50 Hour Service

/ 50 Hour Service #1  

jdun

Tractor
Kioti CK 30 HST
Just completed the 50 hour service on my CK30 HST. Everything went well but I'd like to offer the following tips for anyone else who may do it.

This may be a no-brainer for experienced hands but newbies like me should remember to remove the backhoe for an easier service. The transmission filter is a real pain with the hoe frame in the way. I removed a linkage rod to get the filter off but some expletives were heard. It would also be easier to fill the reservoir without the hoe in the way. Also remember to get a long flex funnel to make the fill easier.

For the front axle fluid drain you need smaller trays than the standard oil dump pans you find in the auto parts stores for changing oil. Or you could use ramps or jack up the front end. I had 2 gallons of tractor fluid left so I put it in the axle since I didn't have 90W gear oil. I plan on putting in the 90W when I do the 100 hour service. Used Rotella HD Tractor fluid and oil for the procedures.

There was a lot of metal in the drain fluid and on the magnet. 50 hr. service is definitely necessary.

Other than that the service is pretty straight-forward. I do have the Workshop Manual and it is well worth it. I would suggest it for anyone who has the CK since it is much more detailed than the standard owners manual.

/ 50 Hour Service #2  
Good tips. The only thing I would add is have plenty of rags to mop the spills and take your time.

Warhammer

Just completed the 50 hour service on my CK30 HST. Everything went well but I'd like to offer the following tips for anyone else who may do it.

This may be a no-brainer for experienced hands but newbies like me should remember to remove the backhoe for an easier service. The transmission filter is a real pain with the hoe frame in the way. I removed a linkage rod to get the filter off but some expletives were heard. It would also be easier to fill the reservoir without the hoe in the way. Also remember to get a long flex funnel to make the fill easier.

For the front axle fluid drain you need smaller trays than the standard oil dump pans you find in the auto parts stores for changing oil. Or you could use ramps or jack up the front end. I had 2 gallons of tractor fluid left so I put it in the axle since I didn't have 90W gear oil. I plan on putting in the 90W when I do the 100 hour service. Used Rotella HD Tractor fluid and oil for the procedures.

There was a lot of metal in the drain fluid and on the magnet. 50 hr. service is definitely necessary.

Other than that the service is pretty straight-forward. I do have the Workshop Manual and it is well worth it. I would suggest it for anyone who has the CK since it is much more detailed than the standard owners manual.

/ 50 Hour Service #3  
The other point that I learned in doing the 50hr myself on my CK20 and then my DK40se was to double check that you have the correct filter wrenches before you start. There are some tight spaces down there and different sized filters so check it out before you start. I found a couple of different types of filter wrenches were necessary. One is the long skinny curved pliers type and the other was one of the ratchet types with a flexible adjustable strap. Those filters come from the factory pretty well attached and are difficult to get off without the appropriate wrench and leverage.

/ 50 Hour Service #4  
The other point that I learned in doing the 50hr myself on my CK20 and then my DK40se was to double check that you have the correct filter wrenches before you start. There are some tight spaces down there and different sized filters so check it out before you start. I found a couple of different types of filter wrenches were necessary. One is the long skinny curved pliers type and the other was one of the ratchet types with a flexible adjustable strap. Those filters come from the factory pretty well attached and are difficult to get off without the appropriate wrench and leverage.

I snapped my filter "socket" wrench the last time I did my oil filter. Darn thing won't give me any room to get my other wrench on to turn it with. I don't see how you could use the plier types on there and get any more than a 1/8th turn (without banging into something breakable)

/ 50 Hour Service #5  
I don't see how you could use the plier types on there and get any more than a 1/8th turn (without banging into something breakable)

I don't remember right now which filter wrench I used on which filter. I definitely used the strap type that grips the filter tighter as you turn it for at least one filter. The rest as I recall I got with the pliers type. And yes, there is very little room to manuver but you only need to get that first 1/4 turn with the wrench then you can spin it off.