Cold start knock, and Pwr. Steering stiff when cold

/ Cold start knock, and Pwr. Steering stiff when cold #1  

Coyote machine

Tractor
22 SANY SY 50U, '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 BB, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Brush Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy
My DK-35 has 150 hours on it and it seems to be pretty loud when it starts for the first few seconds, and then it quiets down. Is this the nature of the beast, or something else? I'm talking when it has sat overnight in the barn- (currently unheated), or when its sat outside for some time to the point it needs to be glowed to start.
I'm running leftover uncut summer fuel, but have had no issues. I leave it running when I'm using it, (when I break to use the head or whatever) so it won't gel the fuel on me when outside for extended amount of time at night.

Also the power steering is stiff as all get out when I first start it in the morning or after having sat out enough to chill down. It seems strange that the power steering wouldn't be just like any other vehicle- when its turned it should go smoothly unless it was really fridgid? No? Am I missing something?

Thanks to all in advance for your help.

/ Cold start knock, and Pwr. Steering stiff when cold #2  
KIOTI has a boot that can be installed over the steering shaft for the DK35SE to help keep moisture out of the top of the steering valve. The stiffness can be from frozen condensation where the steering shaft enters the top of power steering valve. The boot helps keep moisture away.

Around here, a few of the DK35SE steering shafts can get really stiff until the warm hydraulic oil thaws them out of bit. The boot helps. Boot or no boot, it will free up as soon as the oil warms the steering valve. It has nothing to do with the steering valve itself, it's just the bearing on top of the valve where condensation likes to collect and freeze.

/ Cold start knock, and Pwr. Steering stiff when cold
Hey MIE,
Thanks for the tip! What part # for the boot?
(I bought my BH tooth from you folks and it has been a good tool to have when I need it to grab things!)
Any thoughts on the start-up knock- is it nature of diesel beast or would a winter additive help reduce it on start-up in cold weather?

Thanks again.:)

/ Cold start knock, and Pwr. Steering stiff when cold #4  
I'm certainly no mechanic, but I think the knock is just the nature of a diesel beast when cold.

/ Cold start knock, and Pwr. Steering stiff when cold #5  
I've found the knock on my DK35 can be reduced if I make sure the throttle is at it's lowest setting and I cycle the glow plugs twice if the weather is cold.

/ Cold start knock, and Pwr. Steering stiff when cold #6  
My DK-35 has 150 hours on it and it seems to be pretty loud when it starts for the first few seconds, and then it quiets down. Is this the nature of the beast, or something else? I'm talking when it has sat overnight in the barn- (currently unheated), or when its sat outside for some time to the point it needs to be glowed to start.
Nature of the beast.
My DK 35 does the same thing in cold weather.

/ Cold start knock, and Pwr. Steering stiff when cold #7  
I have always started tractors at the lowest throttle setting, but I read somewhere (maybe in the Kioti manual) to throttle up a bit at the start. What do you think is best?

I have not cranked mine for several days now, it has been cold and dark when I have been home, but I plan to give it a try this weekend.

/ Cold start knock, and Pwr. Steering stiff when cold #8  
When it's really cold, 20"or less, my CK30 would have the same knock for a few seconds. As mentioned, I cycle the glow plugs twice before starting and there isn't any knock. For throttle, I just bump it slightly so when it starts, it's at 1,000 to 1,100 rpm. Also took advice from Vince, we're close and same weather/temps, and use 5W40 Rotella oil.

Last edited:
   / Cold start knock, and Pwr. Steering stiff when cold #9  
When below freezing you must wait 10 minutes for oil to warm up. Put your bucket down to lift weight off front wheels and turn steering wheel slowly I have same problem up here in collingwood Canada when it's minus 40 Celsius ,same as minus 40 Fahrenheit

/ Cold start knock, and Pwr. Steering stiff when cold #10  
Bob [MIE] has got your steering figured out. The noise is normal for a diesel, if you preheat longer it will be less as all cylinders will be hitting at the right time. The knock is cold misfire. Anyway when it is really cold don't bring them off of idle right away, let the oil get circulating and a little warmed up before bumping the idle up. I will let mine warm up 10+ minutes before moving then run at half throttle for 5 min or so. The colder the longer warm up time. We had 21 deg F below here and it was cranky starting. I will have the block heater installed next year. CJ