TBN saves my three day weekend!

/ TBN saves my three day weekend! #1  

1wheeler1

Tractor
CK25HST FEL
As luck would have it my CK25 fuel bowl decided to start leaking at 240 hours right in the middle of my Memorial day projects planned for this weekend. Having no obvious solution I remembered I had read about this being a problem on TBN and started searching the threads for solutions. I came across someone who had the same issue and they said their dealer coated the whole thing with epoxy and it never leaked again. So I headed out to the shop and found a couple of tubes of 30 min epoxy. I washed the bowl with lacquer thinner, roughed up the outside with some fine sandpaper, painter taped bowl holder on, (just in case it wouldn't fit over the epoxy coat) and coated the whole bowl below the flange with a thin coat of epoxy. Installed it an hour or so later when cured and worked it the whole weekend with no leaks.

THANK YOU TBN! for saving my weekend. (and maybe my marriage)

And now today I called the local dealer and they're on backorder. I highly reccommend anybody that has the older style bowl thats prone to cracking to get a spare. They can go at anytime and stop you in your tracks. Worse case scenario, the epoxy coat does work and can save the day. Or in this case my three day weekend and beyond.

/ TBN saves my three day weekend! #2  
Good tip! If you missed out on projects during that super perfect sunny three day weekend then you'd be kicking yourself.

/ TBN saves my three day weekend! #3  
As luck would have it my CK25 fuel bowl decided to start leaking at 240 hours right in the middle of my Memorial day projects planned for this weekend. Having no obvious solution I remembered I had read about this being a problem on TBN and started searching the threads for solutions. I came across someone who had the same issue and they said their dealer coated the whole thing with epoxy and it never leaked again. So I headed out to the shop and found a couple of tubes of 30 min epoxy. I washed the bowl with lacquer thinner, roughed up the outside with some fine sandpaper, painter taped bowl holder on, (just in case it wouldn't fit over the epoxy coat) and coated the whole bowl below the flange with a thin coat of epoxy. Installed it an hour or so later when cured and worked it the whole weekend with no leaks.

THANK YOU TBN! for saving my weekend. (and maybe my marriage)

And now today I called the local dealer and they're on backorder. I highly reccommend anybody that has the older style bowl thats prone to cracking to get a spare. They can go at anytime and stop you in your tracks. Worse case scenario, the epoxy coat does work and can save the day. Or in this case my three day weekend and beyond.

:) I used water-weld back when that happened to me. JB Weld makes it and Walmart carries it. It's like a two part putty. I finally remembered to change to the new filter about a week ago.. I'd imagine it would've held for just about forever.. ha!

/ TBN saves my three day weekend! #4  
What all tractors have the bowls that can leak??? I have a DK 35 2004 build year.

/ TBN saves my three day weekend! #5  
What all tractors have the bowls that can leak??? I have a DK 35 2004 build year.

As I recall it is mostly and issue with the CK 25/30's. I'm sure others will correct that if it's wrong.

/ TBN saves my three day weekend! #6  
I'm lost...what's a "bowl"? I have a CK27 that I bought this year...has 21 hours on it. I'm not overly concerned right now, but I'd like some more info for future reference.

/ TBN saves my three day weekend!
Miramadar,

The fuel bowl is where the diesel fuel filter is located and has the fuel shutoff valve directly above it. The early ck's had some that are made of a clear acrylic like material that seems to get brittle and crack over time. When they're cracked they can leak a lot of diesel. I just picked up my replacement bowl today for $12.00 and like KiotiDave says the new ones are made out of an opaque plastic material that shouldn't crack like the old ones. While at the dealer I took a look at those new CK27's and they're a sharp looking tractor. I like the darker color they went to on the undercarriage. Sure wish I had that new loader, looks to be very stout.

Just FYI - My dealer is also a Kubota dealer and they told me there's a Kubota fuel bowl that can be used in place of the Kioti that exactly the same except it's $34 versus $12.00. They had told me about it due to the backorder of the Kioti bowls the might not have arrived. It may be an option for somebody else that has a bowl leak and a local Kubota dealer although you could probably overnight it from a Kioti dealer and it would still be less that the $34 Kubota bowl.

/ TBN saves my three day weekend! #9  
I'm lost...what's a "bowl"? I have a CK27 that I bought this year...has 21 hours on it. I'm not overly concerned right now, but I'd like some more info for future reference.

The bowl that holds the fuel filter.
FilterBowl.jpg

/ TBN saves my three day weekend! #10  
Ahhh...I understand now. Thanks for the tip guys!