First Post: Engine Swap Kioti LB2204

/ First Post: Engine Swap Kioti LB2204 #1  

stutzfam815

Tractor
1986 Kioti LB2204
This is my first post although I joined this site over a year ago. I thought this might help someone else in the same situation.

Last winter my Kioti LB2204 threw a rod and after splitting the tractor I found a hole in the block behind the starter. The Kioti dealer could no longer order a block and a replacement engine through them was $4300. The replacement engine they could get was actually for the 2554 because Kioti no longer makes the engine for the LB2204. Since money was tight I had to look into options to get my tractor running again. Kubota seemed like the most likely since there are a large number of used Kubota engines for sale in the US.

During my research I found out about the joint venture between Daedong and Kubota in the early eighties to build tractors. Daedong designed the sheet metal on the tractor and provided the transmission while Kubota supplied the engines. The partnership between the two companies was ended because Kubota suspected Daedong of stealing proprietary information.

After taking measurements of my engine and comparing them to the information on the following website I decided a D1402/3 Kubota engine would be the best to try for an engine swap.

www.dieselenginemotor.com/kubota/super03/page2.html

I finally found a Kubota D1402 engine on Craigslist for $500 and I bought it not knowing if it would fit. The engine fit in the tractor with ease. I was able to use the oil pan, oil pickup tube, starter, flywheel, alternator, alternator bracket, pilot bearing, bell housing, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, accessory drive gear, hydraulic pump, fan, belt, and radiator hoses from my old engine.

It appears that they copied Kubota's engine design really good.

I only had to make a pull lever for the fuel shut off from the pump to the dash and plug the extra cooling line that connected below the fuel pump on my old engine. The left front upper bolt in the block did not line up with the hole in the frame but the other 7 line up perfectly.

I got the engine in and running in two days and then immediately started catching up on the jobs I couldn't complete in the 9 months my tractor was down.

The new engine runs better than the old ever did since I bought it at an auction in 2007. This engine is also about 5hp more than the original engine.

/ First Post: Engine Swap Kioti LB2204 #2  
Nice job! :thumbsup: Any pics?

/ First Post: Engine Swap Kioti LB2204 #3  
nice job! :thumbsup: Have you got to do much work with your tractor since you got it fixed?

/ First Post: Engine Swap Kioti LB2204
Sorry guys I was so excited to finally have an engine I just started putting it together. It was as straight forward as it would have been with a factory replacement.

After I got the engine in I dug a 75ft trench 30in deep to run electricity out to the gas shed so we don't have to run an extension cord out every time we want to fuel up the equipment.

I did some dirt work around my 24'x48' shed at my place so the water will runaway from the shed. Just waiting for more time to get more dirt work done around the house.

/ First Post: Engine Swap Kioti LB2204 #6  
This is my first post although I joined this site over a year ago. I thought this might help someone else in the same situation.

Last winter my Kioti LB2204 threw a rod and after splitting the tractor I found a hole in the block behind the starter. The Kioti dealer could no longer order a block and a replacement engine through them was $4300. The replacement engine they could get was actually for the 2554 because Kioti no longer makes the engine for the LB2204. Since money was tight I had to look into options to get my tractor running again. Kubota seemed like the most likely since there are a large number of used Kubota engines for sale in the US.

During my research I found out about the joint venture between Daedong and Kubota in the early eighties to build tractors. Daedong designed the sheet metal on the tractor and provided the transmission while Kubota supplied the engines. The partnership between the two companies was ended because Kubota suspected Daedong of stealing proprietary information.

After taking measurements of my engine and comparing them to the information on the following website I decided a D1402/3 Kubota engine would be the best to try for an engine swap.

www.dieselenginemotor.com/kubota/super03/page2.html

I finally found a Kubota D1402 engine on Craigslist for $500 and I bought it not knowing if it would fit. The engine fit in the tractor with ease. I was able to use the oil pan, oil pickup tube, starter, flywheel, alternator, alternator bracket, pilot bearing, bell housing, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, accessory drive gear, hydraulic pump, fan, belt, and radiator hoses from my old engine.

It appears that they copied Kubota's engine design really good.

I only had to make a pull lever for the fuel shut off from the pump to the dash and plug the extra cooling line that connected below the fuel pump on my old engine. The left front upper bolt in the block did not line up with the hole in the frame but the other 7 line up perfectly.

I got the engine in and running in two days and then immediately started catching up on the jobs I couldn't complete in the 9 months my tractor was down.

The new engine runs better than the old ever did since I bought it at an auction in 2007. This engine is also about 5hp more than the original engine.
Good one.Congrats on a job well done.

/ First Post: Engine Swap Kioti LB2204 #7  
You did your homework and it paid off. Nice job. Also, thanks for the info. I'm sure it will help others with those models.

/ First Post: Engine Swap Kioti LB2204 #8  
Amazing the information on the Internet

/ First Post: Engine Swap Kioti LB2204 #9  
6-28-11, why did you have to "split" the tractor apart..? Nothing in my repair manual says that's necessary; also, you didn't mention about matching up the transmission with the engine how was that done...? Your story sound like "too much sugar." Two hours to do all this...! takes me a hour just to change the oil and filter. Sound's bogus to me..!

/ First Post: Engine Swap Kioti LB2204 #10  
6-28-11, why did you have to "split" the tractor apart..? Nothing in my repair manual says that's necessary; also, you didn't mention about matching up the transmission with the engine how was that done...? Your story sound like "too much sugar." Two hours to do all this...! takes me a hour just to change the oil and filter. Sound's bogus to me..!

He said two DAYS not hours. Sounds reasonable for someone who knows what they are doing as the OP clearly does.