Oil & Fuel What Transmission oil to use

/ What Transmission oil to use #1  

Capt. Bob

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30 FEL
I am coming up on my 50hr. service on my CK30 gear drive. I have all my filters and the motor oil I plan to use. I have not found a place that sells the transmission oil that Kioti recommends. I checked the local tractor supply and they have a universal trans. fluid that is recommended by just about every tractor manufacturer I have ever heard of and some I haven't but Kioti. It is supposed to be 20wt. Is this the same stuff with a different brand name that Kioti says I am supposed to use? Also it says in my owners manual to use transmission oil or SAE 90 gear oil in the front diff. That is a big difference in weight of oil if it is the right stuff. What do some of you use and where do you get it? Thanks

Did a search and found the info I needed.

Last edited:
   / What Transmission oil to use #2  
I am coming up on my 50hr. service on my CK30 gear drive. I have all my filters and the motor oil I plan to use. I have not found a place that sells the transmission oil that Kioti recommends. I checked the local tractor supply and they have a universal trans. fluid that is recommended by just about every tractor manufacturer I have ever heard of and some I haven't but Kioti. It is supposed to be 20wt. Is this the same stuff with a different brand name that Kioti says I am supposed to use? Also it says in my owners manual to use transmission oil or SAE 90 gear oil in the front diff. That is a big difference in weight of oil if it is the right stuff. What do some of you use and where do you get it? Thanks

Did a search and found the info I needed.
Why not go to your local Kioti dealer and get your tranny fluid from them?coobie

/ What Transmission oil to use #3  
got my trans fluid at walmart. I was in the same dilemma when I hit 50hr. i found from some others that they were using this. Had it in mine for a while and works great, Shell rotella tractor transmission hydro and wet brakes oil, I may not have the name quite right but you cant miss it.

/ What Transmission oil to use #4  
got my trans fluid at walmart. I was in the same dilemma when I hit 50hr. i found from some others that they were using this. Had it in mine for a while and works great, Shell rotella tractor transmission hydro and wet brakes oil, I may not have the name quite right but you cant miss it.
I have to rant and rave here a little bit.Why do folks buy there trans fluid at walmart and not support there local dealers.Do you think walmart will fix your tractor if something go,s wrong with it because you chose to use the incorrect fluid?I guess I am from the old school in support your local dealer that you bought from.coobie

/ What Transmission oil to use #5  
I have to rant and rave here a little bit.Why do folks buy there trans fluid at walmart and not support there local dealers.Do you think walmart will fix your tractor if something go,s wrong with it because you chose to use the incorrect fluid?I guess I am from the old school in support your local dealer that you bought from.coobie
The dealer I bought from is nearly 90 miles away. I don't go there, I go 2 miles up the road for oil and fluids.

/ What Transmission oil to use #6  
Coobie - Some of us do not have local dealers to buy anything from. Are you suggesting that Kioti will not honor the warranty if you use a fluid that meets or exceeds the specifications they tell you to use. It says right on the top of the lubricants table in my manual "To prevent serious equipment damage, use only genuine KIOTI fluids, oils and greases, or equivalents." I am sure Kioti does not make oils, oil additive packages, or even filters. I am sure they purchase oils and filters and have a Kioti stamp imprinted on it. How many of you buy all of your car parts (filters, tires, belts, hoses, wiper blades, filters)and oil from your car dealer?

Capt Bob - 90W gear oil is not the same viscosity as say 90W motor oil (if there is such a thing). 90W gear oil is about the same viscosity as 10w-40 motor oil. I plan on using transmission oil in my front differential when I do the 50 hour service on my 2008 CK30H fairly soon. The is one of the lubricants specified in the manual and I am going to have 2+ gallons left over after I change the transmission oil.

I have done a lot of research on oils in preparation for this service and bought 2 five gallon pails of Shell Rotella Heavy Duty Universal Tractor Fluid (UTF) at my local WalMart for $54.97 each. I sent Shell the lubricants list from the manual and they said for our application the HD UTF would exceed the requirements.

Here are some prices that I have found locally for different transmission/hydraulic fluids for 5 gallon:

Napa UTF - $43.40
Napa Premium UTF - $65.00
Chevron 1000 THF from Napa - ~$70
Multi-Trac from Advance Auto Parts - $48.39
Coastal Multitrac (from Auto Zone I think) - $44.99
WalMart UTF - $48.00
Sams UTF - $40.68
John Deere Hy-Gard - $64.48
Traveller UTF from Tractor Supply Company - $39.99

I think as long as you buy a UTF that is designed for use in wet brake applications you will be ok and if the fluid is designed to meet JD JD20 Hy-Gard or IH Case Hytran it should work just fine. These are very common fluid standards and most fluid containers you read will reference both of these fluids.

As often as I think I will have to change my fluids, I am more concerned about quality than price. I am comfortable with a brand name like Shell, although many of these oils probably come from the same place and are just packaged differently. I think I will probably change my transmission fluid at 250 hours rather than wait for 450 hours (2nd service). At that change I think I will probably use JD Hy-Gard because I think it is a very high quality fluid, readily available (for me), and not much more expensive. I think the differential cost of fluid between really cheap and high quality fluid is pretty insignificant unless you really rack up the hours on your machine.

At $8 per gallon (the cheapest stuff I found) it will cost you about $60 to change the transmission fluid.

At $11 per gallon for the Shell HD UTF I bought it will cost you about $82.50 to change the transmission fluid.

At $14 per gallon (the most expensive stuff I found) it will cost you about $105 to change the transmission fluid.

The cost difference between the cheapest and most expensive would cost $45 more. I am not saying just because it costs more it is better, but it gives me piece of mind to go with a name "I" can trust.

I do not believe that a synthetic transmission fluid is worth the extra cost for me. I live down south where it stays nice and warm.

Jeff LeTempt
CK30H - 30 hours
Enterprise, AL

/ What Transmission oil to use
Why not go to your local Kioti dealer and get your tranny fluid from them?coobie

My nearest dealer is 100+ miles away.

/ What Transmission oil to use #9  
When you bought your tractors why not buy the fluids and filters for the 50 hour service from the dealers then?Just curiuos?coobie

/ What Transmission oil to use #10  
I use VIP tractor hyrdraulic fluid.

Coobie, I try to purchase (support) my kioti guys as much as possible, but there are certain times when you just need to get something done, and purchasing at closest store at most reasonable price is a way to best support my family.

I totaly get where you are coming from though.

There is definately a balance.

Respectfully,
Joel