Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST, Case DX35

Default Front wheels locked

CK30HST, 487 hours. Helping dig our pool today - I get to move the spoils. Lots of repetitive forward and reverse over short distance to load and empty bucket. While reversing, my front wheels just locked up. Was in 4wd at the time. Shifted out of 4wd, but to no avail other than I can't seem to shift back in. Front wheels don't want to spin either direction.
    HELP - any thoughts, suggestions what to look for? This happened just before quitting time, so I'll get a better look tomorrow.

David
    David
    Please visit: Vacation Hawaii

CK30HST, FEL w/ATI Tach all, Toothbar, Pallet forks, BH, Hydraulic Offset Flail, Brush Hog, Box Blade, PHD, Tiller, Landscape Rake, Boom pole w/extension&winch, Quick hitch, TuffTop Canopy
    Case DX35 w/LX116 "bobtach" Loader,

Tractor
    Kioti LK3054xs TLB, 2004

Default Re: Front wheels locked

Hmmm, for both wheels to not want to spin sounds like something went wrong in the differential.

I'm thinking you're gonna need to pull the diff apart.

I don't have my manual with me, but would expect one wheel or the other to spin if anything other than the diff it's self.

Joel
    Joel
    2004 Kioti LK3054XS TLB
    Woods Box Blade
    King Cutter Tiller
    Three Point Snow Blower
    York rake
    60 inch king kutter tiller
    1994 Ford F600 Dump Truck "Kioti Hauler"

Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST

Use the loader to lift the front end up off the ground and try and move the wheels around. You have no breaks up there to go foul. All the fun bevel gear stuff in the outboard housings could fail but would leave only one wheel locked up since you have an open differential. Your problem would be in the diff itself or in the driveline/tranny. When in 2wd you can reach into the little hole under the tractor and actually rotate the driveline.

Did you have oil in it? I'm sure you did.
    Kioti CK30HST, FEL w/toothbar, 60" RC, 60" BB, PJ 10k trailer. Weekend warrior hauling 50 miles each way.

Veteran Member
    Approved Advertiser
    Tractor
    MAHINDRA

I have seen this 3 times already this year...
    Customers have not been putting enough gear oil in the front axel and when run a distance it heats up the front diff which is not getting the lube because of the fluid level being to low.
    It takes out the pinion if you remove one of the hubs you can look in and see if the center section gears are blued.

I hope this is not your case but it sure does sound like what the other tractors did when they broke.
    Wallace Tractor and Equipment
    www.wallacetractorandequipment.com
    rwallacetractor@echoes.net
    RICK WALLACE

(570) 689-7494

We're not just a tractor store anymore!

Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST, Case DX35

Thanks so far
    With the front lifted via the bucket, both wheels rotate freely (opposite directions).
    The 4wd Lever is in the UP (disengaged) position and will not go DOWN (engaged) position. I was in 4wd when the problem occurred and disengaged to see if it made a difference.

To be continued....

David
    David
    Please visit: Vacation Hawaii

CK30HST, FEL w/ATI Tach all, Toothbar, Pallet forks, BH, Hydraulic Offset Flail, Brush Hog, Box Blade, PHD, Tiller, Landscape Rake, Boom pole w/extension&winch, Quick hitch, TuffTop Canopy
    Case DX35 w/LX116 "bobtach" Loader,

Tractor
    Kioti LK3054xs TLB, 2004

Rick has mentioned this in the past when I was doing my maintenance. I think the cause is, the oil will fill to the sight glass prior to running down into the low spots on the final drives. You need to keep filling until you've measured in the measured amount as it will continually run into the low spots.

I almost made the mistake until I took a hard look and kept adding the oil until I had put in the recommended amount.

Its a result of the shape of the castings, not that the castings are faulty, just that the oil takes time to fill all the nooks and crannies.

As Rick stated, I hope you've not toasted the diff.

Good luck,
    Joel
    Joel
    2004 Kioti LK3054XS TLB
    Woods Box Blade
    King Cutter Tiller
    Three Point Snow Blower
    York rake
    60 inch king kutter tiller
    1994 Ford F600 Dump Truck "Kioti Hauler"

Veteran Member
    In the palm of Michigan's Lower Peninsula
    Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST, KL130 FEL, turf tires

The CK30 has a sight glass in the front axle to check the oil level.

I have this sudden urge to go out and double check the oil level in my front axle.

Don

Tractor
    Kioti CK35 HST

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    I have seen this 3 times already this year...
    Customers have not been putting enough gear oil in the front axel and when run a distance it heats up the front diff which is not getting the lube because of the fluid level being to low.
    It takes out the pinion if you remove one of the hubs you can look in and see if the center section gears are blued.

I hope this is not your case but it sure does sound like what the other tractors did when they broke.
    Glad I read this before I do my 50 hr service.

Is gear oil the recommended lube? the manual says gear lube or hydraulic fluid.
    2008 Kioti CK35 HST, KL130P FEL, Woods BH80X hyd thumb backhoe, Woods Brushbull BB60, King Kutter II 60" tiller, Markham grapple, Caroni 72" finish mower

Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST

Just to clarify, the front axle is supposd to hold 5 quarts of 90W? and does someone have a picture of this "sight glass?" I just did the 50 hour service on my Ck30hst about 2 weeks ago and the front axle took all 5 quarts with no problem, however I previously read a post from someone who said it takes a while for the frant axle to fill up and people were not putting enough oil in it. My dealer and owners manual both said it takes 5 quarts, but after adding the 5 I wasnt sure if I should add more.

Veteran Member

Sight glass on mine is on the rear left side of the axle. I have heard that not all machines have one.
    Jim

- '01 Husqvarna W4814- 48" walk behind lawn mower.
    - '04 John Deere Z-Trac 727A- 54" ZTR
    - '13 Kioti DK40 HST - KL401 loader, DK40 72" QA bucket, LK3054 60" QA bucket, toothbar for 60" bucket, dual rear remotes, 7ft 6 way rear blade, 78" ETA Box Blade, Woods BH-90x backhoe, loaded rear tires, Kioti Canopy.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast