Rear hydraulic remote deadhead safety...cheap and not so cheap

/ Rear hydraulic remote deadhead safety...cheap and not so cheap #1  

IslandTractor

Super Star Member
Tractor
2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH
I decided one morning to get a small loop of hydraulic hose to keep permanently in the rear remote I use for my backhoe when it is not mounted. Although I don't think it is that common, the consequences of inadvertently leaving the remote engaged in a "dead head" configuration and the hassle and expense of repairs finally induced action. I went to the local hydraulic shop with a diagram for a neat little loop that stayed out of harms way but allowed hydraulic flow. I used 3/8 hose to 90 degree adapters (to keep the hose from sticking out the back too far) and then just about 8 or 10 inches of hose all connected to Pioneer male fittings. The good news is that it works perfectly and is very neat. The bad news is that I got reamed by the hydraulic shop ($70) and I even supplied the hose. I failed to ask if they had a minimum labor charge. I just love living in a big city.:eek:

The good news for you guys who might be considering this is that the parts necessary to put this together yourself can be had for about $25 from Surplus Supply. I have included a photo/screen shot of what I should have ordered from them earlier. It would take about ten minutes to assemble with a little teflon tape/paste. Just make sure that when you tighten the last 90 degree coupler that it is facing the same way as the other one to minimize twist on the hose when connected.

Attachments

• remote loop safety1.jpg
    remote loop safety1.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 379
  • Caroni flail rear roller7.jpg
    Caroni flail rear roller7.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 382
  • remote loop safety4.jpg
    remote loop safety4.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 289
  • remote loop safety5.jpg
    remote loop safety5.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 309
   / Rear hydraulic remote deadhead safety...cheap and not so cheap #2  
What were you using before this ?

If this is 'beyond' your valve, it's not needed.

/ Rear hydraulic remote deadhead safety...cheap and not so cheap
What were you using before this ?

If this is 'beyond' your valve, it's not needed.

I did not explain. The second remote on my machine is not spring loaded. It is possible to activate it accidentally or more likely to forget to put it into the off position after disconnecting the backhoe. If the valve is active/on and there is no flow through the remote, the pump can overheat and be damaged. Adding a loop allows flow which dissipates the heat.

/ Rear hydraulic remote deadhead safety...cheap and not so cheap #4  
OK, I got confused when you said "deadhead" which can't happen down steam of a valve beings 99% of all valves that we would use has a relief built into it.

But you knew that.

/ Rear hydraulic remote deadhead safety...cheap and not so cheap #5  
Curious, a valve that don't return isn't that common, did you convert it to a 'non return to center' setup or did you order it that way ?

/ Rear hydraulic remote deadhead safety...cheap and not so cheap #6  
I hate to repeat this, but always get an estimate, so at least you have a chance to check out another shop. I think that was a total rip off. It probably took him 20 min to crimp and put the QD's on. Sad indeed. You should let them know they wont get any more business from you, and that you will let all your friends know about their habits.

/ Rear hydraulic remote deadhead safety...cheap and not so cheap #7  
Well at least they used nice strain reliefs. Nice job. Now you need to a paint that ugly blue cylinder! It's blemish on your pretty orange tractor:D,

/ Rear hydraulic remote deadhead safety...cheap and not so cheap #8  
Are those really crimped fittings?

The ones on the long hoses in the first picture are definitely crimp on, the ones on the loop with the very thick, grooved body do not look crimped on to me, look more like the thread on kind.

/ Rear hydraulic remote deadhead safety...cheap and not so cheap
Well at least they used nice strain reliefs. Nice job. Now you need to a paint that ugly blue cylinder! It's blemish on your pretty orange tractor:D,

It's bent too. A little too aggressive with the boxblade one day.:eek: