Snow Snow Bucket

/ Snow Bucket #1  

gboudreau

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40
After taking too much time moving snow with the standard Kioti bucket does anyone out there have a larger snow bucket they use on there tractor? I have been looking a high volume skidsteer quicktach buckets, but at thsi point I am even thinking of building my own. Does anyone have pics of theirs?

/ Snow Bucket #2  
Thats why I built this extension, makes a snow bucket out of your regular bucket. Pretty simple to hook up (4 bolts), easy to take off, and cheaper thana whole new bucket.

Attachments

• light duty bucket loaded with snow.JPG
    light duty bucket loaded with snow.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,340
  • light duty bucket with snow up close.JPG
    light duty bucket with snow up close.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,333
   / Snow Bucket #3  
Gary -

I also live in NH and run a Kubota tractor with the Quick Steer. I don't have any pictures, but I can tell you what my experience was. For my 5030 I purchased an 8' snow bucket from Wildcat Attachments and when pushing light snow it worked very well. But I had to be very careful when the snow was wet. The rear tires were loaded and I had an 8' grader blade on the back and when I dumped the bucket with the wet snow, it felt the rear was light. I am in the process of buying an 8' snow pusher. Hope to get it this weekend.

Dennis

/ Snow Bucket #4  
Thats why I built this extension, makes a snow bucket out of your regular bucket. Pretty simple to hook up (4 bolts), easy to take off, and cheaper than a whole new bucket.
Extension looks interesting, I sure could have used it today moving some snow and some firewood. Can you give us more details, with pics?

/ Snow Bucket #5  
Dennis,
I am also in Chester. Be careful about the snow pusher. They are great for paved lots and driveways, but if you hit a curb or frozen rock, small stump, all the force is transferred to the FEL arms. I had the Paynes snow pusher and found that out the hard way. This is why I use a plow blade with a spring trip system.

Attachments

• Snow Killer.jpg
    Snow Killer.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 971
   / Snow Bucket #6  
NHBotanut,

Can you elaborate on "finding out the hard way"? I have a sub frame mounted blade coming, but there have been other discussions here about the pros and cons of using the FEL frame mounted blades. So far, no one had any problems except for your reference.

Any details will help us avoid doing something similar.

Thanks,

Jon

/ Snow Bucket #7  
there have been other discussions here about the pros and cons of using the FEL frame mounted blades. So far, no one had any problems except for your reference.
Most FEL mounted snow blades have trip springs (or at least should have trip springs) like plows on a pickup truck. If you hit something solid the plow can flip down and spring back preventing damage to the loader arms.
Snow pushers have no trip springs. They are mounted solid to the loader, if you hit a solid object you will slam to a stop and all the force is transmitted to the loader arms and machine.

/ Snow Bucket #8  
Extension looks interesting, I sure could have used it today moving some snow and some firewood. Can you give us more details, with pics?

I'll have to take some more pics and clean out the snow a little so you can see the details a little better but I'll explain what I did. It was really simple. Just had some old 1/4 inch plate steel around so I cut the bottom portion to the right width, then cut the sides to match the contour of the bucket sides. I had a piece of 1/2 inch steel about three inches wide and 24 inches long. Cut into three pieces. Laid the bottom of the bucket on top of the extension overlapping about 2 inches then took the 1/2 inch pieces and welded them at an angle to kind of act as a receiver for the bucket lip. To attach to the bucket I just used 4 strips of the 1/4 inch plate, about 3 inches wide and 20 inches or so long. (Two for each side. One at the top of the bucket and one at the bottom. I put the top one on the outside of the bucket and the bottom one on the inside so it helps line everything up and keep the edge of the extension flush to the edge of the bucket. Put in the four bolts and welded everything in place. No measuring to speak of cause everything was welded in place so it fit perfectly. The top bolts are really all that are needed. I don't even use the boottom set but they're there if I need them. Works great as a snow bucket, for manure, and sawdust that we use for bedding, as a work platform, moving leaves etc. Probably weighs about 100lbs and reduces lifting capacity by that much but I can fill it with wet snow and still lift it.

/ Snow Bucket #9  

If the pics attached it should make my post a little more self explanatory. As you can see from the snow I at least doubled my bucket capacity volume wise.

Attachments

• bucket extension braces.JPG
    bucket extension braces.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 476
  • bucket extension front.JPG
    bucket extension front.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 539
  • bucket extension inside side view.JPG
    bucket extension inside side view.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 307
  • bucket extension outside side view.JPG
    bucket extension outside side view.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 451
  • snow in bucket.JPG
    snow in bucket.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 362
   / Snow Bucket #10  
If the pics attached it should make my post a little more self explanatory. As you can see from the snow I at least doubled my bucket capacity volume wise.
Thanks, time for me to look around the shop and see what I have to make up something similar.