CK20 HST Starting Problem Fixed

/ CK20 HST Starting Problem Fixed #1  

39President

I'll start with the problem. Turned on ignition switch. NO dash lights, turn key to start, nothing, just like battery missing. Turned switch on & off multi times, dash lights came on along with Glo Plug light. As soon as I tired to start, dash lights went off & would not crank. Turned switch on again, this time motor cranked but would not start, just cranked & cranked. Tried again and motor started as always in about 5 seconds. Battery connections were fine. Unpluged every connector under hood. Pluged & unpluged every connector multi times then put dielectric grease in every plug. Careful unpluging connectors so you dont break clips holding connector togeather. I then sprayed electrical cleaner into ignition switch. Turned key on, dash lighs & Glo Plug light came on, motor started in it's usual 5 seconds and is now fine. Machine is stored in unheated portable garage and has been in the rain once last summer. I have found that electrical connectors don't have to be corroded to not make good contact, just a little film of dust & crud can give intermitent contact. This formum has helped me many times, hope this helps someone save $$$ and headaches!

/ CK20 HST Starting Problem Fixed #2  
Thanks for sharing.

I had something similar to that happen to me on an ATV once just as it was getting dark and I was out on the woods with no landmarks....

Jon

/ CK20 HST Starting Problem Fixed
Sounds like it was an exciting night Jon! I forgot to mention I also repeatedly unpluged & pluged all the fuses in the fuse panel & then put dielectric grease in the holder slots.
Nick

/ CK20 HST Starting Problem Fixed #4  
Glad you shared your solution. I would have bet that it was a dirty or loose ground on the battery. (I would have lost).

Hey, I see you name is Nick but what's with the 39President handle?

Jimmy Carter fan?

/ CK20 HST Starting Problem Fixed #5  
Gotta say I was betting on loose or corroded ground also. Live and learn!

I'm restoring a 1939 Studebaker President.
Nick

/ CK20 HST Starting Problem Fixed #7  
I had problems starting mine as well, mine would either do nothing or it would crank and start, but as soon as I let off the key switch it would shut off.
My dealer replaced the switch with a new one. It has a new part #. My dealer told me that Kioti has had problem with it and changed the switch to resolve the problem.
Mine has been fine since.

Ken

Good info Ken. When I first started to check the problem, I noticed the tumbler in the ignition switch seemed pretty sloppy, maybe spraying the electronic cleaner helped. There are to many plugs & fuse holders to clean & check 1 by 1 to have pin pointed the bad connection. If this happens again, I'll try to bypass the ing switch & see if that works.

/ CK20 HST Starting Problem Fixed #9  
I'm restoring a 1939 Studebaker President.
Nick
Shamefacedly I hadn't considered that. I should have guessed as my brother is an affectionado and currently has a 56 Skyhawk (rare) a 62 GT, a 51 Starlight Commander, a 63 Avanti, a 66? Lark and maybe another one or two.

He owned a few Silver & Golden Hawks (supercharged) over the years as well as a station wagon. Member of the Stude club for probably 40+ years too. Matter of fact, his AOL handle is skyhawk01ny. Nice to see there are still some folks around that appreciate them. Post a picture sometime and remember to record the stages of the restoration for posterity ;).

Be darned if I can figure out how to post a photo. Clicked on icon to insert photo & nothing happens!