Broke rt side knucle arm

/ Broke rt side knucle arm #1  

gladehound

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DS4510HS, Exmark Laser Z, Kioti LB1914
Breakage is never fun. And is made much more interesting when you are in a located where the tractor can't be easily extracted.

Today I broke my right side knucle arm. At least that's what I think it is. It is the cast iron piece that bolts to the knuckle with a little arm that sticks out and bolts to the steering cylinder. I broke the little arm off. :(

To make it more interesting, I was in the middle of a very tight woods on top of a 30 degree stope. My 4 foot wide machine could barely get there so getting something in to get the tractor would be difficult.

But there are always multiple options. I decided to try to get the tractor out on it's own power, even though the front wheels were pointing different difections and I had no steering. Well not really. I have left right brakes. I have a bucket that when curled all the way up with the loader down lifts the front wheels a few inches off the ground and makes a good skid. And I had 800 pounds of wood in the carry all, hanging off the 3 point, to lighten the front end. Long story short, it steered well with the brakes, and went down the slop in total control. In fact, if I pushed in the clutch in, it would stop just due to the bucket being on the ground.

Managed to get it on the trailer and get it home. So I am wondering if this knucle arm is something I can fix myself. Looks like it just bolts to the knucle. Does anyone know if there is anything tricky about bolting a new one on? Thanks.

/ Broke rt side knucle arm #2  
lb1914 steering.jpg

It is pretty easy no real tricks.
There was an update put out about 3 years ago on this.
The steering bump stops were located on the wrong side of the axle and need to be moved to the opposite side..the only problem is I can't remember what side they are suppose to be on.
Make sure when you get the parts you get it for the proper side.
Get the new bushing and seal to.
I have everything on the shelf if need be.

/ Broke rt side knucle arm #3  
Looking at my LK3054 service manual looks like there maybe a couple of shims under the four bolts that hold on the knuckle arm. That looks to be the only semi tricky part. I've not pulled steering pistons off of a Kioti but in some instances the the ends are held on with tapered bolts that require a pickle fork to pull apart. All in all looks to be a straight forward, unbolt and then bolt back on procedure. also looks to be a busing on the knuckle pin. Good luck.
Joel

/ Broke rt side knucle arm
Thanks guys. Rick, I'll give you a call tomorrow.

Rick,

Thanks for the parts. Came in 1 day!

I changed out the knuckle arm with no problems. My problem now is I cannot get part 17 off part 11 on the diagrahm Rick sent. Part 18 is a bolt with a lock nut on it. That comes right off. Are you supposed to use that lock nut somehow to get part 17 off. Is part 17 standard thread, meaning counter clockwise loosens it?

I could use some help here.

Thanks...

/ Broke rt side knucle arm #6  
Not certain on yours as tough to go by a picture, but maybe a tapered fit. May need a pickle fork to get the part off the shaft. I've used pickle fork many times to remove tie-rod from a car. A picture would help.

Got it all appart and back together with the new parts. It's working fine now. The threaded sleve above the steering arm was rusted on. Heating it broke it free fromt he rust. I was then able to tap the old steering arm end (the broken piece) off with a hammer. It was just a bit rusted on as well.

Apparently this happened because the steering stops are not correctly installed. There is a TSB. I will post a separate thread when I have time so other LB1914 owners can check theirs before they crack.