2485 to lift shingles?

/ 2485 to lift shingles? #1  

Boulter

Tractor
Kioti DK40SE
Hi:

Lets try this again...in the Kioti forum instead of Kubota.

The ink on the deal for my new DK40SE rig wasn't even dry and my buddy was coming up with jobs. He is reshingling his roof and we wondered about using the FEL to lift the shingles to the roof. So he goes home and comes back with 13 feet to the roof, so the FEL isn't going to do it. What about the backhoe? It is speced at 136 inches reach from the pivot pin to ... where, and presumably the pivot pin is a foot or so off the ground. Is this likely to do it?

Boulter

/ 2485 to lift shingles? #2  
I don't know the answer to the question, but personally, I'd order the shingles "roof loaded".

Or consider forks on the FEL, with a stand on it to get the other 4' or so..

Lifting them up with a BH might get interesting..

/ 2485 to lift shingles? #3  
Ive done it all the time even if the bucket gets it up that far with a few bundles, then move them further from there.

/ 2485 to lift shingles? #4  
Boulter said:
Hi:

Lets try this again...in the Kioti forum instead of Kubota.

The ink on the deal for my new DK40SE rig wasn't even dry and my buddy was coming up with jobs. He is reshingling his roof and we wondered about using the FEL to lift the shingles to the roof. So he goes home and comes back with 13 feet to the roof, so the FEL isn't going to do it. What about the backhoe? It is speced at 136 inches reach from the pivot pin to ... where, and presumably the pivot pin is a foot or so off the ground. Is this likely to do it?

Boulter
If you are thinking about lifting that kind of weight you better get the rear tires loaded and get some type of weight(ballast box) on the rear also.I burn wood pellets,the skids they come on weigh 1 ton(2,000 lbs)I tried to lift them with just rear tires loaded and it picked the rear of my Kioti Dk40se off the ground.I bought a 1,000 lbs ballast box for the rear and it will now handle the weight of the skids of pellets.coobie

/ 2485 to lift shingles? #5  
coobie said:
If you are thinking about lifting that kind of weight you better get the rear tires loaded and get some type of weight(ballast box) on the rear also.I burn wood pellets,the skids they come on weigh 1 ton(2,000 lbs)I tried to lift them with just rear tires loaded and it picked the rear of my Kioti Dk40se off the ground.I bought a 1,000 lbs ballast box for the rear and it will now handle the weight of the skids of pellets.coobie

real good advice there.

You may also want to think about getting a half a pallet load or so, if you will be at maximum reach for a prolonged time, with a box or whatever to get you to full roof height. You may also want to block up your fel if you will be there for awhile. A 4x6 should do ok for awhile. Some hydraulics leak down a little over time.

/ 2485 to lift shingles? #6  
I didn't understand that almost all the shingles would have to be lifted at once. I assumed maybe 4 or 5 bundles at a time.Thats how Ive done it. Its sure better to get that little amount of lift to the edge of the roof. Might take a few trips but the savings are easily realized.
After doing roofing for several years, and lugging them up the ladder, I got a thought to 'copy' one of the ladder type shingle lifts.
I made a 'sled' if you will that fit loosely over the rails of the ladder. Then with a HF small 12 volt winch , used it to pull the sled up the ladder.using a 12 volt battery