Apologies for the crosspost. 'Clutch' noise on a 'white' CK35?

/ Apologies for the crosspost. 'Clutch' noise on a 'white' CK35? #1  

jcims

Gold Member
Hi Folks,

Apologies if this is poor form. I just wanted to get a few more eyeballs on this to see if anyone has input before I make a decision tomorrow.

I'm demoing a CT235 (CK35 in white) this weekend and wonder if this noise is anything to be concerned about. It's a high pitched rattle, like sheetmetal or linkages are rattling, when the motor is running 1500-2500 RPM. The noise goes away completely when I push in the clutch. I made a vid so you could hear the sound, but it doesn't come through as clearly as you can hear it in person (very obvious from the pilot's seat).

YouTube - Bobcat CT235 'Clutch' Noise

It could be clutch linkage, but the sound only goes away after you are an inch or so into the travel. Tractor only has 3rs on it. Hard to pinpoint the source when i look around under there.

Thanks for any input!

Bob

/ Apologies for the crosspost. 'Clutch' noise on a 'white' CK35? #2  
I didn't hear the rattle but it could be the guard by the exh.pipe.With 3 hrs. it will be a warranty issue so if you like the tractor,well?:)Dave

/ Apologies for the crosspost. 'Clutch' noise on a 'white' CK35? #3  
I could not tell from the video but suspect it's a bad throw out bearing. Had the same symptoms on a CK-20 (periodic whirring sound but push in on clutch and it went away) The dealer got right after it on warranty and fixed it. You have to split the tractor to replace a throw out.
The tractor returned from dealer like brand new and now has 640 hours on it, running great. After I SHUT tractor off I can hear bearing (t.O.) spin down but no more whirring/rattling sounds.

rimshot

/ Apologies for the crosspost. 'Clutch' noise on a 'white' CK35? #4  
If it's a sort of tinging noise.....
It's nothing to worry about......they will do that, most noticeable from the rear of the machine.
They have done that ever since the LK3054 was first introduced.
It has to do with the gears on the PTO.
Ask the dealer if you can listen to others just like it.
If all shifters are set in the same position I bet you'll get the noise.
The noise of a TO bearing is more like a dry bearing sound.
Sort of like a bark LOL

BTI

/ Apologies for the crosspost. 'Clutch' noise on a 'white' CK35?
Thanks for the note guys, I'm leaning towards BTI's description because it is a bit more of a tinging noise than a bearing bark :). I will ask if i can listen to others, he's got a few more CT2xx's in stock.

Appreciate the help. It's like taking a new baby home from the hospital, every little thing makes you sit up and take notice. :)

/ Apologies for the crosspost. 'Clutch' noise on a 'white' CK35?
I don't know if this is related or not, but three times now i've heard a very distinct 'grinding' noise coming from the same area of the tractor (area where mid-pto would be). Both times today the tractor (again, CT235, but figure these parts are the same) was in 2WD, in High range, going on a slight grade up. Once at ~1500rpm and the other at ~2200 rpm, just transporting a new grapple from the road to my garage (yay!).

Anyway, the sound is precisely like someone jamming a car in reverse, a grinding gear sound that slows to a stop. Funny thing is, i feel nothing in the wheel, foot pedal, there is no engine response (lugging/stuttering) and the thing just keeps motoring along. It could be playing in a loudspeaker for all the 'additional' input is concerned.

She's only got 13 hours on her at the moment, and going back to the dealer for a remote/block heater install. Problem is i can't really reproduce it on demand.

Thoughts? Throwout bearing after all? Could be a bearing rattle i guess...not sure exactly what it sounds like.

/ Apologies for the crosspost. 'Clutch' noise on a 'white' CK35? #7  
Could be the hydraulic lines vibrating.
This is easy to test.
Run the revs up at rest and see it you can hear it.
Or put some inner tube or other material like rubber or leather around the lines and a hose clamp just tightened a little.
Just to troubleshoot, then go from there.

BTI

/ Apologies for the crosspost. 'Clutch' noise on a 'white' CK35? #8  
I have a rattle at certain RPM's but ti goes away when I push in the clutch and after a lot of searching I found that it was the "legs" on the FEL that are set on the ground when you take the loader off.

Why it stopped when the clutch was engaged I don't know but that was the rattle I'd heard.