backhoe squeaky boom side to side hydraulic cylinder

/ backhoe squeaky boom side to side hydraulic cylinder #1  

rimshot

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2510 HST
I have a new KB2465 backhoe on my CK20. The backhoe probably has 20-30 hours of use and the CK20 has close to 80 hours. I have recently done the 50 hour inspection. The backhoe has been greased often and has plenty of brand new tractor hydraulic fluid'. There are no leaks on the hydraulic system. The problem is I have recently developed a squealing sound as the boom on the KB2465 is swung from side to side. It sounds like fingernails on a blackboard.

Anybody have this squealing hydraulic cylinder and can anybody tell me what is the cause and if it is something to worry about. The boom pins have plenty of grease. I'm wondering if some dirt might be the cause getting to the cylinder rod seal.

rimshot

Last edited:
   / backhoe squeaky boom side to side hydraulic cylinder #2  
never had this on the tractor or BH but sometimes at work air gets into the system, this will sound similar to a squeal or screech, if the air is trapped in such a way the cylinder travel never gets the air out you may have to loosen the lines at the cylinder to bleed it out, if the air gets into the oil fine enough it will have to sit a wile to seperate,

/ backhoe squeaky boom side to side hydraulic cylinder #3  
that is useful to know. I have a screaching sound on the boom of my Woods BH90x that might be due to the same thing. I'll try to bleed it and see what happens.

/ backhoe squeaky boom side to side hydraulic cylinder
laurencen said:
never had this on the tractor or BH but sometimes at work air gets into the system, this will sound similar to a squeal or screech, if the air is trapped in such a way the cylinder travel never gets the air out you may have to loosen the lines at the cylinder to bleed it out, if the air gets into the oil fine enough it will have to sit a wile to seperate,
=======================

Thanks for the tip. It seems to be something not very serious anyway. The only leak in the system was my big filter after the 50 hour inspection and a 1 /4 to 1/2 turn took care of that. Seems like if it was air all the cylinders would squeal but I appreciate your suggestion very much and you are probably right.

rimshot

/ backhoe squeaky boom side to side hydraulic cylinder #5  
hi rimshot, air is a funny thing in hydraulic circuits, some cylinders when mounted are impossible to bleed unless you pre fill the cylinder when installing, visulise a syringe upside down trying to fill it of fluid, no matter how many times you pump it there is still air in the needle, this is why they point it upwards to get the air out, now if you pump it fast the air bubbles get smaller and more of them, when these minute bubbles get to the end of the stroke it makes the squeel sound, because the air is in the pipe when you reverse the cylinder the air is sucked back in, have hydraulic cylinders on my machines lying on the side and if the hoses are on the underside the air is impossible to remove but turn the cylinder so the hoses are on the top and it comes right out