CK20 persistent hydraulic oil filter leak

/ CK20 persistent hydraulic oil filter leak #1  

rimshot

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2510 HST
OK, I just completed my 600 mile maintenance for my CK-20 HST (s) tractor. That means I have cranked on a new hydraulic filter for the fourth time since I have owned this great little tractor. For the fourth time also I get this small but annoying leak at the filter gasket. The book claims you screw the filter on quickly (why the hurry?)and when the gasket makes contact screw by hand no more then a half of a turn.

Hardy Har Har! If I did that I could dwarf the BP Gulf oil leak with hydraulic oil. Every time in order to stop any leak I am forced to crank tightly to tighten this filter with a filter band wrench. That's just the way it is. Oh, I will stop this leak but the danger is some day not being able to get a filter off but so far no problems there provide of course I use the wrench. Of course I always lubricate the gasket before installing a new can. I'm talking about the big grey bottom hydraulic filter.

Anybody else have the same issue?

rim

/ CK20 persistent hydraulic oil filter leak #2  
rimshot, Have you taken a clean rag ect. and wipe the seating surface where the filter seal meets the housing, could be a magnetized piece of metal sticking to it causing it not to seal properly under normal pressure.

Don't think you need to be in that big of hurry when changing.

/ CK20 persistent hydraulic oil filter leak
I always wipe that surface down but next time I will make it a point to check it scrupulously.

thanks,

rim

/ CK20 persistent hydraulic oil filter leak #5  
I always tighten a filter more than the directions say,and always manage to get it off,,what a fellow don't want is a small leak and than it running out of a oil while you're using tractor and blow something up,rather deal with a tight filter than a blown motor.

is there any paint left on the metal surface ??
=============
Never thought of that. Next time I change it i will inspect the engine mating surface with a magnifing glass. There could easily be some pain
ton that suface.

=============I always tighten a filter more than the directions say,and always manage to get it off,,what a fellow don't want is a small leak and than it running out of a oil while you're using tractor and blow something up,rather deal with a tight filter than a blown motor.
(Gauthier)

Hi Gauthier,

The engine filter is never a problem as it always manages to seal. The transmission Hydraulic is never a problem either.
That big grey one always leaks initially and while I am aways able to get it to seal eventually it requires its share of tweaking.

thanks to all

rim

/ CK20 persistent hydraulic oil filter leak #7  
Well,you never know,might have a nick or deeper scratch on filter housing area,that won't seal right till you tighten it extra tight,might have a little crack,,next time you change filter a proper inspection might be needed,my ck30[only changed it once so far,has never leaked a drop...]

/ CK20 persistent hydraulic oil filter leak #8  
When you changed your filters, have you ever noticed a dent in the one you take off? Some members, with CK30s, have posted hitting the filter while being in the woods and I know my bh frame is close when I'm installing the bh. Some have had to replace the filter mounting block after breaking or cracking it from a good it. Maybe there is a hairline crack in the mount that doesn't open up until there is hyd pressure. Just a thought for an odd leak. My CK30 has never leaked but I do give it more than a half a turn. I go until it's snug, probably 3/4 turn and it still comes off for the next change.

When you changed your filters, have you ever noticed a dent in the one you take off? Some members, with CK30s, have posted hitting the filter while being in the woods and I know my bh frame is close when I'm installing the bh. Some have had to replace the filter mounting block after breaking or cracking it from a good it. Maybe there is a hairline crack in the mount that doesn't open up until there is hyd pressure. Just a thought for an odd leak. My CK30 has never leaked but I do give it more than a half a turn. I go until it's snug, probably 3/4 turn and it still comes off for the next change.
===================

I actually don't believe that I ever hit the filter while operating the tractor or even while removing or replacing the backhoe. It is possible that something on engine that mates up with seal has a drop of paint on it or some distortion preventing a good seal. It's kind of hard to see up there when filter is off but I will do an extra special inspection of that engine surface next time I change the filter. I have to say however that so far as I am concerned the book missed the boat on hand tight and then 1/2 turn for a tightening suggestion. Mine would certainly leak if I stuck to that.

rimshot

/ CK20 persistent hydraulic oil filter leak #10  
Are you still leaking?

If you are you might want to just go buy another NEW filter and replace. Sometimes mating surfaces don't always line up like they should (good explanation for bad manufacturing - LIKE that!?! LOL).

Unknowing to you, I would hate to say something could have hit the filter and cracked the housing - but there is always that possibility.

First thing I would do is go get a NEW KIOTI filter and see if that fixes it. If not order a filter base and install on the tractor. There are O-rings on the metal lines - don't forget to order them also. You will need them, if you don't replace you could suck air and cause a whole number of other problems - lubricate before installation.

DO NOT over-tighten filter. When you over-tighten you take the possiblity of pressing the gasket out (causing a leak). Tighten filter hand tight then 1/2 turn with PROPER wrench.

Tony