Ck-20 brush cutting

/ Ck-20 brush cutting #21  
I'm in agreement with the majority here. R4, 48" bush hog, chain saw or FEL/grapple for anything over two inches. No worries about punctures.

I cleared about five acres of land that had lots of small trees and tons of thick brush. I started with a Craftsman rider (duh), quickly moved to a DR mower (fine but slow and lots more work) then to a CK20 with 48" Bush Hog Squealer. That last setup was very efficient and handled all the brush. I did take out trees with either chain saw or grapple though.

I'd also suggest opting for a slip clutch on the bush hog. You can get an aftermarket one from AgriSupply for about $75. Much more convenient than trying to change out shear bolts in the field.

Photos show one area I cleaned up with the CK20/bush hog/grapple/bh. Last photo is what it looked like after all bush hogging and most stumps were removed.

Attachments

• 1 IMG_0807 lower land brush before clearing.JPG
    1 IMG_0807 lower land brush before clearing.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 122
  • 2 IMG_0168 Start.JPG
    2 IMG_0168 Start.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 4 IMG_0813 lower land brush during clearing.JPG
    4 IMG_0813 lower land brush during clearing.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3056 after stumps removed.JPG
    IMG_3056 after stumps removed.JPG
    482.5 KB · Views: 137
   / Ck-20 brush cutting
Thats what my drive way looks like on the side!!! Awsome thats what I wanted to know. I was going to by a DR but I need to move dirt around, Stone for a parking area, mulch and other landscaping. So... why spend all the money on a DR and have to rent a tractor all the time when I can have one myself and get the work done at my pace.

/ Ck-20 brush cutting #23  
I haven't used my DR mower since I got the tractor(s). Nothing wrong with it and they are great devices compared to regular mowers but there is basically nothing it can do that a bush hog or flail mower cannot do better, faster, safer and with less sweat.

I did loan it to a neighor who used it to clear a narrow walking path through the woods to reach a blueberry patch. That is about the only thing it can do that the tractor is too big for.

/ Ck-20 brush cutting #24  
I agree with IslandTractor. I had a DR that was fine and did a good job, but it sure did work you to death. Once I got a tractor and rotary mower the DR never got used. Sold mine and haven't missed it.

Cut the biggest stuff with a chainsaw and have at everything under a 1 1/2" with a rotary mower.

MarkV

MarkV

/ Ck-20 brush cutting #25  
I'm REAL green at this - would you just drive the tractor over small saplings (under 1 1/2" thick) and let the bush hog do the rest? I too have some acreage to clear eventually and hope to buy a tractor in the spring once another bill is done.

/ Ck-20 brush cutting #26  
I'm REAL green at this - would you just drive the tractor over small saplings (under 1 1/2" thick) and let the bush hog do the rest? I too have some acreage to clear eventually and hope to buy a tractor in the spring once another bill is done.

thats the best way to do it. You can back into some stuff if the situation arises, but most damage is done to a bush hog when they are being backed up.

/ Ck-20 brush cutting #27  
thats the best way to do it. You can back into some stuff if the situation arises, but most damage is done to a bush hog when they are being backed up.

Driving forwards is generally preferred for smaller brush but you need to consider the risk to the underbelly of the tractor compared with the risk to the tailwheel of the mower or strain on the 3pt hitch when backing up.

I did most mowing of material in the 1/2 inch range going forwards and of larger stuff going backwards. I wouldn't hesitate to go forwards over a single 1.5 inch sapling but in my experience stuff like that was usually in dense patches and it made more sense to back into the briar/bush/saplings than to drive forwards.

There is little risk to damaging either mower or 3pt hitch going backwards if you are watching what you are doing and noting whether the mower is indeed moving straight back or being pushed to one side by a stump etc.

/ Ck-20 brush cutting #28  
Thanks - I was wondering about damage to the underside of a tractor. Didn't know if any hoses, etc could be snagged that way or not or if it depends on the tractor brand/model. (So far I'm leaning toward the Kioti CK20S HST)

/ Ck-20 brush cutting #29  
Thanks - I was wondering about damage to the underside of a tractor. Didn't know if any hoses, etc could be snagged that way or not or if it depends on the tractor brand/model. (So far I'm leaning toward the Kioti CK20S HST)

I never had any trouble with my CK20 but as I noted earlier I generally backed into thick brush with the mower. I have disconnected vulnerable electrics a couple of times giong forward in brush with my DK.

/ Ck-20 brush cutting #30  
Just keep the radiator screens clean. Brush cutting kicks up a lot of "stuff" that plugs up the screens frequently.