Knock, knock...

/ Knock, knock... #1  

MT Kioti

Tractor
Kioti LK 3054
Greetings-
I have a Kioti LK 3054 with about 500 hours. So far this has been almost trouble-free since I bought it almost 15 years ago. About a month ago the engine started some loud knocking. I quickly shut down and did an oil and filter change, air filter and the usual cleanup. The problem disappeared.

Yesterday, I had the same problem, but this time its not stopping. A web search suggested it might be clogged or dirty injectors, so I changed the fuel filter and added some Power Service additive. No change.

My next thought wast to remove the injectors and take them into the local mechanic for cleaning. (There's no longer a Kioti dealer for several hundred miles) I've never taken them off before, and actually, my experience with diesel engines is very limited.

Any tips, ideas or tricks that might help would be greatly appreciated. Any ideas on what else might be the problem would help too.

Many thanks in advance.

/ Knock, knock... #2  
I am thinking maybe you are lucky and its an oil pump.

I would not run again until you've at least gone through the oil pump.

There are guys here with a whole lot more experience than me though.

Good luck,
Joel

/ Knock, knock... #3  
Greetings-
I have a Kioti LK 3054 with about 500 hours. So far this has been almost trouble-free since I bought it almost 15 years ago. About a month ago the engine started some loud knocking. I quickly shut down and did an oil and filter change, air filter and the usual cleanup. The problem disappeared.

Yesterday, I had the same problem, but this time its not stopping. A web search suggested it might be clogged or dirty injectors, so I changed the fuel filter and added some Power Service additive. No change.

My next thought wast to remove the injectors and take them into the local mechanic for cleaning. (There's no longer a Kioti dealer for several hundred miles) I've never taken them off before, and actually, my experience with diesel engines is very limited.

Any tips, ideas or tricks that might help would be greatly appreciated. Any ideas on what else might be the problem would help too.

Many thanks in advance.

I think you are on the right track looking at the injectors.

How does your oil pressure look? Do you have a warning light that's illuminated before you start? You can always put a gauge on the oil pressure tap and see if that's ok. What does your oil level look like? Some injection pumps can blow a seal and leak fuel into the crankcase and you'll notice that by a rising oil level.

Where are you located in MT? Missoula, Billings, Dillon, or Great Falls , etc will have diesel shops that can check and clean your injectors.

/ Knock, knock...
Thanks for the oil level tip, Jerry. I managed to get the injectors off and took them over to Missoula yesterday. I'll get them back in a few days and see if there's any change. Oil levels seem to be OK, but I'll keep very accurate record of the level. The lights on the dash light up before starting, but go off after its started.

I was surprised how tight the injectors were in the engine. Does anybody have a spec for how much to tighten them when I reinstall them?

/ Knock, knock...
Well, I found a diesel shop that did a fine job of cleaning and rebuilding the injectors. I reinstalled them, changed a few fuel hoses and started it back up.

Ran just great... for about 5 minutes. Then the same knocking again. It sounds like it knocks on one cylinder. Maybe the one closest to the fuel tank. I'm completely baffled:confused:.

What should I try next? Valves? Oil pump? (although the oil seems fine) Lifters? With only 500 hours, I really don't want to tear the whole engine apart and rebuild. And I don't have that much time anyway.

I would consider taking it in to a reputable mechanic, but I'd kind of like to know a little, so I guess what to expect.

Any ideas???

/ Knock, knock... #6  
Hey MT Kioti! Did you ever solve the issue?

I'm getting loud knocking and white smoke at startup, and after a minute it runs normally. I can't determine if the symptoms are coincidental to the cold weather, or because of the cold weather. I get no oil pressure warning.

/ Knock, knock... #7  
Timing of injectors might be a thought also.

As far as checking valve lash,doubt thats got anything to do with your problem,but it ain't a real big deal to do,read up on chinese section about adjusting valve lash.

/ Knock, knock... #8  
Timing of injectors might be a thought also.

As far as checking valve lash,doubt thats got anything to do with your problem,but it ain't a real big deal to do,read up on chinese section about adjusting valve lash.

Thanks Greenmule. I was definitely leaning towards injector timing. I'm a motorhead (not much diesel, though), and am going to stay in diagnostic mode because the Kioti is still under warranty. I do believe it could be exhaust temperature, because the issue goes away quickly.

/ Knock, knock... #9  
Yeah deputy,don't sound to serious on yours,maybe power service in white bottle might help it start up smoother? Up where you live it really gets cold,maybe one of those in line raditiator heaters,hear those work pretty good,think you just put it into hose line and plug it in a while before trying to start?course they got the kind you install in the block too,think you gotta do it thru a freeze plug,both would probably be something a dealer should put in for warrenty sake I would think,but maybe the in line one would be simpler/safer.,think they talk about that on chinese section also,[allota good info on that section],don't waste your money on those little magnetic type heaters,might as well lay a trouble light on your motor as one of them.

/ Knock, knock... #10  
I have a couple of those in-line heaters in different sizes. Perhaps I should get on the stick and install one...huh???