Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default steering trouble

I have a 1987 kioti LB2204. today it stopped steering. the wheels are in a slight turn. I raised the wheels of the ground with the bucket and can just spin the steering wheel either direction to no effect although there does seem to be a slight "catch" when doing it to the left although it isn't much of a catch. when I say "spin" the steering wheel I mean it spins freely, on and on and on to the right and seems to catch briefly when goig back to the right. just took the steering wheel off, it was well attached to the shaft.
    Last edited by downeast; 04-06-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Tractor
    2008 Kioti DK 45 sc

Default Re: steering trouble

Check to see if a tie-rod is broken or power steering belt is broken or if power steering fluid is low.
    Work hard to get it down - play like tomorrow may end!

Small Horse Farm: 12.5 acres: 2008 Kioti Dk 45SC with Cab, FEL, BH, 6' snow blower, 7' back blade, 7' box blade, 6' bush hog, 9"& 14" auger, 8' chain harrow, 4" chipper, sand spreader, 7' landscape rake, 3pt quick attach & coffee holder.

the way the steering wheel spins i'm pretty sure that something has stripped inside.... looking back on it (when it went out) the steering just prior was hard to go right easy to go left.....does anyone know how the hydralic ram in the steering system works for "power assisting"... how is it activated when you turn? the parts diagram doesn't really help

Tractor
    Haven't decided yet......It'll be a Kioti None the less

The gearbox at the base of the column needs replaced or rebuilt.
    Same box as 2554/3054 if I remember correctly.

BTI
    **EARTH FIRST----We'll Clear-cut the other planets LATER**

*******The poster formerly known as Kiohio******

740-753-9242

I'll start tearing into the steering once i get it ino the garage...just have to finish the project thats in that space now then i can start tearing it apart....still not sure how the hyd ram on the steering is actuated....think i might have been working against the ram when i stripped the gears....parts diagram and wokshop manual not helping with the hyd ram questions

Tractor
    Haven't decided yet......It'll be a Kioti None the less

I'm guessing someone has installed an aftermarket power steering on it.
    The factory set-up, as far as I know, did not use a steering cylinder.

BTI
    **EARTH FIRST----We'll Clear-cut the other planets LATER**

*******The poster formerly known as Kiohio******

740-753-9242

oh the joy in dismantling a 22 year old machine.....luckily the designers at kioti decided to make it challenging. to get at steering box you have to take off control panel to get to the fuel tank that you'll have to remove. of course the side panels have to be taken off or at least pried apart and I'm no designer so it wouldn't have occurred to me to run the steering column through the gas tank. that's right the gas tank has a hole in it for the steering column. but I've made it through all that and am now attempting to remove the pitman arm which the parts diagram tells me is attached to the sector shaft but has withstood my attempts thus far to separate. kioti dealer has told me i can't rebuild, that kioti only sells the steering assembly as a whole unit not the parts i might need to replace (for $800).

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

I'd wait till you get it removed and apart before worrying about whether you can rebuild or replace it. If possible you might be able to find a good used one for much less $. Here's hoping.
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains. Samuri Sickle bar.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Tractor
    Kioti LK3054xs TLB, 2004

My 3054 has fully hydraulic steering, I would think if you stripped metal you'd know it as you were stripping it.

Could be a hydraulic valve or seal failure.

Joel
    Joel
    2004 Kioti LK3054XS TLB
    Woods Box Blade
    King Cutter Tiller
    Three Point Snow Blower
    York rake
    60 inch king kutter tiller
    1994 Ford F600 Dump Truck "Kioti Hauler"

Tractor
    Kioti DK35, Ford 8N, Oliver Cletrac

??? Broken knuckle???
    I can't control my day but I can control my attitude.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast