CK 30 ignition switch problem

/ CK 30 ignition switch problem #1  

GregMVT

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30
I've started having problems with the ignition switch a couple of weeks ago. When I turn it to the on position no lights come on, I have to hold it a little towards the start position before the glow plug light, and the rest of them will come on. Once it goes off it starts fine but if I release it the tractor shuts down. I have to keep holding it a little so it'll stay running. I think something is worn in the switch, it's sealed so I can't check it out. Has anyone run accross this issue?

Greg

/ CK 30 ignition switch problem #2  
Hi Greg,
You should contact your dealer to send you a new switch. The little bottlecap cover is meant to help this problem, so make sure you take out your key and cover the switch when not in use. Water will follow the key down into the ignition and corrode the contacts in the switch.
If you don't have the plastic cover on your switch, make sure he send you a new one with the switch.
KiotiDave

/ CK 30 ignition switch problem #3  
Had and have the same problem. Shoot wd40 in it and flip the key back and forth. Should start up. Keep it covered or get that plastic cap. I just keep and oily rag over the switch now.

aloha
joe

/ CK 30 ignition switch problem #4  
Yep, had same issue since tractor was less than year old. Last time is got really bad, I removed it. Shot it full of WD40, worked the key, blew it out with air, did this several times, then reinstalled. It worked good another couple months. My plastic cover is long gone, but tractor is parked under roof and that doesn't seem to make it better. Was tempted to replace the switch, but figured it would soon enough happen to it also.

David

/ CK 30 ignition switch problem #5  
I wonder if Fluid Film would be better than wd40?

/ CK 30 ignition switch problem #6  
No not Fluid Film, WD-40!!!!!!!!!!

I love FF but doesn't seem to me to do anything electrical. More ionic/iron/oxidation.

I'm on the antique radios group, and a good number of people there think WD-40 is just as good as expensive contact sprays.

Mike

/ CK 30 ignition switch problem #7  
I have just the opposite problem. My tractor won't shut off! I need to jiggle the switch to get it to shutdown. Normally it is just after it has set awhile, the first time I try to shut off the engine, nothing happens. Once it does shutdown, all is normal until the nexted prolonged period of non-use.

/ CK 30 ignition switch problem #8  
No not Fluid Film, WD-40!!!!!!!!!!

I love FF but doesn't seem to me to do anything electrical. More ionic/iron/oxidation.

I'm on the antique radios group, and a good number of people there think WD-40 is just as good as expensive contact sprays.

Mike

Well, the instructions say to use it (FF) on electrical contacts. And I don't see anything special about WD-40 from an electrical standpoint. They are both oils, just one is petroleum based and the other is organic. The FF might stay on longer, an thereby reduce corrosion, assuming corrosion is the cause of the failure.

Seems to be quite a few failures of this switch. I think it's an inferior product. My JD is 14+ years old and I've never had a problem with the switch on it. It would be interesting to know exactly what is going on in there.

/ CK 30 ignition switch problem #9  
I just started having exactly the same problem about 2 weeks ago. If I jiggle it a bit I can get the glow plug lights to come on but I am also having a problem with the tractor staying running after I let go of the key. I called my dealer on Monday and they have ordered a new switch assembly for me. I was going to start a thread to ask this when I saw your post :).

/ CK 30 ignition switch problem #10  
hey giddyup, no confrontation here, just that you've got a fairly rare respondent here offering you an opinion, 50 years of electrical experience and a fan of fluid film both!

mike