Dag Nabbit!

/ Dag Nabbit! #1  

deputyrpa

Gold Member
Tractor
2006 Massey Ferguson 3635 Cab
It's my wife's fault! Well....she kept bugging me to grade an area of the upper horse pasture through which the US F&WS and I created 5000 feet of new stream to move the channel back to where it used to be any moons ago. The farmers turned it into a roadside ditch which eliminated the trout population and after 80 or so years, also started sinking the farmhouse (which I sold back to the former owner). We dug a new E-type channel, and the spoil was sidecast and spread. As there is no bridge built yet (job #276), the horses were jumping over it and landing on some piles of dirt. My wife thinks they'll get injured or something.....yeah....perhaps I should make her watch them kick the snot out of each other a few more times - just for perspective. Anyway, I graded the area quickly before brunch yesterday. I came home from work today, and was ready to crank it up and move some round bales to storage - and the rear tire is flat. A small piece of barbed wire went thru the sidewall! Pic is attached. Forthunately, I unknowingly parked it with the hole at 12 o'clock, and It doesn't appear I lost much Rimguard. BTW - that stuff tastes pretty good.....

The tires are loaded, and I assume that they are tubeless....correct? If so, I also assume a plug will work, rather than a $200 trip to the industrial tire center....yes? I'm not a fan of sidewall plugs, but I am lesser so of giving up a wad of cash. One worry is that I make repeated (20+ round trips) from my farm to my neighbors farm transporting round bales, on the road at full speed. I'd hate to have a sudden air loss. Comments are always appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    556.2 KB · Views: 455
   / Dag Nabbit! #2  
eewww you tasted it :p
That's what nice about using rim guard put a plug air it up a move on!;)

/ Dag Nabbit!
Well....yeah I tasted it....it looked good, and my tire was kinda' clean (on the inside).

Alright Captain Kioti.....I'll plug it up and go! Thanks.

/ Dag Nabbit!
Got a tire plug kit at Napa and successfully plugged the sidewall. I don't know how much Rimguard I lost, because the tire seems lighter than they did when I adjusted the wheelspan a few months ago.

Unfortunately, I buggered up one stud and lighly messed up two others takig the tire off (in the dark). The lug nuts went on and didn't strip, but they were cutting thread for sure.

Last edited:
   / Dag Nabbit! #5  
Sorry to see the self inflicted wound, hate those.

I bet the plug lasts as long as the tire.

I had similar thing happen with a brand new mustang 5.0 I bought in 88, had it a week and hit a nail, plugged it and never had a problem. Took that sucker up to over 132 mph and that plugged tire ran perfect.

Still laughing about the horses kicking the snot out of eachother.....

Joel

/ Dag Nabbit!
So far so good! I keep the plug kit in the tool box on the tractor now.

Yeah....my wife treats the horses like they are fragile critters. We've left them barefoot, and their hooves are like steel. They play alot, and frequently one hauls up and connects with a serious kick. My wife will almost cry about it, but the horses shake it off like a fly bite. A kick like that would put us in the hospital, if not the morgue! To them it's play. That's why you should not play with your horse.....

One day she was grooming her horse Sprirt, who she tied up to an 8-inch post embedded 4' deep in a hole filled with concrete. The wind cracked a branch in a tree behind them, spooking the horse. Spirit just took off running back to the paddock, dragging the post and attached concrete that he ripped out of the ground with his neck like it was a toothpick! I had to put that post back in with my tractor, and I couldn't even drag it back to the hole without a machine!

So when she frets about the horses possible getting hurt when they have to jump 3 feet over a small stream, I just laugh....

/ Dag Nabbit! #7  
Amazing how strong some animals are.

Sounds like spirit is running at well over 1 horsepower....

Must be that nitro you're feeding him.

How many hours on the tractor now? Looks like you are really working that thing.

Had mine out yesterday, took my nine foot fisher plow(with 8 inch cutting edge and welded on top extension) off of my Kioti Hauler and loaded it into the flatbed. Tractor moved that plow around like my bucket was empty.

Joel

/ Dag Nabbit!
Yeah, I'm working the unit hard. 138 hours on it! It sees action every day.

These units are beasts. Weight + hydraulics wins every time....

/ Dag Nabbit! #9  
Horses.. yeah, they are strong. I had a hoof shaped bruise on my thigh that lasted for months, and that was just a little playful 'cow kick'.

And about that playing around ditches... we have eventing thoroughbreds, they jump logs, ditches water, **** I have trouble climbing over. However, some folks I know were trenching a ditch to their new barn, and the horses were curious. One of their eventers laid on the ground in the fresh dirt to roll, and ended up wedged in the ditch feet in the air! (Stupid animals.. :) That's a deadly position for a horse...

Took a backhoe, and a broken arm, but they saved the horse..

/ Dag Nabbit! #10  
I believe I suggested some time ago you rid yourself of the horses. See what they cause?

BTW Never tast rimguard without washing it down with Old Can't-Walkee.

Can I interest you in a cat or two? -WSJ