Kioti backhoe swing assembly wear

/ Kioti backhoe swing assembly wear #1  

cgraham

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti LB1914
After 160 hr of KB2365 backhoe work, I find that I have a lot of slop/wear in the yoke and pivot pin of the swing cylinders where they attach to the swing frame assembly lugs, and in the lugs too. (The yoke has been kept well-greased.)

I can push the boom back and forth when the tractor is not running, and the slop in these assemblies is quite obvious (circa 1/8"). When working, the boom shudders when the swing is stopped.

I wonder if others have had this problem, and how they have handled it. I also suggest keeping a look out for the problem, with the hope of minimizing damage (oil the lugs often).

I think the wear is caused partly by the rapid and difficult-to control swing of the boom, especially when the bucket is loaded. A lot of stress is transmitted to the ram pivots when the swing is stopped.

The greatest amount of slop appears to be in the ram yoke bushings. I think once these began to wear, thrust on the pivot pin began to cause wear in the other parts. The bolt that keeps the pivot pin from turning with the boom is worn, and this allows slight movement of the pin. The pin has, in turn, slightly wallowed the lower lug, enlarging the hole through which the pin passes.

Since finding the problem, I have tried to slow down the swing by reducing rpms and using 2 movements at once when swinging the boom: e.g. swing and curl. I am also applying gear oil to the contact point between pivot pin and lugs to reduce wear, as no grease reaches those points.

I plan to replace all parts possible. I would like to replace the bolts that lock the pivot pins in place with bolts that are not threaded the entire length to better resist wear.

I don't know if replacement bushings are available - I will call Mike the Helpful Parts Man at Wallace Tractor on Monday to find out. I must have a special punch made to fit the Kioti bushing sizes to punch the old ones out and tap the new ones in without distorting. I'm unfamiliar with the procedure.

I think there is nothing I can do about the lugs without heroic measures which I am not going to undertake - and no shop within range.

The attached image shows the components in question.

Thoughts, experiences, solutions?

Attachments

• IMG_7398s.jpg
    IMG_7398s.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:
   / Kioti backhoe swing assembly wear #2  
I've never seen this problem below a couple of thousand hours.

/ Kioti backhoe swing assembly wear #3  
I have a #2376 Kioti hoe and the manual shows bushings for the rod end(5003-M501) but nothing for the lugs. The bolt securing the pins is listed as a M10-1.5P 50L;you should be able to purchase a longer 10mm bolt with an unthreaded portion some where near the length you want and cut off the un-needed threaded length.

/ Kioti backhoe swing assembly wear
I thought 160 hr was very early for this problem, Art. I don't think I have abused the hoe, although I do have a 24" bucket for digging gravel and dirt that I mostly use.

My manual does not show bushings in the yoke/rod-end but they are there. You are right, Patches: the lugs have no bushings - because the pin is not supposed to turn in them.

I have found someone to make a punch and help me change out the bushings.

Charlie

/ Kioti backhoe swing assembly wear #5  
Thanks for the posting, if possible, pictures of the fix would be great!

good luck with the fix.

Joel

/ Kioti backhoe swing assembly wear #6  
IMHO it looks as if there isnt enough grease there. Not saying that you havent greased properly but good lubricaton on something like a backhoe is no more than every 8 hours of use. I grease untill the grease starts coming out. I also use strickly synthetic now which i highly recommned. Mine has over 300 hours of diging out trees, stumps, rocks, footer you name it and i havent had this porblem yet.

/ Kioti backhoe swing assembly wear #7  
also when i swing i try to use another option lik tilt the bucket or boom out to slow the speed down. It is designed so you can do both so that is why it is fast when you are only swinging because of the excess flow of fluid

/ Kioti backhoe swing assembly wear
Update on this repair is that I replaced the pivot pin and installed a hardened locking bolt that was not threaded full length. That seemed to take most of the slop out.

I concluded that the bushings were probably not worn, and elected not to change them for now.

I will keep the lugs oiled with gear oil, in case of any continued friction there. The bushings are well-greased from the zerk.

The main lessons I take from this is to find ways of controlling the potentially wild swing of the boom, using 2 movements simultaneously, reducing RPMs to make this easier, and avoiding swings at full extension, especially when the bucket is full. (Actually, it is when the swing stops that the adverse forces are applied).

Also, often inspect all swing points closely for wear and lubrication, as the boom pivots pins and ram pivots take a lot of force.

Joel, there are really no pics that would show the fix.

I appreciate all the comments: thanks.

Charlie

/ Kioti backhoe swing assembly wear #9  
cgraham said:
The main lessons I take from this is to find ways of controlling the potentially wild swing of the boom, using 2 movements simultaneously, reducing RPMs to make this easier, and avoiding swings at full extension, especially when the bucket is full. (Actually, it is when the swing stops that the adverse forces are applied).

Also, often inspect all swing points closely for wear and lubrication, as the boom pivots pins and ram pivots take a lot of force.

Joel, there are really no pics that would show the fix.

I appreciate all the comments: thanks.

Charlie

When I had mine I noticed the same wear. As far as the speed of the swing goes, you can get some flow restrictors and put in the line to slow the swing speed down without sacrificing the flow to other functions. I was going to do this but have since traded up and don't have the hoe any more.

Steve