Warm-up Time ?

/ Warm-up Time ? #1  

whatsgnu

Just wondering how long you let the HST diesel warm up before moving it ? According to the manual above 32 deg F it needs about 5 minutes to warm things up and get the fluids flowing. Will it harm anything if after a minute or two you ease it gently out of the barn to let if finish warming up outside or should I wait the entire time ? Durning the winter I would wait until the temp needle was well on its way but when it's been 50 or 60 I hate to sit there in the barn sucking in fumes any longer than needed. Just curious about the experience of others .

/ Warm-up Time ? #2  
I dont know if it is bad or not, but I always start mine and move it out of the garage right away other wise fumes would fill the house.

/ Warm-up Time ? #3  
I can't see it causing any problems, as long as you bump up the rpms enough to not bog the engine while moving it. I always move mine out of the carport and raise the loader above the exhaust to help with the soot build-up from the exhaust pointing right at the loader arm.

/ Warm-up Time ? #4  
I don't know what the proper time is but I can tell you that, even with temps in the 70's F, my CK20s idles iradically and smokes a ton for a minute or so.

/ Warm-up Time ? #5  
crabjoe said:
I don't know what the proper time is but I can tell you that, even with temps in the 70's F, my CK20s idles iradically and smokes a ton for a minute or so.
You might want to look into that... Even in below 0F temps, I never get more than a slight puff of black smoke right as the engine catches and then it's clear.

/ Warm-up Time ? #6  
I don't believe it hurts a thing to warm the diesel up until the engine is running smoothly @maybe 1600 rpm, raise the empty bucket and back out of the garage so you don't have to gas your wife with diesel fumes.

To me, I believe the book has been great and I use it as a guide but I just feel as though the book sometimes goes to extremes to prevent abuse.........and that is OK too. Use your own good judgement on this one.

rimshot

/ Warm-up Time ? #7  
I start mine and move it out of the garage and let it warm up outside. When I start my 20 I get a puff of smoke then it is ok doesn't smoke for a minute just a puff and then all is good.

/ Warm-up Time ? #8  
I'm going to have to get a video camera.. I'm wondering if my minute is smoke is what others consider a puff.

Just remember... I'm comparing my experiance with diesel cars and trucks. So if the idle isn't smooth, right from the beginning, it feels like forever.

BTW, is there ever a temp you can start these without using the glow plug cycle?

/ Warm-up Time ? #9  
lunbrjck said:
I start mine and move it out of the garage and let it warm up outside. When I start my 20 I get a puff of smoke then it is ok doesn't smoke for a minute just a puff and then all is good.

Same here. A puff of smoke and then it settles down. The only thing I notice when moving it out of the garage before it's fully warmed up is a slight jerkiness of the HST. Once warmed up it's smooth.

/ Warm-up Time ? #10  
I warm it up for a minute then move 20 feet out of the shop and let it idle in the drive a few more minutes. You're doing Ok by the engine whatsgnu, by no-stress moving it outside to finish warming up.

crabjoe said:
crabjoe, I didn't look far back to see if you already had a thread about the exhaust smoke, but mine 'smokes a ton' too for a minute if I start it at 1900+ RPM. So before shutting it down I lower the idle to 1600; when starting next time it fires up quicker and hardly any smoke at all. The JD 'dozer is the same way.

Does erratic idle mean it races and slows down by itself? That might be the TPI in my truck but I don't know (yet) what would cause it in our tractors.

BTW, is there ever a temp you can start these without using the glow plug cycle?
It doesn't get hot here so can't say.