Preheater controller help

/ Preheater controller help #1  

gpaintjr

The CK30 4 yrs old 155 hrs will not start. I think it is the "preheater controller". It has failed to start in the past a couple of times and a little tap on the preheater box and it would start right up. Is there some sort of trick to get it going till I can call my dealer and get it fixed. It turns over but will not fire off. Thanks

/ Preheater controller help #2  
I've had glow plug problems twice on my CK25 making it difficult or impossible to start in cold weather. Both times I traced it out to the relay that supplies power to the glow plugs. Last time I replaced the relay I took the bad one apart. It appears dirt was getting between the contacts and not allowing electricity to the glow plugs. It was very intermittent on the first relay and the second relay flat out wouldn't work. Once I cleaned the contacts the relay was fine.

The CK25/CK30 is essentially the same beast minus some HP. The relay in question is made by Tyco stamped on top (1393304-9 Product Details - Tyco Electronics). It's located on the firewall. You might take a volt meter and see if your getting voltage at the glow plugs each time you turn on the key, assuming the temperature is below 60. Above that, and I don't believe the pre-heater controller allows electricity to flow.

I believe another of these relays (same type) controls fuel flow if I recall. Something to check out.

/ Preheater controller help #3  
During the no-start cranking, is white smoke being emitted from the exhaust? I was getting this too leading me to blame a lack of glow plugs and now I am occasionally getting a completely dead battery which I believe is from the GPs staying on!! Aren't there several relays on the firewall? Which one is it? I followed the GP wire from the head and it dives into the harness as a black wire of about 12 gauge.

/ Preheater controller help
My tractor dealor just left. He replace a relay on the firewall that controlls the fuel flow. There was no smoke of any kind. No fuel flow af any kind.
The p/no: C5510-43102 description: glow relay. It has daedong on it and tyco on the top. He said that there are 3 of these relays on the firewall that do different things. On my 3 yr old ck30hst it was the one on the left as you stand in front of the tractor looking toward the firewall. Wish I knew more so I could tell you more. The dealer is Ben Parsons from Eton Tractor in Eton GA. phone # 706-422-8190. If you call him tell George Painter (me) gave you his number. He is a great guy and has helped me more than he had to.
Oh yea the part cost $18.95 plus tax.
Hope giving Eton Tractor a plug here is OK. George

/ Preheater controller help #5  
A repair for under $20. Now that is a happy story!

Interesting post, thanks for sharing this story.

/ Preheater controller help #6  
My tractor dealor just left. He replace a relay on the firewall that controlls the fuel flow. There was no smoke of any kind. No fuel flow af any kind.
The p/no: C5510-43102 description: glow relay. It has daedong on it and tyco on the top. He said that there are 3 of these relays on the firewall that do different things. On my 3 yr old ck30hst it was the one on the left as you stand in front of the tractor looking toward the firewall. Wish I knew more so I could tell you more. The dealer is Ben Parsons from Eton Tractor in Eton GA. phone # 706-422-8190. If you call him tell George Painter (me) gave you his number. He is a great guy and has helped me more than he had to.
Oh yea the part cost $18.95 plus tax.
Hope giving Eton Tractor a plug here is OK. George

gpaintjr is right. There are several of the same type of relays on the firewall. I've replaced one that had dirt getting into it and cutting off fuel flow. The second one I replaced had the same issue and not allowing power to the GPs.

I don't recall the exact location of which relay does what, but they are located on the firewall and they are all the same type (see my previous post with link to relay).

Highbeam.. If you call Jennings Equipment they can tell you which relay controls power to the GPs. I misplaced my manual and I'm not any where near the tractor at the moment.

/ Preheater controller help #7  
Okay, I'll need to be picking up an oil filter anyway so will ask them.

Darn thing starts great when it's 90 degrees outside.

/ Preheater controller help #8  
It is possible it could be the pre-heater module as well (or both).

I've noticed my GP light on the dash no longer remains off above 60 degrees when I first start the tractor. I believe the manual said it doesn't come on above that. Yeah, sure. Mine does even at 90 degrees. It's use to work.

Whatever is sensing the outside temperature isn't working any longer. I haven't bothered to do anything about it since the GP's are still getting power for the 6-7 seconds after turning the key.

Kioti should to go to a sealed relay. Even though this relay looks like it should stay clean, I've opened two and both had fine dust in them. Blew the dust out and we're good to go. Never thought about electrician tape before now.

Let me know what fixes it.

/ Preheater controller help #9  
My GP indicator lamp has always lit up year round on a cold engine and I always let them cycle even in the summer so that is normal. Even my powerstroke ford diesel runs the GPs in 90 degree weather when the engine is cold.

I'm in a crawlspace for the next few days running sewer line to a new bathroom so haven't run the machine.

/ Preheater controller help #10  
The GP's in the Tractor and the Grid Heater in the ISL come on no matter what the Temp is outside.
Like HB, I let them cycle and then start.
My ISB did the same.
Tom