High/Low range issue on LB1914

/ High/Low range issue on LB1914 #1  

Dean FZ35

Has anyone encountered a really hard-to-move hi/lo tranny range selector? The older my 1914 gets, the harder it is to move. For moving it rearward, I have to kick it. For forward, i have to get off and yank it with both hands. The arm goes directly into some part of the transmission and it does not appear to have any user adjustments...just straight in. I changed the fluid and filter last week for the 3rd time. Nothing has ever failed so far in this the 9th year (except the hour meter a long time ago).
If any member is familiar with this problem and solution, I would certainly appreciate a response.
Dean

/ High/Low range issue on LB1914 #2  
Have you tried it while rolling a little bit? I'd bet you'll need some fresh internals. Shaft / gears are worn or a bent shift fork. Kicking it isn't going to help things, but I have equipment that "works" like that.

/ High/Low range issue on LB1914 #3  
Have you tried spraying a lubricant into the hole where the shaft enters the transmission case? Maybe start with a penatrating oil (ie PB Blaster) then follow up with some white lithium spray? I've found that I have to lubricate the linkages on my tractor regularly or they become difficult to move.

/ High/Low range issue on LB1914 #4  
Have you tried spraying a lubricant into the hole where the shaft enters the transmission case? Maybe start with a penatrating oil (ie PB Blaster) then follow up with some white lithium spray? I've found that I have to lubricate the linkages on my tractor regularly or they become difficult to move.

I had the same problem on my 1914, it even broke the lever off. Sprayed it with lubricant where it goes into the case and it is working fine now. It has been about 4 years since this has happened.
Jim

/ High/Low range issue on LB1914
Thanks much. Have never tried lubricating it...I use the white lithium spray on several areas of my camper and hitch. I wasn't familiar with BP Blaster but google indicates some NAPA and Big Lots carry it. Will try to pick up a can of it tomorrow.
I will report results after trying the BP/Lithium combo.

Stopped by my Ace on way home today and bought PB Blaster and white lithium spray. First try had no effect; nor 2nd time. Started it up and drove across the field, blasted it a 3rd time (about a third of the can by now) and lo and behold, it started loosening up. Kept working it back and forth...it worked! For nearly 5 years, ever since Katrina, I've been struggling with the hi/lo range and all it needed was lubricating. Gosh am I dumb! I had gotten where I just left it in low range. I rediscovered it even has a center position. It just moves so easily now between the ranges. THANK YOU Josh and Imbrsn for the lube suggestion.
Dean

/ High/Low range issue on LB1914 #8  
I've noticed if you keep it outside this problem is a lot worse. It's been in the barn the past 2 years and everything stays loose. WD-40 works. But the best result I ever had was when I accidentally spilled diesel feul all over the tractor. I couldn't believe how smooth and light all the controls were! If they ever stiffen up I'll have to "accidentally" spill a little more diesel : ) I could move all the levers with 1 finger.

That's right gladehound, my Kioti has never seen the inside of a barn. While coating it with diesel is improbable, we may get oily rain here in south Louisann courtesy of Bayou Polluters Oil Company, better known as BP.
Dean

/ High/Low range issue on LB1914 #10  
I had the same problem on my 1914, it even broke the lever off. Sprayed it with lubricant where it goes into the case and it is working fine now. It has been about 4 years since this has happened.
Jim

I have same problem on my DK35 and broke the shaft off too. How hard is it to replace that shaft, kinda looks like the fender needs to come off to get at it.