Drove a DK 40, I'm hooked!

/ Drove a DK 40, I'm hooked! #1  

Anonymous Poster

Drove a DK 40, I\'m hooked!

I finally made it to my local dealer yesterday and drove a DK 40. Wow, why didn't you guys tell me how nice these things are?!/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Seriously, this is one nice tractor. The dealer seemed extremely helpful also, but I am going to go back a few times before I buy to get a better feel for that too.

The only bad thing was they didn't have a DK 35 for me to compare it too, as the last one left the lot for a customer's home about 45 minutes before I got there. But after seeing the DK 40 , I think it is definitely worth the extra dollars (for my situation) over the DK 35 just in the extra horsepower and loader capacity.

Now, before I totally commit to this purchase I need some serious TBN help! When I buy this, I want to get all the necessary attachments in one package and get it setup to go from the start. Except for the backhoe, as that is out of the budget for now /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif. This is what I am thinking about buying:

DK 40 with industrial tires
Kioti 1470 FEL
7' Kioti finish mower
6' rotary cutter
59" tiller
6' (7' ?) HD box blade
6' (7' ?) Deluxe grader blade
6' (7' ?) Rock rake
Canopy
Front grill guard

Did I miss anything that you have that is particularly useful? Do I have something in this list you have found that you can live without? I am only looking for opinions based on your personal experience. I understand my situation may be different than yours, but input always helps.

For those of you that use your tractors on hills, how stable do you find the DK 35/40/45? Do you recommend I fill the tires? Surely this will help with the stability, but what are the downsides?

And finally, any observations or advice about anything you think would help me in my decision will be greatly appreciated. With any luck, I'll be joining the Kioti owner ranks within a week!

Thanks all,

/ Drove a DK 40, I'm hooked! #2  
Re: Drove a DK 40, I\'m hooked!

Your list looks surprisingly similar to mine! /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

I had the opposite problem you had. I drove the DK35 and they didn't have a DK40 or DK45 sitting there to try out.

The only thing I'd comment on is make sure the FEL bucket is a heavy duty bucket, and I plan getting a tooth bar for it as well. Also, I don't know the specifications for the Kioti 1470 FEL, but the dealer I spoke with strongly suggested going to the Great Bend loader over the Kioti. He said it had more lifting capacity. I didn't check the price differences, so he may have been pushing GB because of the price, but I don't think so. I think he was being up front with me. So you might want to check out the other loaders the dealer has to offer if lift capacity is a big issue for you. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Good luck with your purchase. I REALLY /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif you! /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Drove a DK 40, I'm hooked! #3  

Hoosier,I don't know if you looked at the tractor reviews,but I just added one on my new DK40.
I have the Kioti fel and like it,I tend to prefer the factory options especially with these tractors,Kioti seems to over build everything and it carries over to those Kioti has contracted to build their implements.
On options:I got the creeper gear,don't know if I needed it,but I like a lots of levers.I also got dual rear remote hydraulic outlets because you never know.
[If anyone wants to save money,I have a complete single remote kit still in the box.]
I just put 40 hours of hard fel work(I should be the poster boy for abusing a new tractor)hauling gravel up a washed-out path from the creek,it is a 90 foot climb and it was stable at all times,even with a full 6' bucket.
I have the R4's and I also got Kioti's 65" tiller(nice).
.........Mike
PS I did'nt load my tires,I used the tiller for ballasts until I made an 800# counter weight(or ballast).
Oh yeah,I did have a problem.....one filament burned out on my rear work light.

/ Drove a DK 40, I'm hooked! #4  

I've got to agree with Mike on both the dual rear remotes, great for top and tilt cylinders backhoes, etc. And the creeper gear is great for tilling and other close in work.

Don't know the exact width of the rear tires but anything bigger than a 6' box blade gets really heavy when full. however the rear blade and the landscape rake in 7' is a plus, as it covers the rear wheels when angled. The 6' versus 7' rear finish mower is nice if you have a lot of obstacles to go around or through. 7' is nicer if the area is wide open.

The only two extras that I would recomend. might be a quick detach system for the loader bucket. great if want to rapidly change from bucket to forks and back. And the other would be a quick hitch system on the 3pt.

/ Drove a DK 40, I'm hooked! #5  

Russ,I don't think you can get the quick detach feature on the 6'bucket,I tried,but they said I could only get it on the 66" bucket so I went with the bigger bucket,now don't tell me you have it on your six footer cause I'll be POed.........Mike

/ Drove a DK 40, I'm hooked! #6  

Nope I'm kickin myself for not getting one. And actually I have a 66" HD bucket. I think I'll make a set of pallet forks and a quick disconnect set up my personal Christmas present this year.

/ Drove a DK 40, I'm hooked! #7  

Actually not sure. But I think that purchase just the attaching plate from some of the companies, then have it welded to your bucket.

/ Drove a DK 40, I'm hooked! #8  

I'm not particularly mechanically inclined, so at this point I don't fully understand how it all works, but the dealer I visited when I test drove the DK35 has a Bobcat kind of system that he has made locally to attach to the FEL. It's the same quick hitch system that Bobcat uses, and so you can use any Bobcat attachment on it - buckets, forks, post hole digger, even a mower. It must work pretty good, because he can't keep it in stock.

/ Drove a DK 40, I'm hooked! #9  

Golfgar,
I got the bobcat style quick attach and bucket on my DK 35.
It was a $500 option.

/ Drove a DK 40, I'm hooked! #10  

A very impresive package you are putting together, I was just a breath away from a new DK-40 when I found a good used DK-45 package. I am not strong on the Kioti loaders. Their "roll back angle" is shallow and I can never carry a full load. If your dealer also sells Bush Hog or Woods loaders, I would compare them. The Kioti quick attach is available with a system that is Skid Steer compatible. I believe ATI makes systems for most loaders that are Skid Steer compatible. I've replaced the Kioti "heavy duty" bucket with a Bobcat bucket. It's truly heavy duty and the long lower lip prevents most spillage.
My DK-45 Hugs the ground like it is glued to it! I do have the tires filled. Have never had a tractor without filled tires. I even have my JD lawnmower tires filled. I live in East Tennessee!
I think you would be happy with a 7' rear blade. Depending on your use, you might even use an 8'.
I would consider a wider tiller. You are only 5 hp short of me and I use a King Kutter 72" with ease. The Kioti tiller is nice, I just didn't think it was worth the extra money.
By the way, my backhoe uses the middle hyd. It is sub-frame mounted. I do think you want a rear Hyd connection though.
They are good tractors and reasonably priced. Good luck.
Ted