Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

Default Cold start knock, and Pwr. Steering stiff when cold

My DK-35 has 150 hours on it and it seems to be pretty loud when it starts for the first few seconds, and then it quiets down. Is this the nature of the beast, or something else? I'm talking when it has sat overnight in the barn- (currently unheated), or when its sat outside for some time to the point it needs to be glowed to start.
    I'm running leftover uncut summer fuel, but have had no issues. I leave it running when I'm using it, (when I break to use the head or whatever) so it won't gel the fuel on me when outside for extended amount of time at night.

Also the power steering is stiff as all get out when I first start it in the morning or after having sat out enough to chill down. It seems strange that the power steering wouldn't be just like any other vehicle- when its turned it should go smoothly unless it was really fridgid? No? Am I missing something?

Thanks to all in advance for your help.
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains. Samuri Sickle bar.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Silver Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Full line of KIOTI Tractors, BEFCO and Worksaver Implements

Default Re: Cold start knock, and Pwr. Steering stiff when cold

KIOTI has a boot that can be installed over the steering shaft for the DK35SE to help keep moisture out of the top of the steering valve. The stiffness can be from frozen condensation where the steering shaft enters the top of power steering valve. The boot helps keep moisture away.

Around here, a few of the DK35SE steering shafts can get really stiff until the warm hydraulic oil thaws them out of bit. The boot helps. Boot or no boot, it will free up as soon as the oil warms the steering valve. It has nothing to do with the steering valve itself, it's just the bearing on top of the valve where condensation likes to collect and freeze.
    Michigan Iron and Equipment, LLC
    www.michironandequip.com

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

Hey MIE,
    Thanks for the tip! What part # for the boot?
    (I bought my BH tooth from you folks and it has been a good tool to have when I need it to grab things!)
    Any thoughts on the start-up knock- is it nature of diesel beast or would a winter additive help reduce it on start-up in cold weather?

Thanks again.
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains. Samuri Sickle bar.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    DK45Se HST

I'm certainly no mechanic, but I think the knock is just the nature of a diesel beast when cold.
    DK45SE HST w/Cab, FEL, KB2485 BH, Markham 60" Grapple, 6' Disk, Woods Finish Mower, 6' box blade, 13Kw PTO Generator

Tractor
    Kioti DK35, Ford 8N, Oliver Cletrac

I've found the knock on my DK35 can be reduced if I make sure the throttle is at it's lowest setting and I cycle the glow plugs twice if the weather is cold.
    I can't control my day but I can control my attitude.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK 35

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote machine View Post
    My DK-35 has 150 hours on it and it seems to be pretty loud when it starts for the first few seconds, and then it quiets down. Is this the nature of the beast, or something else? I'm talking when it has sat overnight in the barn- (currently unheated), or when its sat outside for some time to the point it needs to be glowed to start.
    Nature of the beast.
    My DK 35 does the same thing in cold weather.
    Vince,
    Kioti DK 35
    Hustler Super Z

Tractor
    Kioti CK30

I have always started tractors at the lowest throttle setting, but I read somewhere (maybe in the Kioti manual) to throttle up a bit at the start. What do you think is best?

I have not cranked mine for several days now, it has been cold and dark when I have been home, but I plan to give it a try this weekend.
    Kioti CK30, KL130 FEL with Markham Toothbar, Land Pride 6' Mower, Atlas 6' BB,KK Tiller, KK Bushhog, Chisel Plow, Howse 66" Disc, 7' Spike Tooth, Hollow 300 Seeder

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST

When it's really cold, 20"or less, my CK30 would have the same knock for a few seconds. As mentioned, I cycle the glow plugs twice before starting and there isn't any knock. For throttle, I just bump it slightly so when it starts, it's at 1,000 to 1,100 rpm. Also took advice from Vince, we're close and same weather/temps, and use 5W40 Rotella oil.
    Last edited by VictorW; 01-07-2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: extra info

Tractor
    Jinma 204

When below freezing you must wait 10 minutes for oil to warm up. Put your bucket down to lift weight off front wheels and turn steering wheel slowly I have same problem up here in collingwood Canada when it's minus 40 Celsius ,same as minus 40 Fahrenheit

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    KIOTI DK50 HST

Bob [MIE] has got your steering figured out. The noise is normal for a diesel, if you preheat longer it will be less as all cylinders will be hitting at the right time. The knock is cold misfire. Anyway when it is really cold don't bring them off of idle right away, let the oil get circulating and a little warmed up before bumping the idle up. I will let mine warm up 10+ minutes before moving then run at half throttle for 5 min or so. The colder the longer warm up time. We had 21 deg F below here and it was cranky starting. I will have the block heater installed next year. CJ
    Kioti DK50HST Cab
    401 FEL
    Saws, 338xp,346xp mod,372xp mod, 390xp, Stihl combi 130 trimmer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast