Oil & Fuel Out of fuel DK45s

/ Out of fuel DK45s #1  

buyerjohn

Silver Member
Tractor
DK45s with cab
I've surveyed the other threads regarding this but am not clear on what to do...to make matters worse, I have shop manual and an owner's manual that use different pictures and different terminology to solve the problem...anybody shed light on the following:

1. the shop manual talks about a vent cock on the fuel injection pump needing to be opened while starting the engine...what does this look like?

2. the owner's manual talks about a fuel filter cock -- is that the same as the vent cock above?

3. the owner's manual also says to bleed air by pushing down the priming pump by hand but doesn't show where this is located or what it looks like ( go figure... :mad:) ...anybody?

4. One other thing...when the tractor stopped, it stopped without sputtering first...I'm assuming I ran out of gas but could it be something else stupid that I did?

So i have one document telling me to pump to bleed air and another telling me to open an air vent...I have no idea which is correct, yet they are instructions for the same machine.

I'd appreciate help...the beast is in the middle of the driveway...:) and not moving! No power for 7 days and now this...I'd be forever indebted to somebody who can post a picture of the important parts...

thanks, John.

/ Out of fuel DK45s #2  
John, the fuel filter cock I think is a shut off valve. You use it to stop the fuel flow so you change the filter. Since you didn't touch it (I assume you've touched nothing) you can ignore this item.

The bleeder or vent cock is the ticket IF you've run out of fuel. Did you?
If so, refill the tank and bleed the vent - refer to the attached picture.

If things are really bad you may need to crack open each line the crank the engine until you see fuel leaking at each line. Tighten them up and fire away.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Attachments

• Kioti vent cock.jpg
    Kioti vent cock.jpg
    551 KB · Views: 1,887
   / Out of fuel DK45s #3  
On the DK45S and the rest of the current model KIOTIS, ther is an "air" positon on the fuel petcock located on top of the filter housing. you open this to "air" and crank the engine until the filter is full... If air has gotten past that to the injector pump, you may have to bleed the lines, but often, just purging the air at the filter will work.

/ Out of fuel DK45s #4  
On the DK45S and the rest of the current model KIOTIS, ther is an "air" positon on the fuel petcock located on top of the filter housing. you open this to "air" and crank the engine until the filter is full... If air has gotten past that to the injector pump, you may have to bleed the lines, but often, just purging the air at the filter will work.

Thanks for the clarification BlueChip. I've got a golden oldie (1993) and the petcock only has on or off positions. Would be nice to upgrade to one of these newfangled machines though ;)

/ Out of fuel DK45s
thanks for the quick replies...so the fuel petcock is on top of the fuel filter? and is labeled "air"? Does the fuel pump sit on top of the fuel filter? The picture that Kent posted is similar to the one in my shop manual...seems like you're saying this is not correct BC and that the vent cock is not on a separate line as the diagram shows.

In the diagram in my owner's manual it labels what looks like the fuel filter as the fuel filter cock and the button on top of the filter as the fuel filter....perhaps they are labeled backwards? What is the priming pump they refer to that has to be pushed down to prime the pump by hand? This seems to be a way to get rid of the air without trying to start the tractor...but I'm not sure.

/ Out of fuel DK45s #6  
John - I was too quick on the trigger. Chip is correct, the attached from my manual confirms his comments and gives the procedure.

Attachments

• Kioti bleeding procedures.gif
    Kioti bleeding procedures.gif
    64.8 KB · Views: 626
   / Out of fuel DK45s
John - I was too quick on the trigger. Chip is correct, the attached from my manual confirms his comments and gives the procedure.

thanks Kent...so that implies there are 2 different valves to open, one on the filter and one on the injection pump - is that correct?

What's the correct order...clear the filter first of air, then go to the pump, then to the lines?

I tried starting it a bunch of times after I added diesel so I don't know if that will have made it any worse.

/ Out of fuel DK45s #8  
OK another picture attached - poor quality but you can see it. Like Chip said, the petcock needs to be bled first. It is right above the fuel filter bowl and it will be marked with positions for Off, On & Air. Follow the instructions on my previous posting.

If that doesn't work, follow the next recommended procedure (also in my previous posting) which involves opening the vent cock above the round fuel pump (pix in my other posting is clear). Still no luck? proceed to the dreaded cracking open of all the lines - not all that difficult but messy and a PITA.

Attachments

• Kioti petcock.gif
    Kioti petcock.gif
    23.2 KB · Views: 663
   / Out of fuel DK45s
Okay - spent a couple of hours trying to debug. I was by myself so it made it difficult to do this properly.

Here is a picture of the fuel filter...definitely a different set up than any of the shop manuals...there is no petcock. There is a small valve on the far right side that can be opened and the top of the unit is a pump - to pump air out of the filter. I did this but it still didn't start. Here is a picture of that section:

2_fuel.jpg

I did not remove any hoses at this section which is the fuel feed pump...it feeds the fuel filter:

3_fuel.jpg

Here is the fuel injector pump section with the 4 lines leading to the injectors/valves.

4_fuel.jpg

I loosened the center nut (with the black wire crossing it) and fuel flowed from this location. I then removed the left most injector line at the pump and cranked the starter. No fuel flowed out of the pump at this point. A couple of questions:

1. is the injector pump electrically powered? If so, is this the FFT fuse? or is it another fuse? The FFT fuse appeared good when I checked it.

2. this tractor only has 300 hours on it...could the injector pump be bad?

3. Ideas on how to better test the injector pump?

Having no fuel flowing out of the injector pump seems to be consistent with the tractor just dying instead of sputtering to a stop if I had indeed run out of gas.

I should have removed some of the fuel lines when cranking but didn't have a 2nd set of hands.

John.

/ Out of fuel DK45s #10  
This may be a silly thing, but looks like the cable from the fuel shut off at the injector is disconnected? Did you do that? Is it possible the fuel cut off at the injector is off? I think that on my machine at least I've got a manual fuel cut off at the injector, which is how I shut my machine down.

Do you know for a fact the feeder pump is working?

Not for nothing, but depending on the year, are you still under warranty?

Joel