Cold starts

/ Cold starts #1  

capt jack

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota M105,B21,Cat D6B
When starting My Kioti DK55 on a cold errrrr cool day 30-40 degrees (hey this is Texas) I cycle the glow plugs, it starts on the first revaloution runs for 3-5 seconds then dies. Cycle the glow plugs again starts again, dies again, on the 3rd try most times it starts and runs fine. This is a 2005 model with 530 hrs. The old gent I bought it from said it might be "cold natured". It started and ran fine all summer and fall, the fuel is clean and fresh, 30-40 degrees ain't that cold, any ideas here?
Jack

Last edited:
   / Cold starts #2  
I have experienced the same problem indeterminately, try to start only cranks no smoke after a few tries it starts so I disconnected the fuel shut off on the injector pump so far its started every time, when it gets warmer I will check the timer and the key switch but for now I use the manual shut off.
If the glow plug light goes on then shut off like it should take a voltage reading at the glow plugs, if no voltage then the glow plug relay is the problem.
If you have voltage then I would disconnect each glow plug and check with a OHM meter and replace as needed.

/ Cold starts #3  
For cold starting here in New Hampshire, I cycle the glow plugs, and then after the engine catches, I back the key off just a little. This keeps the glow plug indicator on while the engine is running. I hold it in that position for a few seconds until I hear the engine start to smooth out. It takes a little practice, but it works. I have had no problems starting my little CK even at temps below zero.

Another thing you can try is after the glow plug indicator goes off, wait a few seconds and turn the key off and then right back to the glow plug position to cycle them a second time and then start the engine. This might work better for you since you don't get the really cold temps.

Good luck
Jim

/ Cold starts #4  
How long do you let the glow plugs do their job? I understand in really cold weather you keep the key turned on for up to 20-30 seconds before you crank the engine. I've never had any trouble with any of my Kubotas starting but then again they are kept inside a garage. Of course this is assuming the glow plugs are good. With a little over 500 hours I would think they would be.

/ Cold starts #5  
Cycling the glow plugs 1 time should be enough for 30-40 degrees.
Your tractor is starting right up, then it dies again.
I don't think glow plugs is the problem.

/ Cold starts #6  
I tend to agree with DK35Vince, and I would ask additionally: what is the condition of your fuel filter and such? When did you last change your fuel and other filters? What fuel are you running- is it 'cut' (any additives?).
I could also be a bad glow plug or two, but I'd want to know answer to above questions before assuming anything in particular about the glow system. If perchance it has a block heater I suggest plugging it in and trying to start it after the heater has had time to work. If it starts right up with no problem and the glow lite doesn't even come on, then it is more likely the glow system than a fuel/ fuel filter issue.

/ Cold starts #7  
Jack

something i meant to add to my prior post is that you might want to add some diesel additive to your tank and fuel supply. I started using it year round after my first winter with a diesel and the fuel gelled on a very cold January morning. I know you don't get quite as cold, but the 30 degree range is close enough. I have been using the Power Service product in a white bottle.

Jim