3930 transmission overheating

/ 3930 transmission overheating #1  

professor

Gold Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers 416S John Deere LX280, John Deere Z225 zero turn yanmar 1401 , Oliver 550 Special, Oliver 75 Lawn Tractor, New Holland 3930 4WD, Mitsubishi BDF2 Dozer
Yesterday I was cutting thick blackberry brambles and thick weeds and I noticed the transmission/hydraulics overheating. Oil levels were fine. It has a remote valve controled by one lever. It appears the lever has three positions up/float/down. I know if the lever is left up the oil could deadhead and cause heat build up. The lever was in the down position and I am wondering if this could cause deadheading too. By the way the rotary cutter is a 3-point model and there was nothing hooked to the remote. Do any of you have other suggestions as to what would make it over heat and what damage could the overheating cause? Thanks for any help you can give. The tractor has 970 hrs. on it.

Last edited:
   / 3930 transmission overheating #2  
I don't know about the New Holland tractors, but I've read several posts concerning questions about transmission heat on hydro trans. Is yours a hydro? If so, make sure the hydro cooling fan is working. If everything is working correctly, it might just be normal heat build-up after several hours or heavy use. Many owners have questioned the amount of heat hydros seem to have, but most responses say it is normal for hydros to have more heat build-up that gear trans. You might do a search on this subject to get a better idea of what I'm referring to.

Best of luck, let us know what you find out.

/ 3930 transmission overheating #3  
I know on Kioti's the remote lever will flow one way with it up and another way if its down, so in othiller words it will deadhead in either dirrection. I recently made a loop out of 18" hydraulic hose and attached it to both sides of the remote so that if the lever is accidentaly put in either position the fluid will just flow and not deadhead. The Kioti's will heat up very fast if the remote is dead headed. I have a DK45SE and the trans will get hotter then I care for it to be while bush hogging.