bolt on or weld on cutting edge

/ bolt on or weld on cutting edge #1  

JoelD

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054xs TLB, 2004
Want to put an additional cutting edge on my 1231 on my LK3054. Should I go with weld on or bolt on, I don't want to bend the stock cutting edge. If bolt on, any advice on drilling the holes other than have my drill doctor ready to go?
Not putting tooth bar on as I do a lot of loader work off of the driveway.

Thanks all.
Joel

/ bolt on or weld on cutting edge #2  
Joel, mine is bolted on & although i haven't had mine off i like the option. Just make sure the front groove on the toothbar is against the leading edge of the bucket before marking/drilling the (2) holes. The drilling is easy since the steel is not case hardened. I have put alot of stress/pressure on one or more teeth without any bending. I also welded a 10' boom to the center tooth to use in raising my 30x50 arched steel building & it worked like a charm. Mine is a Markam & i think it was $325.
RD

/ bolt on or weld on cutting edge
Thanks for the response. I'm planning on using a straight edge cutting edge. I've got the backhoe for digging and breaking up ground. I'm looking for additional straight edge so that the original does not bend, I've bent them in the past. Was concerned about the drilling, sounds like the original edge is not hardened, that should make bolt on a lot easier.
Thanks,
Joel

/ bolt on or weld on cutting edge #4  
If you are looking for extra bucket support I would cut the original cutting edge off and weld on a much heavier one. I'd also weld cutting edge to the front sides of the bucket.:D

/ bolt on or weld on cutting edge #5  
If you wanted to go the bolt route you could check with Wallace Tractor. I believe he has the bolt on for all Kioti loaders and if you had any questions about it being strong enough he would be the man to answer them.

Hey Rick, you out there, what are your thought as to best way to strengthen my cutting edge, cut off original and weld on replacement, bolt on under existing, weld on under existing? Anyone else's thoughts also appreciated. Thanks guys, I had not thought about cutting off existing, rather just adding on. Total replacement makes sense, as well as the side cutting edges.

/ bolt on or weld on cutting edge #7  
JoelD said:
Hey Rick, you out there, what are your thought as to best way to strengthen my cutting edge, cut off original and weld on replacement, bolt on under existing, weld on under existing? Anyone else's thoughts also appreciated. Thanks guys, I had not thought about cutting off existing, rather just adding on. Total replacement makes sense, as well as the side cutting edges.
I bought a bolt on for my Kioti DK40 se from wallace tractor recently and could not be happier,very heavy duty quality cutting edge IMHO.coobie

/ bolt on or weld on cutting edge #8  
JoelD said:

Use a reversable bolt on cutting edge...what I mean by a reversable cutting edge is the cutting edge is beveled on both sides and punched in the center when you wear the edge down you just cut the bolts off and spin the edge around.
You will have to drill your bucket edge to fit the cutting edge bolt pattern.
I sell the 60" cutting for $102 w/the hardware.

/ bolt on or weld on cutting edge #9  
I was thinking about a second cutting edge but not for strength but to save the original from wearing down. I couldn't get any good answers around where I live but should have known TBN was the place.
It's a good thing that I don't live close to Rick's place. He has everything and I'd be broke.
Rick, Could you give a rough number for the shipping of that piece of steel to Erie, PA. If reasonable and I know you have no control, I'll be giving you a call. Thanks

I bent the one on my prior machine, makes picking up cleanly from pavement impossible, like crushed stone or snow or sand, etc.
Thanks Rick, I'll call mike tomorrow.
Sincerely,
Joel