CK 20s Throwout Bearing Noise

/ CK 20s Throwout Bearing Noise #1  

gkm

Silver Member
Tractor
Bocat CT335 HST Cab
Does anyone have a noisy throwout bearing? When my tractor warms up, in neutral or in gear w/ clutch engaged, it's extremely noisy and makes a racket. I'm looking for others that may have this issue and was wondering if anyone has had it fixed.

Note that the clutch is adjusted within the specs as stated in the manual. If more pressure is put on the bearing (through adjustment), the noise will go away, but that will obviously have an effect on clutch longevity.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

/ CK 20s Throwout Bearing Noise #2  
Does anyone have a noisy throwout bearing? When my tractor warms up, in neutral or in gear w/ clutch engaged, it's extremely noisy and makes a racket.(Greg)
=================

Yup! I have exactly the same thing on my CK20 S HST. Especially when warm I get that throw out bearing whir sound. I too noticed that if I just touch the clutch pedal and it disappears. For me I went ahead and turned the bottom lock nut on the clutch adjustment rod to loosen 1 full turn counter clockwise. 360* then I brought the bottom nut next to clevis down too jam with the lock nut and moved the top nut one turn to slide clevis tight to bottom two. In other words, I tightened the clutch one turn. That move silenced that throw out bearing's noticable whirring sound when clutch pedal was unattended.

rimshot

/ CK 20s Throwout Bearing Noise #3  
I did the same as the above person, works well, have not had any loud noises like that since.

/ CK 20s Throwout Bearing Noise #4  
gkm said:
Does anyone have a noisy throwout bearing? When my tractor warms up, in neutral or in gear w/ clutch engaged, it's extremely noisy and makes a racket. I'm looking for others that may have this issue and was wondering if anyone has had it fixed.

Note that the clutch is adjusted within the specs as stated in the manual. If more pressure is put on the bearing (through adjustment), the noise will go away, but that will obviously have an effect on clutch longevity.

Thanks in advance,

Greg
I can't understand how it would make a noise if it has clearance . It should not be touching the pressure plate fingers at all . Are you certain it has clearance ? If the clutch plate is well worn it will make the pressure plate fingers advance towards the throwout bearing and take up the available free travel . And yes as you say if you adjust it to take out the freeplay in time the bearing will fail and will burn through the pressure plate fingers . I'm wondering if it is a chatter coming from the bearing support and the slide yoke and touching the pedal steadies it , is it greaseable ? A grease may fix the problem . If not i'd be checking the crankshaft end play as that will make a racket and touching the pedal will quieten it .

/ CK 20s Throwout Bearing Noise #5  
I agree that you want to make sure you did not just take up the needed clearance.

If now the throw out bearing is actually touching the clutch. You will wear it out very fast.

Then you need to split the tractor to replace it.

I would live with a little rattle...

/ CK 20s Throwout Bearing Noise #6  
Iron Horse said:
is it greaseable ? A grease may fix the problem
=================

No,the throw out bearing in a CK20 is not greaseable

rimshot

/ CK 20s Throwout Bearing Noise #8  
Iron Horse said:
rimshot said:
I meant the bearing carrier to slide yoke not the bearing itself , is that what you are referring too as well ?
==============

I thought you were referring to the actual throw out bearing and service of that bearing by greasing it. I'm not sure about all tractors now days but certain clutch assemblies contained throw out bearings with a grease zerk. This is not the case with the CK-20. The bearing is sealed.

I thought that your answer agreed with the answer given in the repair manual for the CK20 in the clutch section page 3-4 under troubleshooting for clutch squeaks, problem; release bearing is sticking or dry. Solution: replace or lubricate.

Well, of course we can always replace it if we want to split the tractor which seems necessary as Bearhawk suggests. But the problem is with the other half of this solution suggesting the bearing be lubricated because it is a sealed bearing. While this solution seems right, If i have to split a tractor for the sake of a squeak i think I would say to heck with lubricating a bearing even if we could. I think I would replace the bearing.

I certainly don't want the bearing spinning all the time if that is the solution to stopping the whirring sound produced. As you suggest, they can be the victim of excessive wear that way. Perhaps it should be allowed to rattle if that is the case. On the other hand, the clutch measures exactly as specced out 3/4" to 1.18" of freeplay and in my case I don't get the squeal/whirring sound which I presume was the Throw out or release bearing as Kioti calls it.

rimshot

/ CK 20s Throwout Bearing Noise #9  
I have the same problem on my LB1914. Only does it after it has warmed up.

/ CK 20s Throwout Bearing Noise #10  
Most throwout bearing carriers have a grease fitting on them(but maybe not yours) , it is either screwed straight into the bottom of the carrier and is accessed via a removable plate at the bottom of the bellhousing or sometimes a flexible hose connected to the bottom of the carrier and a grease nipple protruding from that same removable bottom plate on the bellhousing . This grease nipple only greases the bearing carrier so it slides back and forth without binding , it does not grease the bearing itself as they are sealed . If the surface on the slide yoke becomes dry the carrier can bind and also rattle as the throwout fork and linkages can transmit harmonics too the carrier and the grease can dampen the harmonics . You may try pulling back on the linkages in the opposite direction as they normally work when the clutch is applied to see if the noise goes away , if it does you have found the problem .