Can I use this top link?

/ Can I use this top link? #1  

Gittyup

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK25 Shuttle Shift, loaded tires, JD X739
I got this hydraulic top link with a 3ph fork lift that I bought. Question for those with more tractor experience: Can I use this thing just like it is? The pivot fits between the top link mounting brackets with about 1/4" to spare.

I've found a few other top links on here and on e-bay that lead me to believe that this was used on older style John Deere top links. Anyone know anything about it? If I can't use is as is, can I just cut off the end and weld on a regular top link eye and leave the pivot in it? Or do I have to make it a straight rigid connection.

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• PICT0104.JPG
    PICT0104.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 277
  • PICT0103.JPG
    PICT0103.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 208
  • PICT0102.JPG
    PICT0102.JPG
    267.5 KB · Views: 203
   / Can I use this top link? #2  
Looks alot like mine. Should work fine as long as the quick connects fit your remotes. Wouldn't hurt to purge it with clean fluid before you hook it up to your system. Some of my attachments have less than a quarter inch of clearance, doesn't seem to be a problem.

/ Can I use this top link? #3  
I cannot tell the length. It looks a bit short but maybe it is just chunkier than mine. Otherwise I don't see any reason not to use it. That is an odd looking fitting at one end but if you can get a pin to fit it I'd try it instead of cutting and welding. One needs to be careful welding on hydraulic cylinders for fear of damaging seals.

/ Can I use this top link?
It looks chunky because it is CAT2. It's quite beefy. Big bore cylinder. I picked up some sleeve adapters for it and compatible hydraulic couplers. Length is about 1/2" shorter than the standard Kioti toplink. So, I think in that respect it is ok.

I guess the pivot joint allows it to move freely side to side. It's probably a bit heavier duty than the standard top link eye. I'll give it a try and watch it closely to see if it binds up or anything.

/ Can I use this top link? #5  
Cat 2 is good. I managed to put a slight bend in my hydraulic toplink (Cat 1) while backing with a boxblade.

/ Can I use this top link? #6  
Cat 2 is good. I managed to put some character into my hydraulic toplink (Cat 1) while backing with a boxblade.

Fixed it for ya! Version 2 may be more appropriate.

Cat 2 is good. I managed to put my hydraulic toplink (Cat 1) through some strength training, while backing with a boxblade.

/ Can I use this top link? #7  
Yeah, I like my tractor to have a few battle scars. No polish either.:)

/ Can I use this top link? #8  
That pivoting link on the end is how many bigger tractor, hydraulic 3rd links are made. We have 3 tractors ranging from 125-245 hp with a pivoting end on the bottom. They work just fine. The biggest advantages are:
1. On bigger tractors, the bottom link/hole will wear out with time and the hole gets too large. (My current Cat III link is about a III.5). Can just put a replacement on the bottom by building or ordering a new one.
2. The bottom piece can be purchased in different lengths. Therefore the same cylinder can fit different tractors by just changing the length pivoting end. This is common on larger tractors.
3. The pivoting end can be changed to cat I, II or III by just changing the end. My CIH Maxxum 125 has a metric sized pin on the tractor. (Made in England) Mine is between a Cat II and III. My cylinder is made by Gnuse. Called the company and they will send me new end to put on the cylinder with a metric opening.

/ Can I use this top link? #9  
I would have no issues using that cylinder as a top link. The larger diameter will allow the rod to move slower and better control.

/ Can I use this top link?
Thanks Radman. That's what I thought. I'm gonna give it a try.