50hr service do it yourself???

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / 50hr service do it yourself??? #1  

Typhoon

Gold Member
Tractor
LS MT357HC
Just curious, but do most of you do the 50hr service yourself or take it to the dealer? Do you save alot by doing it yourself? And is it difficult? I am mechanically inclined, but being that this tractor cost a lot of $$$, I want to make sure it is right. Opinions? I have a DK40SE HST.
Thanks.

/ 50hr service do it yourself??? #2  
Just curious, but do most of you do the 50hr service yourself or take it to the dealer?
I did it myself. Not hard to do, just takes some time.

Do you save alot by doing it yourself?
I'm sure you do. But I didn't get any prices from dealers what a service would cost.

/ 50hr service do it yourself??? #3  
Not hard to do and it can give you satisfaction doing it yourself.

My truck cost more than my tractor and I work on that - bet you do too ;).

Take it easy, follow the manual and don't forget to browse TBN's Kioti section. Search on "50 hour service" - you'll find plenty of good advice.

/ 50hr service do it yourself??? #4  
Similar topics have been discussed in the past. It really is up the individual to decide if doing it yourself is worth the hassel and cost savings. Do you have the knowledge/ability? Do you do your own taxes? If yes, then good for you. If you don't do your own taxes - then good for you.

I do my own. Mainly because it takes me more time to load, haul, unload and leave it. Then return, load, haul and unload again.

/ 50hr service do it yourself??? #5  
If you have changed the oil and filter on your car you can do the 50 hour drill. Search the forum for the specific how-to's and lessons learned to save yourself from the rigors of the learning curve. Many others have traveled the path before you.

If you are planning to maintain your tractor yourself, you probably will want to invest in the shop manual and parts list. Very useful pubs.

/ 50hr service do it yourself??? #6  
Shop manual and parts lists are must reads, I actually browse mine every night at bed time, very relaxing.

Doing it yourself really helps to familiarize you with your machine. I think it is time well spent, I also find this sort of thing very relaxing.

There is a lot of good advice on this forum with regards to filling the hydraulic oil (better than 7 gallons for my tractor).

Dealers like Wallace typically have good deals on filter kits, I bought mine from him and bought my manuals, hat and T-Shirt all at the same time.

Good luck,
Joel

/ 50hr service do it yourself??? #7  
I take my trucks to garage to get oil changed,but I do the tractor stuff like that myself,just seems the way to go.Like others have said,kinda satisfying,and you know its done right.

Cars and trucks don't rate up there with tractors,kinda like building a shed or something.

/ 50hr service do it yourself??? #8  
It's all laid out in the owners manual or in a shop repair manual. Certainly if you are mechanical minded enough to operate and own a tractor you should be capable of unscrewing a drain plug. On top of that it is a good reason to become familiar with your tractor and come face to face with the mechanics of the beast. Nothing like it. Just see to it you go to Walmart and secure one of those big round drain pans so you will be prepared to drain 7 gallons of tractor hydraulic fluid from the vehicle. You just can't improvise some needs.

rimshot

/ 50hr service do it yourself???
Thank you all so much for the input. I have decided to do it myself. Will the owners manual be enough or will I need to order a service manual? Looking forward to doing it now!
28 hrs to go!!

/ 50hr service do it yourself??? #10  
Just see to it you go to Walmart and secure one of those big round drain pans so you will be prepared to drain 7 gallons of tractor hydraulic fluid from the vehicle.
I doubt the transmission fluid in a DK40 will all fit in a 7 gallon drain pan.
My DK 35 transmission holds 11 or 12 gallon.
I have to be ready to put my drain plug back in before my drain pans overfill, dump the pans in a storage drum then put them back under the tractor and drain the rest of the fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.