Tires Quick question: Will industrial tires tear up your lawn?

/ Quick question: Will industrial tires tear up your lawn? #1  

JonKioti

Silver Member
Tractor
CK-20S HST
Hi all,

I've traded my CK-20 for a brand new CK-20S. I'll be getting the newer Kioti backhoe in the process.

I've had the calcium filled turf tires for the last two years; I'm not mowing the lawn with the tractor but I do cross it from time to time.

I have the choice for either industrial or turf tires with my new one which will be setup tomorrow (Saturday) or Monday. I haven't had much traction issues with the turfs, but I was wondering if I go with the industrial tires (also calcium filled) will I notice much lawn damage?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Jon

/ Quick question: Will industrial tires tear up your lawn? #2  
Well, you are going to get a lot of differing opinions and there have been countless threads on this matter. Do a brief search with the search feature above and you will have enough reading for bedtime for a long time.

In a nutshell?

Turfs protect grass the best. R4's and R1's are fine for crossing a lawn that is reasonably dry. You can mark up a lawn with anything. Keep it out of 4 wheel drive (what would you want 4 wheel on grass for anyhow?) and don't spin the steering wheel while not moving, and avoid having a bucket load and turning the wheels.

Finally, the differences in grass types, soil types and root systems makes stating absolutes impossible, but GENERALLY, follow the above and you can choose more aggressive tires for other uses and safely cross your lawn unless it is a time when nothing should be on the lawn.

/ Quick question: Will industrial tires tear up your lawn? #3  
Hi all,

I've traded my CK-20 for a brand new CK-20S. I'll be getting the newer Kioti backhoe in the process.

I've had the calcium filled turf tires for the last two years; I'm not mowing the lawn with the tractor but I do cross it from time to time.

I have the choice for either industrial or turf tires with my new one which will be setup tomorrow (Saturday) or Monday. I haven't had much traction issues with the turfs, but I was wondering if I go with the industrial tires (also calcium filled) will I notice much lawn damage?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Jon
Since you are not mowing the yard with it I would have gotten R1s.

/ Quick question: Will industrial tires tear up your lawn? #4  
I had borrowed a friends tractor once and it had turf tires. They are definately easy on the lawn. My old Ford 8n had R1, ag tread tires, and it would make the tread marks and they're narrower than the other two. My Ck30hst has the R4, industrial tires. Width is comparable to turf tires. They will leave tread marks when the ground is soft like after a good rain but then my gound has a lot of clay in it. On dry grass/lawn, my industrials do fine and hardly leave a noticeable mark. If you would have the ground and grass equal for the test, turf would most likely win for grass preservation. Industrial, I believe, have a slight higher load rating. If the turfs worked good for you before, then stick with them. If you need a little bit more traction and are willing to have some small marks in the lawn when it is wet, go for the industrial tires. Good luck in the choice.

/ Quick question: Will industrial tires tear up your lawn? #5  
with the backhoe I would seriously consider the R4"s

/ Quick question: Will industrial tires tear up your lawn? #6  
my "turf" is mostly clover and perennial ryegrass on clay/silty loam.
my industrials will leave a noticeable dent if I drive on it after a heavy or lingering rain, but the ground springs back after a couple of weeks.
otherwise, no problems - and my tractor weighs significantly more than yours.
with the BH, I'd go with the R4 tires, they'll last longer.

/ Quick question: Will industrial tires tear up your lawn? #7  
I like the R4's.

I would expect if you plan to do any loader work the R4's will give you a little more traction than turf on soil.

Joel

/ Quick question: Will industrial tires tear up your lawn?
Thanks everyone for giving me a better feel for this. I will go with the "industrial" tires and go easy when I'm on the grass. It's mostly pretty hard soil, and I'm plowing snow 4-6 months of the year anyway.

Thanks,

Jon

/ Quick question: Will industrial tires tear up your lawn? #9  
JonKioti

as a visitor from the green side
i have a old farm corn field backhalf and new fill(clay/loam) fronthalf
only an acre
a 2210 with R-4's FEL and backhoe
on a wet day less than a one cm depression
no problems with hills and traction
no problems with the blower and snow
no scuffing when turning
I mow weekly
for me the answer is "no"

todd k

/ Quick question: Will industrial tires tear up your lawn?
Thanks Todd -

Cheers,

Jon