Seems a bit lite back there given the weight of the whole tractor.... I wouldn't have guessed a bucket of road base should be that noticeable.

The question? If I fill the rear tires, is this going to be anywhere near enough rear ballast for gravel and road base work? I plan to take the tractor in and have the tires filled asap unless the pros think it is not nearly enough and I should just build a ballast box for the rear. Anyone with experience like this care to comment here?

Thanks.... profile and pics will come a bit later, by the way. I do appreciate this forum, I've been reading it for months.

/ How much will filling the tires help my DK45SE HST? #2  
Welcome

Filling the tires will help alot but won't be enough. You'll need a ballast box or an implement on the back to balance out.

There's a number of threads on this topic.

/ How much will filling the tires help my DK45SE HST? #3  
I have done the calculations in the past but don't recall the exact number for weight added. If you use windshield washer fluid to 75% capacity on the rears you'll add something like 500-600lbs. Doing the front tires as well adds another 150 lbs as I recall. About 25% more on those figures if you use CaCl or Rimguard.

I have not yet loaded my tires but intend to do so this Spring. I always have at least a 500lb implement of some sort on the back. Using just an implement I find that only the very heaviest loads (Jersy barrier for example) will make the tractor tippy. Adding the extra weight by loading tires should solve my issues on balance but only if I leave the implement on.

The other main reason to load the tires is that the tractor is plenty powerful enough to spin all four wheels when digging, pulling or pushing. Extra ballast should help that problem too.

I wish I'd loaded the tires at the dealer before taking delivery and would recommend anyone buying these new DK tractors to do that unless they have a good reason not to.

/ How much will filling the tires help my DK45SE HST? #4  
ShilohAcresSupporter said:
I just took delivery of a 2008 DK45SE HST, with the loader. During checkout we played with my gravel pile. A bucket full of roadbase almost lifted the rear end off the ground. Seems a bit lite back there given the weight of the whole tractor.... I wouldn't have guessed a bucket of road base should be that noticeable.

The question? If I fill the rear tires, is this going to be anywhere near enough rear ballast for gravel and road base work? I plan to take the tractor in and have the tires filled asap unless the pros think it is not nearly enough and I should just build a ballast box for the rear. Anyone with experience like this care to comment here?

Thanks.... profile and pics will come a bit later, by the way. I do appreciate this forum, I've been reading it for months.
With the warm season coming you might consider filling them yourself with water. You get to try out the effect conveniently and free with flexibility to change load when needed. If you end up liking it get them filed with the more expensive 30% heavier stuff that doesnt freeze. With CaCl you will definitely need tubes. Rim Guard, tho not corrosive, may warrant tubes as well. I have heard of it lubing the bead and having he rim spin within the tire.
larry

/ How much will filling the tires help my DK45SE HST? #5  
I second exactly what Island just said, in fact I just moved 70 tons of what I believe to be the exact same material you are speaking of using a DK45SE. You call it road base, they call it "crusher run" down here. I extended my driveway and used it rather than having it paved. We also use in our stalls because it "locks" in place better than just stone dust.

At any rate your original question, yes the DK45 can get a bit light during the bucket loading phase. I was working with my Land Pride rear blade on the rear. The blade is a heavy duty model weighing in at 533lbs. It's not too bad while transporting the aggregate from my driveway (where they dumped it) a couple hundred feet to the stalls or to the dumping point as you have the rear blade on. I have also move some 1200lbs bales with the blade on the back with no issue but the bales were hung from the loader and not on a spike so they were a lot closer to the tractor. My tires a NOT filled yet but as Island said will be. I believe that with the tires filled, the additional 700lbs or so will be exactly what is needed. Filled tires and a heavy implement on the rear should be perfect. I would NOT want to do major loader work with out at the very least a heavy rear implement/ballast box and/or loaded tires as a nice added bonus.

DSC03312.JPG

pic%202%20.JPG

/ How much will filling the tires help my DK45SE HST? #6  
I am not an expert on anything that I know of, but my 45 (hst) has the rears filled. I move lots of gravel, dirt, snow, and water with it. I almost always have some 3pt implement hanging off the rear end, just because I'm lazy. My rears have been filled with winshield washer concentrate from day one, i never loaded the front tires.

My assessment - no problem when doing FEL work with 3pt and loaded rears. I have only had my tractor lift up on me one time with a bucket load in it, and that was largely due to my error working on a slope. It does go a little slower down the road. BIggest drawback, I took the tractor out in the yard after it rained, left big ruts. It even leaves ruts if it rained the day before. The tractor is very heavy. I have industrials on it cause I drive it down the road some.

I am guessing, that the tractor with loaded rears, FEL, rear blade has to be close to 5,500-6,000 pounds. Tractor weighs over 4k, loaded rears are supposed to weigh like 600, FEL no idea (600?), rear blade 300-400 pounds, and if you include 235 pounds of marshmallow driving it, it has got to be closer to 6k.. I just wish I had two sets of tires, one filled and one without. I don't like the wieght factor when I am cutting grass in the field, it has no use then.

Have a good one.

/ How much will filling the tires help my DK45SE HST? #7  
The complete KL401 loader package-
Weighs 1297lbs

BTI

/ How much will filling the tires help my DK45SE HST? #8  
The 401 weighs 1297lbs? When kioti lists the tractor weight, depending on where you look it is different, is that empty or full of liquids?

Without taking it to a scale, I have had a hard time figuring out what my setup weighs.

/ How much will filling the tires help my DK45SE HST? #9  
PA hayseed said:
I am not an expert on anything that I know of, but my 45 (hst) has the rears filled. I move lots of gravel, dirt, snow, and water with it. I almost always have some 3pt implement hanging off the rear end, just because I'm lazy. My rears have been filled with winshield washer concentrate from day one, i never loaded the front tires.

My assessment - no problem when doing FEL work with 3pt and loaded rears. I have only had my tractor lift up on me one time with a bucket load in it, and that was largely due to my error working on a slope. It does go a little slower down the road. BIggest drawback, I took the tractor out in the yard after it rained, left big ruts. It even leaves ruts if it rained the day before. The tractor is very heavy. I have industrials on it cause I drive it down the road some.

I am guessing, that the tractor with loaded rears, FEL, rear blade has to be close to 5,500-6,000 pounds. Tractor weighs over 4k, loaded rears are supposed to weigh like 600, FEL no idea (600?), rear blade 300-400 pounds, and if you include 235 pounds of marshmallow driving it, it has got to be closer to 6k.. I just wish I had two sets of tires, one filled and one without. I don't like the wieght factor when I am cutting grass in the field, it has no use then.

Have a good one.

Your tractor is more stable, if you need it or not.

/ How much will filling the tires help my DK45SE HST? #10  
ShilohAcresSupporter said:

Do yourself a favor and load all your tires ( fronts and rears) and try to have an implement on the back whenever you are using the loader. It makes all the difference in the world.;)