I made it up the slope in Hi :)

/ I made it up the slope in Hi :) #11  
ROTFL, crabjoe worked this into another hardstarting thread. . . since our previous suggestions haven't worked, get a mechanic or take it to a dealer for a fix. Talking about it with Rick in June ain't soon enough, it's got work to do. :)

A 20HP with 14 hours use, carrying a heavy FEL and Backhoe loads on it travelling up a slope in HIgh gear. (My lawnmower is 14HP.) Use the low gear, break it in 50 hours before you really hurt the engine since it is struggling already.

Patches said:
I realize the LK's and CK's use different engines, both size and design, but it appears to me Kioti's are hard starters, dispite what my dealer says:rolleyes:
Watch out making general statements like that. This has become a dupe thread where now again the majority do NOT have starting problems, and more owners with no problems will again chime in if they're interested enough to post again.

Add my Kioti as an easy-start: Glo-plugs until they auto shutoff, this CK30 fires right up at 1600rpm with a puff of smoke. Starts just like my John Deere, no problem.

/ I made it up the slope in Hi :) #12  
Sorry about that, but after three years and MANY trips to the dealer, and him to me, it's my take on the situation;) I guess I should not have generalized,but said MY 3054 is a hard starter:p

/ I made it up the slope in Hi :) #13  
I'm not sure what similarities my engine has to others but, my '03 Mahindra has a Daedong (Kioti) engine. It doesn't appear to be one used in Kioti models. It starts well in all temps. Glo-plugs below 50*-60*, but starts well. I haven't timed the glo-plugs but, I've never had to cycle them twice, even in single digit temps. Over 600 hours now and still good as new.

/ I made it up the slope in Hi :) #14  
I just look at my Kioti funny and it starts right up. Seems more folks have problems with them not shutting off than not starting up.

/ I made it up the slope in Hi :) #15  
Same problem here

sometimes I don't want to turn the key off and get out of the seat.

/ I made it up the slope in Hi :) #16  
With glow plugs used as intended she fires right up, very little smoke. Like RexB's Deere, my Deere starts as easy. Scary how easy the Deere starts without glow plugs. Is it a matter of more compression on the deere motor than the Kioti motor? I had a Kubota, same deal with the glow plugs, when used as directed the motor always started.

/ I made it up the slope in Hi :) #17  
Our JD's no-glo-plug easy starts might be if it's higher compression ( 1966 JD350_ is 20:1 . The Kioti's shop manual lists 469-540psi compression for the 3A150LXE, it doesn't list the ratio.) But I think gloplugs are more to do with cold weather starts, because the cold block and pistons absorb heat at startup. We don't have cold weather here, the coldest I've started the JD is 28F and it took ~5 seconds of cranking instead of 2 seconds. How about there in cold-weather country?

I can understand crabjoe's frustration with those slow-starts, I've got a frustration with the broke heat sensor that I don't want to dismantle part of the engine/compartment to replace. {a new dash gauge, under warranty, didn't fix it.} I can only suggest a good diesel mechanic to try and figure it out. We've got one good one on the island, they're hard to find.

/ I made it up the slope in Hi :) #18  
Really basic, but are you using the glow plugs enough? First start in any weather, I leave them on for at least a 5 sec count, and sometimes 10. I've never had to crank my Kubota at all with that.

If I don't preheat enough, out belches the smoke and it runs rough until it warms up.

Even on a 70 degree day, the engine block is only 70 degrees when you start it - ie not that much. I figure the glowplugs are there to be used.

I have to say I wouldn't even try to run my tractor up a slope in high with the backhoe on. But I'm a firm believer that "high" and "slope" is a dangerous combination.

/ I made it up the slope in Hi :)
I'm waiting for the glowplug light to go out b4 starting. It's 67F out right now. I'm going to and start it to see how it does.

/ I made it up the slope in Hi :)
crabjoe said:
I'm waiting for the glowplug light to go out b4 starting. It's 67F out right now. I'm going to and start it to see how it does.

Went out to start. This is based on my count, not a stop watch.

Glow plug cycle was 8 seconds. It took about 1.5 seconds to start then 7 seconds of smoke with erratic idle.

The 1st part of the smoke with black, then turned almost white by the time it stopped. Once the smoke stopped, idle was at 1200rpms steady.

When the idle is erratic, it makes no difference if I push the throttle up. It just bounces between 700 and 1100 rpms as if it wants to stall.

BTW, while I was out there, I decided to thin out some fruit on my trees. What I found where these little bugs that looked similar to lightening bugs, but almost all gray, in camo like the color of grayish bark. They were also soft like a moth. Well, they're out there eating my pears and peaches and I need to put a stop to it.

Anyone know what these are and is there an effective organic way to kill and keep them off my trees? If not, I guess I'll need to go and pick up some Sevin.

Thanks.