Checking the Hydraulic Fluid DK40SE HST

/ Checking the Hydraulic Fluid DK40SE HST #1  

CowwFace

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE HST, 401FEL, RB40-96 pivoting Rear Blade
Hey List,

In the manual it seems that one should check their hydraulic fluid level with the engine OFF... but with the fluid warm.. am I reading this right?

After all the years of checking auto transmission fluid in the cars with the engine running... I just wanted to make sure I was reading the Kioti manual correctly... engine OFF?

Thanks,
Phill

/ Checking the Hydraulic Fluid DK40SE HST #2  
I've generally done it with the engine off. No reason other than I check it while greasing the tractor and I do that cold.

/ Checking the Hydraulic Fluid DK40SE HST #3  
I usually check mine while off and cold because I've checked it while warm and notice no difference in the level versus cold. It's just easier to do it then while doing my pre-use walk around.

One other note: My DK45HST manual is incomplete, inaccurate and contradictory in several places. If something doesn't make sense or look just right in the manual, I'd suggest talking with your dealer or others on here.....just like you did.:)

/ Checking the Hydraulic Fluid DK40SE HST #4  
Check with the engine off so the oil is not moving. Always use the double dip method. Pull the stick, wipe, then dip and read. There can be an air pocket in the stem that will give an inaccurate reading if you don't "double-dip".

/ Checking the Hydraulic Fluid DK40SE HST
Thanks Guys,

Engine off it is! I'm comming up on my 40hr service, and I'm at the lower notch on the dipstick.. don't want to add fluid just to drain it out in a week or two.

Phill

/ Checking the Hydraulic Fluid DK40SE HST #6  
The tractor being in a level condition is going to be pretty important.

/ Checking the Hydraulic Fluid DK40SE HST #7  
Thanks Guys,

Engine off it is! I'm comming up on my 40hr service, and I'm at the lower notch on the dipstick.. don't want to add fluid just to drain it out in a week or two.

Phill

I'm wondering why it would be low at all after 40 hours or at any time unless there is a leak. Any chance of that?

/ Checking the Hydraulic Fluid DK40SE HST
I'm wondering why it would be low at all after 40 hours or at any time unless there is a leak. Any chance of that?

Hey RegMan,

Thanks for your replay.. I'm a bit slow on my responce I'd say!!! But I think it's a bit low b/c I added the tilt cylinder.. So the empty 3" cyl and hoses had to be filled with fluid. I don't see any signs of a leak.. but believe me I'm watching.

Phill

/ Checking the Hydraulic Fluid DK40SE HST #9  
Hey RegMan,

Thanks for your replay.. I'm a bit slow on my responce I'd say!!! But I think it's a bit low b/c I added the tilt cylinder.. So the empty 3" cyl and hoses had to be filled with fluid. I don't see any signs of a leak.. but believe me I'm watching.

Phill

The most you would be pouring in would be approx. 1 gallon. You should get it up off the bottom line as that oil is also used for lubricating the gears.:thumbsup: