DK 40 Feels Very Top Heavy

/ DK 40 Feels Very Top Heavy #1  

JohninCT

Platinum Member
Tractor
Struck Magnatrac 6000, Kioti DK40SE
I'm hoping that it's just me, but figured I'd ask if anyone with a Kioti DK 40 or 45 feels unusually top heavy and prone to rollover? I did have a old larger tire utility/farm type tractor years ago, but most of my more recent tractoring has been on smaller, lower center of gravity tractors and skid steers. I had the rear tires filled with Rimguard which added another 1000 lbs but it still gives me that uneasy feeling when I'm driving it (especially when turning) on anything except really flat ground. I always look out for ruts and holes cause I'm afraid that hitting one will put it over. As a result, I always wear the seat belt Also, with the other tractors and skid steers I felt a little more confident in the roll bar/cage. However, the roll bar on the DK 40 now that I'm really looking at it seems kinda puny and doesn't give me that feeling of confident protection that I felt on the other tractors.

Maybe I'm just more cautious as I've gotten older. Am I just being overly paranoid or does this tractor give others a similar feeling?:confused:

/ DK 40 Feels Very Top Heavy #2  
Hi John----I have a 45 and it does feel a bit tippy. Our farm is hilly and I've been on most of them but with caution. I've been spraying field corn on some of those hills and there are times that it makes me nervous. I have a bigger IH 1066 (145 hp with dual tires on the back) and I can go anywhere with that old beast and feel secure.
The field pictured below does not look that steep but it can get scary clear at the top.

Soybeansplantedinbackfield-1.jpg

/ DK 40 Feels Very Top Heavy #3  
Can you add any rear ballast on the 3pt or is this when you are using a rear implement? I felt very tippy on my LB1914 when I first got it but was surprised that you can actually lift a rear wheel and then it will stop tipping when the front axle contacts the stops. I've actually though about putting a bump stop in there so the front axle does not articulate as far before providing anti tip support. However, since I added some nice rear ballast in addition to filled tires, it has not felt tippy at all. It usually only felt tippy with weight in the bucket.

I was shocked to read on my ROPS that it says "for tractors not exceeding 2000 pounds". My tractor is listed at 2300 pounds without me, the loader, rear implement or balast! seems like they were cutting it close!

/ DK 40 Feels Very Top Heavy #4  
We have really steep hills & ridges here. I had a CK30 before the DK40se & yes the bigger tires raise the COG & it does feel a little more unstable. However the footprint width is larger which offsets the extra height. Unless I am in my flat bottomland pasture always wear my belt.
I think you just need to re-calibrate your scchhpinkt-o-meter..............;>!

RD

/ DK 40 Feels Very Top Heavy #5  
i bought a dk55 in 2007, i was use to a ford 3600. when i 1st started using th dk55 it felt tippy as well, thats because the operators station is so high off the ground compared to the old ford. it took a while for me to get use to it, and i did, it handles hill sides very well. takes time to get use to it.

/ DK 40 Feels Very Top Heavy #6  
I have an inclinometer mounted on my dash/window. I try not to push it beyond 15 degrees.
If I do I get a little nervous. I also keep bucket close to the ground. If it start to go you can drop bucket to help stabilize.

Cheers.

lloyd