Buying a Compact Tractor

/ Buying a Compact Tractor #1  

FanMan

Hey you all! I know that Kioti and Bobcat come out of the same plant, but I'm looking to buy a CT235 or the CT335 in the next week or two.. I need some advise on which tractor would be the better tractor.. What concerns me is the Hydrostatic Transmission or the Shuttle Shift Transmission and how much horse power will I lose???? I have 10acres with some small hills on the land and the tractor will be used as a hobby farm productivity... So can you guys help me out!!! Thanks, Tractor Guys...

/ Buying a Compact Tractor #2  
The Kioti by far:DI know that wasn't you question but I had to run with it.:D

How many different operators will be running it?
If your looking at multiable operators go with the hydro.
Also look at ease of operation if your family will be running it.
The 30-35 hp hydro should be no problem for your hilly terrain

/ Buying a Compact Tractor #3  
Rick Wallace nailed it. I have 10 acres with some pretty steep hills and a vineyard. My CK25 hydro is almost perfect. I say almost because when I'm mowing I wish I had purchased the 30 HP version so I could have used a wider mower. I solved the problem by getting a diesel ZTR mower. I have never run out of power for hills or dragging logs or anything else. You will spin three wheels in the dirt before running out of power. If traction on your hills is a concern, get the Ag tires instead of industrial. I spin my industrial tires occasionally on the hills in the morning when the grass is wet with dew. Not generally a problem - I just have to shift to 4wd. My wife can drive the hydro (not that I give her many opportunities) - she wouldn't have touched any of the other tractors.

Whatever you get I think you will be pleased. After three years of working the tractor hard, I've had no problems.

Best of luck!

/ Buying a Compact Tractor
Thanks, Wallace and ERE for taking time out of your day and give me some real world information. Do eather one of you know how much horse power do you lose, with a hydro and will the 35hp hydro pull a small bailer?? Thanks Guys...

/ Buying a Compact Tractor #5  
I've got a CK30Hst with industrial tires and use it on 11 acres. I have never had a problem with the power for pulling a 6' box blade with the scarifiers down, it's usually traction that gives up well before power. I think my 30HP is just about the perfect size for my property, not too big and not too small.

/ Buying a Compact Tractor #6  
Thanks, Wallace and ERE for taking time out of your day and give me some real world information. Do eather one of you know how much horse power do you lose, with a hydro and will the 35hp hydro pull a small bailer?? Thanks Guys...

Massey Ferguson's smallest bailer requires a min of 30Pto hp.
I would not sell my customer a 35hp to run a baler even if it is only 2 times a year.
I want happy customers!
Since we are on the subject of happy customers maybe I can help you out a little:D
I will be receiving a loade of "left over" Kioti tractors from a dealer close out..
I have 2 left to sell one is a DK35SE hydro 38hp and a DK40SE hydro 41hp
These have VERY good prices on them and they do qualify for the free loader program if interested.

/ Buying a Compact Tractor
I would be very interested,but it looks like you are in PA and I live in northern Colorado... I really do thank you for taking time time to answer all my questions and concerns about the tractor....If I was closer, I would have to say you have my business.. Thanks...

/ Buying a Compact Tractor #8  
My manual for my ck 30 says you lose 1 hp for hst verses gear.

Mine is a gear,didn't want a hst,happy with the gear/shuttle shift. Gear is simpler/cheaper.And I grew up shifting gears.

/ Buying a Compact Tractor #9  
I hear you Greenmule...sounds like you know this discussion.:D

FanMan, if you want to decide between gear and HST, there was a good thread a few months ago that hashed it out.

I like standard shift cars, but I like my HST tractor. I'm sure I would be just as happy with a gear tractor too. The previous thread came up with all possible considerations.

You may wish to read previous threads as opposed to asking which is better, as the debate on this site is kind of like Mac vs PC, or which way the toilet roll should hang.....

Cheers,

Jon

/ Buying a Compact Tractor #10  
Dang! I thought that "which way the toilet roll should hang" debate only happened in our house. Maybe it's one of those male-female things.