5' Rotary Tiller on CK25 Gear?

/ 5' Rotary Tiller on CK25 Gear? #1  

WSJ

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK25
KK 60" and CCM 58" currently under consideration, with Caroni a fading third due to chain vs gear drives.

Alternatively I may go with the 48" KK or 49" CCM.

It'd be nice to cover my R4 tracks but it wouldn't be the end of the world if it doesn't. Thanks. -WSJ

/ 5' Rotary Tiller on CK25 Gear? #2  
WSJ said:
KK 60" and CCM 58" currently under consideration, with Caroni a fading third due to chain vs gear drives.

Alternatively I may go with the 48" KK or 49" CCM.

It'd be nice to cover my R4 tracks but it wouldn't be the end of the world if it doesn't. Thanks. -WSJ

I'd think you could handle the five foot model pretty handily with a CK25 gear.

/ 5' Rotary Tiller on CK25 Gear?
Thanks for your insight, and for your reply to my inquiry about Caroni tillers on the attachment forum. -WSJ

/ 5' Rotary Tiller on CK25 Gear? #4  
Bought a Befco 50" tiller back in 95 for my 655 John Deere, (about 16 PTO HP). Never ever had a problem with it except for wearing out the knives. They got down to the point it was missing strips between the knife clusters. Put new knives on a couple years ago and am now using it on my CK-35 HST. I just side shifted it over to one side to till the right rear tire track.

What do mean by chain drive? Mine has a gear box and chain drive down to the knife shaft. Have never had to even add oil to the chain box and it's still going.

Most of the Italian tillers are real heavy duty and stand up well. I would think a 25 would handle 5 foot with now problem.

RE: Chain drive vs gear drive

Although those of you who have chain drive tillers, and especially those who have had nothing but good service from them, might question my preference for a gear drive, let me put it this way: My name's not "Murphy" but I think he lives at the same address. If it can go wrong, it will, twice, at really bad times, when I have no money.

I buy only very good tools and solid firearms. I drive Toyota pickup trucks and have since 1984 when I transitioned from Datsun. I drive them forever. Until they're done. Used up. I want that to happen and not be left cursing the manufacturer halfway through what should be the useful life of something.

I drive a standard transmission, with manual 4WD shift, and despise the fact that I've had to accept auto door locks and power windows if I want an xtra cab truck.

My tractor's a gear drive for the same reasons. The tiller I buy will probably be too good for my needs, and I'll probably never work it to the point that any theoretical difference in performance or longevity comes to light. But I might. Or, more probably, "Murphy" will point out the finer points of tiller durability to me at an appropriately bad time.

Thanks for your insights, and for listening. -WSJ

/ 5' Rotary Tiller on CK25 Gear? #6  
I have run my CCM 58" behind my MF1428 with NO issues. It was gear drive and 28hp, even here in New Hampshire with all the granite it did an excellant job and what a nice place to do business with.

Jim

Update: Bought the KK 5' from Tractor Supply, pick it up tomorrow or Saturday. I also emailed my dealer about 4' vs 5' and was told no problem with the 5'. We'll just see how it does, just as soon as it quits snowing and the ground dries out. Thanks all. -WSJ

/ 5' Rotary Tiller on CK25 Gear? #8  
I run CCM 66" behind my CK30 gear and speaking of gear drive vs. chain drive tillers......... was doing a job today when suddenly the tiller stopped cold! couldn't figure what happened, raised it up and looked under and look what I found, an 8' "T" post that had been laying just under the surface of the dirt. It was all bent and wraped around the blades and rotor. Had to unbolt three blades to get out........ no damage any where, not even a bent blade........would a chain drive have stood up to this?

Attachments

• T post 2.jpg
    T post 2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 196
   / 5' Rotary Tiller on CK25 Gear? #9  
DirtHauler said:
I run CCM 66" behind my CK30 gear and speaking of gear drive vs. chain drive tillers......... was doing a job today when suddenly the tiller stopped cold! couldn't figure what happened, raised it up and looked under and look what I found, an 8' "T" post that had been laying just under the surface of the dirt. It was all bent and wraped around the blades and rotor. Had to unbolt three blades to get out........ no damage any where, not even a bent blade........would a chain drive have stood up to this?

Don't ya just hate it when that happens! I had a similar experience with my flail mower. Mower survived the incident without damage but the half buried angle iron was mangled.

Attachments

• IMG_4359smallfile.jpg
    IMG_4359smallfile.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_4357smallfile.jpg
    IMG_4357smallfile.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_4360smallfile.jpg
    IMG_4360smallfile.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 170