Changed Front Axle oil, very dark grey ck 20hst ...(is this metal in suspension)

/ Changed Front Axle oil, very dark grey ck 20hst ...(is this metal in suspension) #1  

tassiedevil

Tractor
CK 20 Hst
I have just changed front axle oil at 400 hours on the ck20 HST, and it is a very dark grey, I have noticed a whine in the front axle in two wheel drive mainly going up hills, but not so much in 4wd. I was wondering (not kinowing that much) whether the colour of oil was due to fine metal in suspension.
I hope not of course .. but I do give it lots in 4wd while working with the loader but never in high range on the bitumen.
I was hoping someone could shed some kind light on this potentially bad oil.
Love this Website by the way, you guys have made my life so much simpler when it come to tractor related stuff.
ps , new oil hasn't made much difference to the whine slightly better ... and is some noise normal

Last edited:
   / Changed Front Axle oil, very dark grey ck 20hst ...(is this metal in suspension) #2  
Duplicate post from Oil Fuel Lubricants.

Here was my reply to your earlier slightly different question:

" Was that the first oil change for the front axle? I don't recall the recommendations on the CK20 (I used to have one) but I think it certainly should have had at least one previously like at about 50 hrs and ?200hrs.

If you have any of the removed oil left you could pretty quickly find out if it is full of metal shavings by using a magnet or even just letting it settle in a glass container.

It is not clear from your post but did the whine start after you changed the oil? If so are you sure you added enough? I recall the CK20 doesn't have a sight glass but it would be important to check the oil level again even if it seemed you had added enough when you changed it as those front axles can be tricky and the level can change once you start using it after an oil change. "

From your current post it appears that the whine is not new. It is difficult to know whether the whine sound you are describing is "normal". Are you sure the whine is new?

/ Changed Front Axle oil, very dark grey ck 20hst ...(is this metal in suspension)
thanks for the reply, the dealer came down at 50 hours and dropped the oil out and then the next change according to the manual was 400 hours .I have followed all the specs.. but it does seem to have increased over the last 50 hours or so .
The whine started well before the change of oil though, and it has got a sight glass. Maybe the whine coincided with the colour change. should the oil remain clean if not clear ?
Will keep an eye on it .
I think the best idea is to find another CK20 HST and get on to see if it too has a whine... cheers for now.