CK20S HST Questions

/ CK20S HST Questions #1  

TommyBoy77

Hi All,

This is my first post after lurking here for a while. I am looking at buying a tractor for my property (~2 acres) for property clean up/maintenance, snow removal, gardening and grass cutting.

After reading on here and visiting a few local dealers I am very impressed with Kioti tractors. They just seem more beefy in the axles and steering components of other comparable tractors and offer a bunch nice features. Optional features seem reasonably priced compared to other tractors($350 for mid PTO) and the overall price. The CK20S seems like the best choice for my needs, it does seem a little large but I think over sized is better than under sized. I currently have a Craftsman Tractor which is good for cutting grass but that seems about it.

I do have a few question about some attachments for the tractor.
1) The Kioti dealer said that there isn't a MMM right now for the tractor from Kioti but he was pretty sure the Bob Cat 54" MMM should fit. Has anyone mounted a Bob Cat MMM to a Kioti? If so did you have to order a special kit to mount it?

2) Has anyone used a Bob Cat MMM? Are they any good? Any issues?

3) Has anyone seen a front mount snow blower on a CK20? My dad has one on his Kubota BX, so much nicer than looking over you shoulder.

That all I have for now but I am sure I will think of a few more.

Thanks
Dan

/ CK20S HST Questions #2  
Rick Wallace of Wallace Tractor is the person you probably need to talk to. I'm sure he'd reply to a PM even if he isn't reading this forum as much as he used to. If you've been lurking for a while you probably know Rick was a dedicated Kioti dealer who very recently switched colors and now sells the Bobcat tractor line. I'm quite sure he would be able to answer your questions. You might also post a similar question on the Bobcat forum as he's probably reading those posts regularly now.

For what it's worth, you might search on MMM vs RFM or flail as a topic here. It has been discussed a number of times. There are some advantages to a MMM in specific situations but there are pretty good reasons why they are not seen on most CUTs of CK20 size and larger. For me the bottom line is that if I needed a dedicated mower primarily I would look first at the Kubota B series due to their light weight. I love the CK20 but my own bias is that it is more of a multipurpose field machine rather than a lawn mower so the MMM just seems out of place and less flexible than the other alternatives.

I too moved from a Craftsman riding mower to the CK20 as my first tractor. I was mostly interested in bush hogging so I got used to the 3PT hitch with a bush hog before I was ready to buy a finish mower. At that time the Kioti MMM was almost twice the price of a good RFM so I didn't even consider the MMM seriously. Don't choose the MMM just because it feels more familiar. There are a few good reasons to have a MMM but unfamiliarity with 3PT hitch mounted rear implements is not one of them.

/ CK20S HST Questions #3  
Hi Dan,

I have my second CK-20S now. I originally planned on getting the MMM but decided to keep my White brand 17 hp ride on mower. As Island says, the CK-20 is a bit big for mowing. Also, it is likely you will want to fill your tires with ballast of some sort; this will make some degree of impression on your lawn.

One thing to consider is the cost of the MMM. For that cost, as well as the mid-PTO, you can buy a very good zero turn ride on mower. Should I want to replace my 12 year old White, this is what I'd do.

Also, I use the CK-20S for snowclearing. I have a front mounted 72" snowblade with power angle and power lift from Michigan Iron, and a 54" blower on the back. Last year I used the blower only once. Considering the cost of mounting it on the front doubled the cost of the blower, the rear mounted one is well worth turning a bit in the seat. Driving it backwards is not hard at all; you just turn in the seat 90 degrees and look to your right.

Also, my father has the Kuboda 1750 with the front mounted snowblower. I've used both his and mine. One big difference is the rear mounted blower on mine can be used without ear protection as it is very quiet. I take my hearing protection seriously, so this can tell you something about how quiet it is.

A blade on the front and blower on the back is a very handy combination. I look after about a 1/2 mile of driveway all together, and the blade is fast and efficient for 90% of the snowfalls. Nothing will stop the blower, and I have yet to clog it. The combined price of blade and rear blower was about the cost of the front mounted blower. Are you getting the picture here? :)

Please do not hesitate to PM me if you would like further information; I was in your position not too long ago with similar needs and questions.

Cheers,

Jon

/ CK20S HST Questions
Thanks Island, I will send Rick a PM.

As for the MMM vs RFM I have done a bunch of reading and I am leaning towards the MMM for two reasons 1) I have about 25 fruit trees and about another 25 random trees that are all spaced quite poorly and I would be afraid of smashing the mower behind the tractor. This isn't to say a few years down the road I might change my mind. 2) I have a cyclone rake and I do like how it works so I would be interested in seeing if I could get to fit the tractor. If it doesn't work on the CK20 I'm sure it will work on my dads Kubota (well it's his anyway I just adopted it when he got his Kubota)

Thanks
Dan

/ CK20S HST Questions #5  
1) I have about 25 fruit trees and about another 25 random trees that are all spaced quite poorly and I would be afraid of smashing the mower behind the tractor.

That is one of the reasons to go with a MMM or a short mower like a flail. Lots of orchards use flails for exactly this manuverability reason.

/ CK20S HST Questions #6  
Hi, i have the ck20 and have the bobcat midmount mower 54inch on mine. i love the deck and in my opinion is very well built. mounts up fine and lifts high enough to do anything youd want with a mower deck on. grass looks great and the discharge flap is rubber so you will never break it, i have alot of trees also and a plastic one would be gone in a day. it mounts up exactly as if it was made for it. i dont know what the bobcat loader plates look like but must be the same as the kioti ones, as this is one of the atachment points.