Oil & Fuel Cracked fuel bowl on DK40se

/ Cracked fuel bowl on DK40se #1  

IslandTractor

Super Star Member
Tractor
2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH
By some stroke of luck, I stopped to clean out my radiator screens while mowing a field today and when I popped the hood I was surprised by a spray of fuel. It was obviously coming from the fuel bowl and was not subtle. See photos below. I grabbed a photo and then shut it down. No leak then. I pondered whether to leave the tractor in the field for a week or take a chance driving it home half a mile. Decided to drive as the fuel was spraying against the hood side not the engine side. Got it home OK then took off the fuel bowl. One clearly perforated crack clearly visible but two or three other areas that looked like partial cracks. See photos of empty bowl. I also put in a photo of the amount of fuel leaking as I was driving up the apron of the barn. The "drops" are clearly visible on the apron. I figure I was lucky to have stopped to clean out the radiator screens as I was losing about a cup a minute. At least I found it before I ran out of fuel.

So, I'll ask Rick to UPS me a replacement bowl tomorrow and I'll send him the cracked one in case Kioti wants to see it. My DK40se was delivered in Sept 2007 so is about two years old with 130hrs on it. Thought it would be useful to bring this to DK owners attention as I hadn't heard of this problem before outside the older CK25/30 line.

I'm certainly not a materials scientist and have no idea what this type of linear cracking in three or four different places could be related too. The cracks are an inch or so apart and each one is about an inch long. Only one has perforated. There was no visible damage to the bowl otherwise. All the cracks are on the opposite side from the engine so it doesn't seem heat related. I did have a stick get jammed into the throttle cable area just below the fuel bowl a few weeks ago but I couldn't find any evidence that the stick hit the fuel bowl as it was jammed into the throttle cable terminus and there are no scratch marks on the fuel bowl itself. Also, I've put about 15 hours on the tractor since the stick incident with no leakage and I am pretty sure the leak started while I was simply mowing.

Attachments

• IMG_0295smallfile2009.jpg
    IMG_0295smallfile2009.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0303smallfile2009.jpg
    IMG_0303smallfile2009.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0298smallfile2009.jpg
    IMG_0298smallfile2009.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 161
   / Cracked fuel bowl on DK40se #2  
It was not just a CK issue, the DK models had the problem as well.
If you have a clear fuel bowl chances are very high that is will crack (it happened to my DK 35 twice). The new fuel bowls that are supposed to stop this cracking issue are white.

/ Cracked fuel bowl on DK40se #3  
I look at the picture, you have the clear one.
As I've said before, I got some "water-weld" from wally-world and put it on the inside and used it for at least 6 months that way.. I kept forgetting to change it. Some sort of brain block I guess..

/ Cracked fuel bowl on DK40se
Thanks for the clarification guys. I somehow thought this problem was only seen in the older CKs. Guess not.

/ Cracked fuel bowl on DK40se #5  
Pretty much off topic but do you shut the engine off when cleaning the junk out of your screens? I tried leaving the engine running and it just sucked the junk right into the radiator as I removed the screens. Shutting it off isn't nice to a hot engine either so I didn't know what you did.

My clear fuel bowl hasn't cracked yet after 800 hours.

/ Cracked fuel bowl on DK40se #6  
Highbeam,

That's what I was thinking at 240 hours and then Memorial Day weekend it went. I'd get a spare for probably less then $20 with shipping. I know Jennings just got some in that were on backorder.

1wheeler1

/ Cracked fuel bowl on DK40se #7  
Pretty much off topic but do you shut the engine off when cleaning the junk out of your screens? I tried leaving the engine running and it just sucked the junk right into the radiator as I removed the screens. Shutting it off isn't nice to a hot engine either so I didn't know what you did.

My clear fuel bowl hasn't cracked yet after 800 hours.

Oh man!! You shouldn't have said that out loud! Might as well order one now.. :)

/ Cracked fuel bowl on DK40se #8  
Mine cracked the first week I had the tractor, that was almost a year ago now.

/ Cracked fuel bowl on DK40se #9  
Thanks for the heads up on the fuel bowl issue.I just checked my 2008 Dk40se and all is well with the (Clear)fuel bowl.I have around 116 hours on my tractor.coobie

/ Cracked fuel bowl on DK40se #10  
Thanks for the heads up on the fuel bowl issue.I just checked my 2008 Dk40se and all is well with the (Clear)fuel bowl.I have around 116 hours on my tractor.coobie
My advice is, Buy the new style white for a spare (they cost around $10) . That clear bowl will eventually crack.