Hydro problem/KL401 loader . . .

/ Hydro problem/KL401 loader . . . #1  

mark.r

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE
Strange issue. If I roll the bucket back while it's sitting on the ground and then go stand on the cutting edge, the bucket will flex up and down as if it is being dumped. It won't go through the full dump/roll back cycle but only a about 6-8 inches. My question is, is this a symptom of low hydraulic fluid?

/ Hydro problem/KL401 loader . . . #2  
Sounds like it maybe wear in the pins and bushings (not sure if you've got bushings). There is bound to be some slack in the joints. My old Kubota had about 4-5 inches of play in the bucket. Post some picks of the up-right position and then the "you standing on the bucket" position. Could be acceptable slack.

If your hydro fluid was low you'd hear the pump wining and looking for fluid. The hydraulics would be super slow.

/ Hydro problem/KL401 loader . . .
JoelD said:
Sounds like it maybe wear in the pins and bushings (not sure if you've got bushings). There is bound to be some slack in the joints. My old Kubota had about 4-5 inches of play in the bucket. Post some picks of the up-right position and then the "you standing on the bucket" position. Could be acceptable slack.

If your hydro fluid was low you'd hear the pump wining and looking for fluid. The hydraulics would be super slow.

Wear? Already!!!! I would assume some acceptable slack but it just seems like ALOT of lower cylinder movement from the dump cylinders. I just don't remember it being nearly this bad.

/ Hydro problem/KL401 loader . . . #4  
Are the pistons actually moving in and out of the cyls.? or, is it slack in the pivot points? If the pistons are moving in and out, and the machine will curl the cyls then possibly the packing in the cyls, you'd have to have a significant packing failure for you to be able to manually move the cyls.

Picks would help.

JoelD said:
Are the pistons actually moving in and out of the cyls.? or, is it slack in the pivot points? If the pistons are moving in and out, and the machine will curl the cyls then possibly the packing in the cyls, you'd have to have a significant packing failure for you to be able to manually move the cyls.

Picks would help.

Yep, you nailed it. Another example is I can partilly have the bucket dumped, maybe halfway with the it in the air. I then can press the cutting edge into the ground as if I'm going to do some back grading with the cutting edge. As I press the bucket into the ground the bucket will start to roll back maybe 6 inches or more without using the lever.

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow, although I'm not quite sure if pics will be able to display what I'm trying to show.

/ Hydro problem/KL401 loader . . . #6  
Here are my thoughts: You do not have any problem at all...you just have a 3-way FEL valve and not a 4-way valve. Read the difference HERE.

kennyd said:
Here are my thoughts: You do not have any problem at all...you just have a 3-way FEL valve and not a 4-way valve. Read the difference HERE.

Hmmm, I won't disagree, sounds plausible. I just have NEVER notice it before. I'd be curious to hear if this symptom applies to other KL401 owners.

/ Hydro problem/KL401 loader . . . #8  
mark.r said:
Hmmm, I won't disagree, sounds plausible. I just have NEVER notice it before. I'd be curious to hear if this symptom applies to other KL401 owners.

I have been having some issues with my FEL lately. Seems like its not dumping completely sometimes, sticks with about 3-4 inches of movement left. I have about 103 hours on it last I looked. I have been using it pretty hard lately, but that is what it was bought for. Fluid levels are ok, grease it regularly, did maintenance at interval. The other problem, that I thought I had fixed, is that the FEL lever keeps spinning, then locking up again.

I don't have the same issue as you, but we both have the same rig.

/ Hydro problem/KL401 loader . . . #9  
This is interestng, I actually just welded some hooks on my loader bucket and while standing in the bucker noticed the same play but never checked to seee where the slack is. My Ck30HST is brand new and only has 30 hours on it. I will check tomorrow to see where the slack is.

/ Hydro problem/KL401 loader . . . #10  
It seems to me, MARK, that for the regen function to work, the FEL
valve joystick has to be moved. Does the KL401 have a self-leveling bucket?