Need Part Number For Ordering: Steering broke

/ Need Part Number For Ordering: Steering broke #1  

davefox

Tractor
Kioti LK2554
I don't have the manual for the exact part number, but my model number is LK2554.

I have attached a couple of pictures. It's the main geared shaft that comes out of the steering box and connects to the steering linkages.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this tractor is my only way of clearing snow up here in Michigan.

Dave

Attachments

• HPIM5534.JPG
    HPIM5534.JPG
    437.2 KB · Views: 787
  • HPIM5567.JPG
    HPIM5567.JPG
    296.2 KB · Views: 647
  • HPIM5568.JPG
    HPIM5568.JPG
    295.9 KB · Views: 446
   / Need Part Number For Ordering: Steering broke #2  
You might want to take the shaft to a good welder and have them weld it up. If they grind it on a 45 and do what ever else a good welder is supposed to do it should work. I told one of my customers how much the part was and he had his welded and it worked fine for him. Good luck.

/ Need Part Number For Ordering: Steering broke #3  
davefox, How did you make out on your broken sector shaft? Were you able to get it apart without haveing to remove the complete steering box and steering colume from the control panel? I ordered thrust washers for mine (b7200) because of excessive play, but havent gottin into actually tearing it apart yet. bedway

/ Need Part Number For Ordering: Steering broke #4  
That is the Sector Shaft - Part No. 35270-16600

/ Need Part Number For Ordering: Steering broke
I got it fixed. Overall not too bad of a job. Took about 4 hours start to finish. Of course, now that I did it once, I could do it again in about an hour. In order to save the rest of you from spending more time than necessary I will try to document what I did.

I did not have to take off the steering box. It ended up being pretty darn simple. Removed the bolts (4 of them) from the opposite side, pulled out from the right side. Put new one in.

I made it a little more difficult on myself, as I removed the dash, gas-tank, throttle plate, in order to give me full access. I'm not sure it was necessary or not. Definitely wasn't for the removal of he sector shaft, as the broken one wasn't that long and wouldn;t have interfered with anything. Only added a couple of hours in any event. Since I drained the tank, I cleaned it up, replaced my fuel filter, etc.

A couple of things to look out for. BEFORE removal, tie the steering wheel in place. Then mark the sector shaft position as it relates to the housing. I, of course, did not do this. Added about 30-60 minutes trying to figure out the relationship of where the gears meshed. Mostly trial and error. Can be done, but save yourself the hassle.

The original part number is not made any more. The replacement crossed reference to a Kubota part number (don't have it in front of me, but I'll post so it can be referenced). I was a bit skiddish about ordering as it wasn't returnable, but it worked out fine. The part was just a tad longer than the original, so I had to clearance the frame brace notch where the steering rod travels by your left foot. Only had to grind 1/8" - 1/4". Not a big deal.

Last thing was that in looking at the steering travel for the clearance, I discovered that the steering stops on the front wheels were not set. Don't know if they were ever set, or just backed off over time. But, regardless, this seemed to at least contribute to the sector shaft failure, if not directly caused it, because what would happen is if the steering was full to one side and the wheels took any force (ditch, bank of snow, pile of dirt, etc) the force would radiate up the steering linkages and put perpendicular force of the sector shaft. So next time you are doing maintenance give the stops a quick check. May save you some headache down the road.

I think that's it. I'll post the part number and the price (~$150) when I dig it up.

/ Need Part Number For Ordering: Steering broke #6  
The original part is still available from KIOTI, as are all the parts you may need for your LK2554. The KIOTI part is a little more $$'s though.

KIOTI parts may be returnable, depending on the dealer. We generally accept returns if the part is wrong or mis-matched.

/ Need Part Number For Ordering: Steering broke
Well, I wasn't going to get into this, but since you brought it up . . .

You're right. What I meant was the actual PN that is listed as the original part number form my model/year is no longer valid. Kioti, as you mentioned, has a "new" cross referenced part. This can be purchased from Kioti - true enough.

Although, as a side note when I called my local dealer he quoted me $2200. I freaked. He said he would look into it and call me back. He called back 2 hours later with a revised quote of $1800 (based on the original part number no longer available). I then went to the web, and found a cross to the Kubota part number. If I couldn't get it local that day and was going to have to wait for shipping anyway, I was going for the least expensive route possible.

I eventually heard back that the MSRP on the current Kioti PN was in the $350 neighborhood. I have no idea if that's true or not. And it didn't matter as I already had the replacement. I'll chalk up my local dealer as a one-off nut, but I got three other quotes from other dealers all over $300 + delivery. Not sure why Kubota can sell the same part number for less than half the cost. Oh, and they had it in stock, and shipped it that day. All the Kioti dealers were drop shipping and would take 3-5 additional days if it was even stocked at the distributor at the time.

/ Need Part Number For Ordering: Steering broke #8  
Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, that part is approximately $350.00 from KIOTI. Not sure why the price difference. Glad you were able to save some $$'s.

Thanks again.

/ Need Part Number For Ordering: Steering broke #9  
I got it fixed. Overall not too bad of a job. Took about 4 hours start to finish. Of course, now that I did it once, I could do it again in about an hour. In order to save the rest of you from spending more time than necessary I will try to document what I did.

I did not have to take off the steering box. It ended up being pretty darn simple. Removed the bolts (4 of them) from the opposite side, pulled out from the right side. Put new one in.

I made it a little more difficult on myself, as I removed the dash, gas-tank, throttle plate, in order to give me full access. I'm not sure it was necessary or not. Definitely wasn't for the removal of he sector shaft, as the broken one wasn't that long and wouldn;t have interfered with anything. Only added a couple of hours in any event. Since I drained the tank, I cleaned it up, replaced my fuel filter, etc.

A couple of things to look out for. BEFORE removal, tie the steering wheel in place. Then mark the sector shaft position as it relates to the housing. I, of course, did not do this. Added about 30-60 minutes trying to figure out the relationship of where the gears meshed. Mostly trial and error. Can be done, but save yourself the hassle.

The original part number is not made any more. The replacement crossed reference to a Kubota part number (don't have it in front of me, but I'll post so it can be referenced). I was a bit skiddish about ordering as it wasn't returnable, but it worked out fine. The part was just a tad longer than the original, so I had to clearance the frame brace notch where the steering rod travels by your left foot. Only had to grind 1/8" - 1/4". Not a big deal.

Last thing was that in looking at the steering travel for the clearance, I discovered that the steering stops on the front wheels were not set. Don't know if they were ever set, or just backed off over time. But, regardless, this seemed to at least contribute to the sector shaft failure, if not directly caused it, because what would happen is if the steering was full to one side and the wheels took any force (ditch, bank of snow, pile of dirt, etc) the force would radiate up the steering linkages and put perpendicular force of the sector shaft. So next time you are doing maintenance give the stops a quick check. May save you some headache down the road.

I think that's it. I'll post the part number and the price (~$150) when I dig it up.

What is the part number and where did you order it? Thanks

/ Need Part Number For Ordering: Steering broke #10  
I have the same problem with a KIOTI LK 3504. I have a new sector shaft and have removed the 4 bolts on the right side and the cover is loose but will not come off. I tapped the broken shaft with a hammer and moved it in a little but it seems to be stuck. Is there a trick to removing the sector shaft?