Oil & Fuel CK20 Fuel Tank questions

/ CK20 Fuel Tank questions #1  

KiotiAcres

Hi all,

CK20 with roughly 80 hrs. I've changed my fuel filter roughly 4 times in the life of the machine, and prior to this last change was noting some fuel delivery issues.

Quite the surprise when I pulled the filter. It was completely covered in what looked like red clay, and had collapsed in on itself (I assume from the pump working overtime). In reaching in to the fuel tank I noticed this substance on the interior of the tank.

I get my fuel from both an onsite tank which runs through two fine filters, and/or the pump (road not ag diesel). At one point in the past, when refueling I remembered seeing what looked like almost a thin coating coming off of the interior of the tank. I wrote it off as a little bit of bad fuel, but now I'm wondering.

Let's assume someone did not dump a cup of clay/soil in my tank. Does the tank have a coating on the interior, that could have dissolved and turned into this substance? Any other thoughts?

/ CK20 Fuel Tank questions #2  
Wow! 4 filters in only 80 hours! There is something definitely wrong. If you suspect the tank, at only 80 hours, I'd be taking it to the dealer for consideration of a new tank. And I'd be careful where I bought my diesel from too.

/ CK20 Fuel Tank questions
The frequent changes speak more to me feeling that fuel filters are cheap, and I often will change as I'm doing other service to the tractor. The need to change them has only been twice.

/ CK20 Fuel Tank questions #4  
Wow..even twice in 80 hours seems a bit much. Like the prior post, I would check out where you are getting the fuel from. I have 275 hrs on my ck30 and I am on my third filter and I only changed it recently because the fuel bowl cracked. If you are getting dirt in your tank, I am scared to see your air filter. good luck.

aloha
joe

/ CK20 Fuel Tank questions #5  
I've got 300 hrs on my 3054, and haven't changed the fuel filter yet. I do all other maintenance religously, but can't see changing out the fuel filter unless there appears to be a problem. I realize the filters are cheap, as I have two sitting on the shelf, but this one looks as clean(through the bowl)as when it was delivered, so just can't convince myself to do it :confused: Is there any good reason to change out a fuel filter when it is doing its' job admirably, with no sign of contamination :confused::confused:

/ CK20 Fuel Tank questions #6  
My CK25 manual says to clean as needed and change at 300 hours. That is what I did, but it was never really all that dirty. Guess it depends on your source of fuel (and quality of tank lining:confused:).

/ CK20 Fuel Tank questions #7  
I changed my first filter at 200 hours on my CK30 just because I was doing other service. The original one was very clean. I have been using road diesel mostly.
I've read that diesel can grow algae and it can grow on the side of the tank. I've never seen it to know what color it is. Maybe another member can shed some light on what the algae looks like.

/ CK20 Fuel Tank questions #9  
There is an interesting site that discusses this problem in detail check out
Diesel Fuel "Algae" Causes & Effects - Fourwinds Enterprises .
They claim it all wax and sludge. Time for an additive?

Interesting site. I happen to be a chemist, and it all made reasonably good sense until the last line: "ALGAE-X stops and reverses this process by impacting these clusters of molecules with inductive energy." Pure you-know-what. The stuff may work, but not by that mechanism. -Which, to me, makes the whole proposition suspect.

I always use preservative in tanked gas for my 2- and 4-stroke yard equipment. Not at all clear what it does - antioxidant? radical-chain scavenger? - but people swear by it. On the recommendations of several trusted dealers and repair shops, I now leave machines with full tanks between seasons - that's nine months for the snow- and leaf-blowers, at least six for mower and string trimmer. No clogging noticed in a decade or so.

But lots of credible people have told me that diesel fuel is stable enough for a 50-hour-a-year tractor owner to ignore polymerization. I've never seen any gum on fuel filters (replaced them anyway, what the heck). I'm wondering if the problem is with condensation when partly empty tanks breathe (a good reason to leave the tank full, IMO) leading to corrosion, microbial growth, or who-knows-what. Bugs will grow anywhere there's water and food, and diesel oil and additives are good food for some bugs.

Not ready to worry about it yet, but open to suggestions that will keep the beast happy for many more years-

Chelydra

/ CK20 Fuel Tank questions #10  
I have about 160 hours on my CK-20 and have not changed the fuel filter yet or noticed anything like what you suggest. The tractor is now 2 years old, so it will have a tank sit for months at a time without refilling.

Is it possible something else got into your tank, even some joker pulling a prank? I'd be the first to kick them in the hind end if so, but I can't see the inside of a tank producing that much sludge.

Jon