Bucket mod - hitch receivers vs hooks

/ Bucket mod - hitch receivers vs hooks #2  
   / Bucket mod - hitch receivers vs hooks
Great, thanks.

If the stores were open today I'd be on it right now. I'm going to put 1 in the center of the bucket and see if that is enough before I spend any more to put any on either side.

Jim

/ Bucket mod - hitch receivers vs hooks #4  
I have one center receiver mounted. Works great, use it for a homemade pallet/brush attach., moving trailers (all the time), and other attachments I've made. I mounted mine dead center on top. Added a 2x2 thick wall steel piece to the underside of the bucket to add some strength. You definately need to reinforce somehow.

I'll be adding one on either side as well. Sort of my own quick attach system.

Well, I have bought the parts. KiotiAcres, could you please describe the 2x2 thick wall steel piece for me a bit, I'm not clear. Is it a tube? Where does it start and end? How did you attach it? Sorry but I want to avoid damage to the bucket.

IXLR8, did you reinforce the bucket? I did not pick it up in your post.

/ Bucket mod - hitch receivers vs hooks #7  
IXLR8, did you reinforce the bucket? I did not pick it up in your post.
On mine, the receiver is welded to piece of 3x3 angle iron 16 inchs long. The angle iron is then bolted to the bucket with 4- 1/2" diameter bolts.

/ Bucket mod - hitch receivers vs hooks #8  
I have two receivers and two hooks on my ck35.

I use them to hook up my forks, and hopefully soon my brush rake, if I ever get finished scrounging parts for it.
3027511643_cbdd32c6d2_b.jpg

Though I've went back and redesigned how my forks attach. I no longer have to leave the seat to hook up.

The hitch mount that I got is welded to a plate of 1/4" thick steel that is 5" wide and 14" long. It is pre-drilled for 1/2 inch bolts (I have bought grade 8 bolts). The bucket I have is (barely) 3/8" thick steel and there is a 1" square tube welded inside the top front edge for strength. The top "flat" part of the bucket is 5ft long and 5" wide. Should I bolt another piece of flat stock to the entire flat top part or something else? Do you think the 5" x 14" plate is enough? Opinions?

/ Bucket mod - hitch receivers vs hooks #10  
Ruby Goldberg Bucket modification!

Supplies:
2 x 6 receiver tube - tractor supply - $10.00 ea.
3/16 x 3 x 1/38 - 6ft. channel steel - metal yard - $20.00
2 receiver tow hook Harbor Freight - $8.00 ea.
3/8 weld-on chain hooks awdirect - $5.00 ea.
Ability to create and plug in a variety of helpful gadgets PRICELESS!

Tools:
Lincoln 135 flux-core
Hobart Stickmate Welder AC/DC
7018 Rod

Process:
1. I first ground off all the paint from the top of the bucket where I planned on welding. What a PIA. The paint just wanted to melt and gum-up the grinder.
2. Ditto for the receiver tubes.
3. Cut steel channel using a chop saw and dry fit all components.
4. Tacked receiver tubes into place on bucket with Lincoln flux-core.
5. Capped receiver tack weld with Hobart & 7018 rod.
6. Ground relief in channel to fit over existing welds on tube.
7. Tack welded channels to bucket with Lincoln flux-core.
8. Stitched with 7018 about every 4 inches.
9. Filled in between stitches with Lincoln flux-core
10. Tacked on 3/8 chain hooks with Lincoln flux-core & caped with 7018 rod.
11. Sprayed with automotive body primer, hey it's a working machine.

Strength? Well I had a couple of boulders to move so I lassoed them with a slip chain and tried to pick them up. I was able to barely pick up one of them up but not the other one I could not so I dragged it. The buck and hooks held up without detectable deflection though the loader arms were quite twisted on the one I was able to pick up even though it was pretty much centrally located to the buck the rock was not of uniform shape so it shifted the center of gravity. I considered this a maximum load test for me and my machine. I can never imagine using it to a greater capacity. I could imagine any form of serious jarring could bend or break something but I would consider that abusing the equipment so there are no guarantees there. I do have a variety of gadgets on the to-do list so as I create them I will post them.
Attached Thumbnails