Nova Scotia Tractor tests

/ Nova Scotia Tractor tests #1  

Steve_Miller

Veteran Member
Tractor
2006 Kioti CK30HST
I borrowed a load cell from work today (vacation day, 29 degrees Celsius) and did a little experimenting. First I did the pull test (tough little Black spruce) connected to the draw bar, as level a pull as possible, rpm's at 2000, low range, no jerking, just ease in as slow as it would go and the weight on the back is 445 kgs (I weighed it as well) and it pulled 1645 kgs. I did this three times and they were all within 15-20kgs of each other. Second I used my truck as I didn't think I could pick it up clear of the ground with the trailer hitch, but to my surprise it cleared the ground, this may not be a really good test as the loader pivot point is not at its furthest point from the tractor which would be it's worst case. That was as close to the truck I wanted to get in case the chain let go. Third was just the weight itself. Hope you enjoy.

Steve

Attachments

• Tractor lifts 006 (Large).jpg
    Tractor lifts 006 (Large).jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 372
  • Tractor lifts 007 (Large).jpg
    Tractor lifts 007 (Large).jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 405
  • Tractor lifts 008 (Large).jpg
    Tractor lifts 008 (Large).jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 415
  • Tractor lifts 009 (Large).jpg
    Tractor lifts 009 (Large).jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 345
  • Tractor lifts 010 (Large).jpg
    Tractor lifts 010 (Large).jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 348
  • Tractor lifts 011 (Large).jpg
    Tractor lifts 011 (Large).jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 475
   / Nova Scotia Tractor tests #2  
For those of us still on SAE measurements:
29 Celsius = 84.2 Fahrenheit
445 Kg = 981 lbs
1645 Kg = 3626 lbs
745 Kg = 1598 lbs

It's nice to have a toy like that to play with. You should put some weight in the back of the truck to see how much more you can lift. That KL130 is rated at 1155lbs to full height so lifting 1598lbs to well over 4ft off the ground is pretty darn good. :D

/ Nova Scotia Tractor tests
That's as high as it would pick the truck up, it wasn't at full height. Just as another note, I put a gauge on my loader hydraulics several months ago and it was set at 24XX psi and the main pump relief was at 2610 psi (at the rear remotes when dead headed)

Steve

/ Nova Scotia Tractor tests #4  
Thanks Steve. I have the same tractor so this is educational. Looks like fun too!

/ Nova Scotia Tractor tests #5  
That was a huge lift. Reminds me of the old days at the gym, I thought a 500 lb deadlift was a lot.

Would be really interesting to see how much you could lift with the bucket and a chain hook on the bucket, I think there are many of us with that sort of set up.

Either way, that is a big lift for that tractor, thanks for posting.

joel

/ Nova Scotia Tractor tests #6  
It would be great to see more independant testing of this tytpe available on compact utility tractors. Thanks for posting this.

/ Nova Scotia Tractor tests #7  
I have the same tractor and thought it could lift pretty good for its size. It's nice to see some numbers from your testing. I never measured my hyd pressures as you which would change the overall numbers a little. Thanks for the info.

/ Nova Scotia Tractor tests #8  
That's as high as it would pick the truck up, it wasn't at full height. Just as another note, I put a gauge on my loader hydraulics several months ago and it was set at 24XX psi and the main pump relief was at 2610 psi (at the rear remotes when dead headed)

Steve

Interesting experiment. You may have proven the same thing I learned a while back. There's a difference between lifting a load and having a load you can lift. Purchased a skid of tile at HD and the weight according to the electronic scale on the forklift that loaded it into my truck said 2,050#'s

Installed the Forks (approx 400#'s) to lift it off. Was able to "lift" the pallet about 3" and take it off the truck and move it into the shed. Needed to move the pallet to another location and again was able to pick it up about 3" and move, HOWEVER, there's no way I could have lifted high enough to load back in the truck.

So, I'd be tempted to say that many of our FEL's might possibly lift a load significantly higher than rated capacity, but would not be able to lift to the extent needed to load / unload / pile high / dump etc.

In the case above, 3" was all I needed, but the actual working load limit is obviously way less than 2,450#'s

/ Nova Scotia Tractor tests #9  
I borrowed a load cell from work today (vacation day, 29 degrees Celsius) and did a little experimenting. First I did the pull test (tough little Black spruce) connected to the draw bar, as level a pull as possible, rpm's at 2000, low range, no jerking, just ease in as slow as it would go and the weight on the back is 445 kgs (I weighed it as well) and it pulled 1645 kgs. I did this three times and they were all within 15-20kgs of each other. Second I used my truck as I didn't think I could pick it up clear of the ground with the trailer hitch, but to my surprise it cleared the ground, this may not be a really good test as the loader pivot point is not at its furthest point from the tractor which would be it's worst case. That was as close to the truck I wanted to get in case the chain let go. Third was just the weight itself. Hope you enjoy.

Steve

Very old thread, sorry to bring it back but I'm curious - When you did the "drawbar pull" test and got 1645 kgs/3636 lbs pulling on the tree:
1) was that pulling until wheel spin or did that "stall out" the hydraulic drive?
2) 4wd and diff lock engaged?

Thanks! Cool test!
Matt

/ Nova Scotia Tractor tests
It would not spin the tires on that concrete pad, hydraulics just went into bypass mode. I'm sure I could have made it stall by lunging but that would have ruined the load cell. Yes it was in 4wd.

Steve

P.s. I should try that test again this spring/summer now that the tractor seems to be a little bit stronger since the 300 hour mark. It seems to have more power in high range than it ever did. Only tweaking I've ever done was to bump my loader relief up to about 2700-2800 psi, this made a substantial difference in the loader's operation.